SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(you may have already seen this posting the R subforum and the S40/V50 subforum)

Many of us in the Atlanta area have been wanting to organize another Tail of the Dragon trip with the local chapter. We will more than welcome other Volvos!

The plan is to make it a full Saturday trip. We'll probably be hitting the mountain roads, from Fontana Resort, around 10:30am and finishing that drive with the dragon and lunch. Take some pictures at Fontana Dam, and then slay the dragon twice more before heading home.

August 4th is the for sure date!

Attendees:
MyNameIdeasWereTaken - S40
urinalcake - S60R
aldebaran - S40
tuscani66 - S60R
vLGrok - S60R
Hooch - C30
Kelly (from Facebook) - C30
mmustangsrus - S60

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plans for the Tail of the Dragon day:

9:30 Meet and Greet at Fontana Village Gas Station (do not buy gas here, costs about $0.20 more per gallon)
10:30 Departing the Resort, first stop will be a real gas station for anyone who needs to fill up. Then following a planned route (if you were with the 2012 CTD group, this will be similar to the Friday drive) through the mountain roads, Cherohala Skyway, and Concluding on the dragon. (there will be multiple stops to take pictures of scenery and cars, should be about a 4 hour drive)
2:30 Lunch at Deal’s Gap Motorcycle Resort (bring your own lunch or eat in the restaurant)
4:00 Group shot at Fontana Dam and extra time to let lunch settle :pic:
5:00 Slay the dragon again, stopping at Chilhowee Lake to let the tires cool down and maybe take another group shot. :pic:
Then drive the dragon one last time and return to the Gas Station at Fontana Village for farewells and grouping-up with your convoys.
We should be done and heading back home by 7:00-8:00ish.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Items to Bring:

A basic two way radio to have in your car. We will be using these to communicate while driving, warn of potential hazards on the road, notify when we make stops, etc.
Lunch/snacks. We won't be stopping for actual lunch until 2:30.
Cameras, GoPros, etc. We'll have multiple photo opportunities along the drive and I'm sure you'll want to record your dragon slaying experience.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are for sure going to go, please reply to this thread or PM me. I will keep a list of all the attendees in the first posting. If you're on that list, we will be sure to wait for you before departing on that Saturday. Otherwise, you're on your own.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I was there with the C30 group; it was an absolute BLAST. Well worth the trip, if anyone is considering it.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was there with the C30 group; it was an absolute BLAST. Well worth the trip, if anyone is considering it.
With your own car or were you a co-driver? (I don't see a C30 in your sig)

Just trying to put usernames with all the faces I saw.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's getting closer!!! Hoping to finish up a few more car projects and detail my car before the trip.

So for the GA convoy people:

I live in Woodstock and I will be heading north on 575. Who would like to join me? We can figure out a good meeting place based on where we all live. PM me!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Alright, I'm in! It's official I just booked my self a room. It killed me this spring that my car didn't make here in time for the C30 trip, so this time I'm going.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription
262 Posts
Plans keep changing. I am heading up this Monday, just a 2 day trip with a friend. Plans for the 4th are looking like a beach trip, but if that does not pan out, may go again on this trip.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Alright, I'm in! It's official I just booked my self a room. It killed me this spring that my car didn't make here in time for the C30 trip, so this time I'm going.
Great. But where do you live in NC? It's really not that far to go there and back in a day. I'm making it a day trip.
It looks like I'll be bringing the S40 for this.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription
262 Posts
Great. But where do you live in NC? It's really not that far to go there and back in a day. I'm making it a day trip.
Per my GPS, it's 4 hours from Greensboro to the Fontana. I think adding 6 or so hours of driving up there, that makes for a very long day to turn around and drive back that evening. I know for me I have limits on how long I can drive due to back problems. That's why I got a room (actually, got a great deal on a cabin) for Monday night, then I can take another lap in the morning before heading home. if I go on this trip, I'll do the same.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll add you to the list!

I will make note. Looks like we'll have at least 3 S40s now

Per my GPS, it's 4 hours from Greensboro to the Fontana.
That is a bit of a drive. It's about 3 from where I live, I love 70mph speed zones :D

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Important information, please read:

Driving route plans will be posted soon.

Any cars that will be coming with you (and if they're not on the attendees list) will be your responsibility to keep with the group. I will do everything I can to make sure our Volvo group doesn't get split up, but I won't know who to look/wait for if they're not on my list.

For those of you who wish to take part of the GA convoy, we will be meeting at the Dunkin Donuts on Towne Lake Parkway (off 575, exit 8) at 6:15am. We will be leaving from there, no later than 6:30. Please PM me if you wish to take part in our convoy, so I can be sure you're with us before we take off.

If your name is not on the attendees list in the original posting, let me know and I will get you added.

If you are for sure attending, please PM me your name and phone number. This is only for contact purposes if you become absent on our drive.

I look forward to seeing you all there :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Per my GPS, it's 4 hours from Greensboro to the Fontana. I think adding 6 or so hours of driving up there, that makes for a very long day to turn around and drive back that evening. I know for me I have limits on how long I can drive due to back problems. That's why I got a room (actually, got a great deal on a cabin) for Monday night, then I can take another lap in the morning before heading home. if I go on this trip, I'll do the same.
Yeah, I gave in and booked a iddy biddy cabin called, Off The Deep Inn...lol. It's the cheapest one I could find along the way, $75 a night.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription
262 Posts
Yeah, I gave in and booked a iddy biddy cabin called, Off The Deep Inn...lol. It's the cheapest one I could find along the way, $75 a night.
That is a great price! Is that at The Fontana? When I called the other day to get a room, they only had 1 room left, a smoking room. No thanks. When I said I was coming up to drive the dragon and Cherahola, she offered a "dragon slayer" rate on the cabin, $111 for the night, only $3 more than the room. This way my friend and I each get a room. Not bad. Been looking at the calendar today, I think I will try to make this trip, just want to check one more travel plan with a friend. Can't let Hooch be the only C30!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in Raleigh. Google maps says 5 hours 22 minutes. That's a lot of driving for a down and back trip. I've always been pretty hardcore about road trips and driving, but I'm getting to old for 20+ hours in one day. :(

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
That is a great price! Is that at The Fontana? When I called the other day to get a room, they only had 1 room left, a smoking room. No thanks. When I said I was coming up to drive the dragon and Cherahola, she offered a "dragon slayer" rate on the cabin, $111 for the night, only $3 more than the room. This way my friend and I each get a room. Not bad. Been looking at the calendar today, I think I will try to make this trip, just want to check one more travel plan with a friend. Can't let Hooch be the only C30!
Yup that's 8 miles east of Fontana Dam. It's actually right on Fontana Road (28). It's a Mom and Pop place and they only have 4 small cabins. It's just the bare essentials, but I'm a tent camper so this is more than adequate. If it weren't so hot, I would've tried a camp site.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts