SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Astra may have totaled itself last week. :facepalm: I saw an ad for a S80 T6 with about 70k in my 10k price range if the Astra is history. While not a fan of automatics, and not a fan of sedans, and hence, not a fan of large automatic sedans, I do have my roadster, and may have another track car soon so I may cave in to she who must be obeyed and get something more "practical" than a little two door hatch.

Are the tranny problems unique to the XC90 because of ............ (Insert whatever it is), or are the GM transmission problems common to the 2.9 T6?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figure that 1st gen S80 T6 transaxle failures are not as common as is typical for the XC90 T6 because the S80 weighs like half a ton less.
so if i buy an 04 with 70k should i expect to go to 150k (no mods, old fahrt driven) or should i expect a new tranny soon? also, is it a 3k job or a 6k rebuild like ive read about with the xc90?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
A couple of threads I've read on the T6 S80 seem to indicate a higher than usual transmission failure rate between 120 and 150,000 miles. But nothing like the T6 XC90. I know someone whose owned a 1999 T6 S80 for about three years now, and he loves it. Even with his high mileage, there's no hint of a tranny failure. I forget his mileage though.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I had a 2002.5 S80 T6 Premier that I bought new in early 2003. The transmission crapped out at almost 90k 3 years later.

Before that, I had a 1999 S80 T6 that had a transmission replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soif my Astra is totalled, how much should I budget assuming the tranny is on the way out?

I saw the ad for the S80 and it looks like a clean relatively low mileage car. if they total the Astra I will need wheels quickly so i dont have to drive the roadster every day. that limits my ability to choose what I want, so i am looking for something with a lot of miles left in it before i have to do the little things. I know how little things are holding up on her XC90 with 82k so I feel comfortable with a S80 with 70k figuring control arm bushings last a little longer, etc.and should get me to say 80k before i do preventative maintenace other than brakes and a tune up. i drive 9 miles to work each day and then run a few errands. I want something i can sell relatively quickly for not too much of a loss when i decide what i want.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Demand for P2 S80's is almost nil.

Better off buying a generic Jap 4 banger.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
soif my Astra is totalled, how much should I budget assuming the tranny is on the way out?
A ton!
About 6K (retail)
When the trans fails on these it also usually requires a new radiator and coolant line.
By design, they cross contaminate and if you don't replace all the parts required the chance of another failure real soon is a distinct posibility/probability!

It's a shame, these are nice cars to drive, with a decent, very quick engine and terrific seats

·
Registered
668 Posts
A ton!
By design, they cross contaminate and if you don't replace all the parts required the chance of another failure real soon is a distinct possibility/probability!
Quick chicken and egg question, does the coolant contaminate the tranny fluid causing the tranny to fail, or does the tranny fail and then contaminate the coolant? If it is contamination and then failure, why has someone not built a nice drop in transmission cooler and plugs for the radiator transmission cooler? Is the market really that small? I would guess a $1500 price tag would be attractive! Does the T6 inter cooler take up too much room?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A ton!
About 6K (retail)
When the trans fails on these it also usually requires a new radiator and coolant line.
By design, they cross contaminate and if you don't replace all the parts required the chance of another failure real soon is a distinct posibility/probability!

It's a shame, these are nice cars to drive, with a decent, very quick engine and terrific seats
i guess that explains why the S60 has a higher asking price than the S80. my next conclusion is that if there was a preventative solution for a few hundred bucks this board would be all over it as well.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that adventure into S80 land is over. My Kimikaze Astra is not totalled. Only $6500 damage - all sheet metal. That thing is built volvo tough! Too bad for the other three cars. But I did decide if i need to replace the Astra in the future it would be for a 3 series. Even though i wanted FWD for the winter, the choices out there just dont cut it for me.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
That $6500 will climb.... I'm surprised it didn't total out your Astra.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That $6500 will climb.... I'm surprised it didn't total out your Astra.
went to 6800 today. it will be 6900 when they replace the rear fascia with a new instead of reconditioned one.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Lol @ 100 buck difference between new and recon
that's not the least of it. I just came back from the shop and the original estimate didnt include the busted brackets for the rear bumper. The cost is now above 7k. this is for damage from rolling unattended in a parking lot with a gentle slope. The best part is I paid a little less than 12k for the car out the door three + years and 27k miles ago.

Got a letter in today's mail telling me they totaled the car. Isn't that nice. would have been nicer if they told us that before the shop pounded a fender back to life,got a used door delivered, and ordered a quarter panel, etc.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Typical.

Well, if the S80 you're considering is the blue S80 T6 Premier that's advertised in the classifieds here, it looks to be a very well maintained car and if you service the transmission promptly and don't do any jackrabbit starts, you should be fine. I would strongly recommend bypassing the radiator transmission cooler and installing a Volvo auxiliary transmission cooler.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Typical.

Well, if the S80 you're considering is the blue S80 T6 Premier that's advertised in the classifieds here, it looks to be a very well maintained car and if you service the transmission promptly and don't do any jackrabbit starts, you should be fine. I would strongly recommend bypassing the radiator transmission cooler and installing a Volvo auxiliary transmission cooler.
it was a blue one on craigslist. i will check out the one here. if i get a four door i want it to be big enough for my 6'2 and 6'4 friends to fit in with scrawny me and another pencil necked geek without being on top of each other. I dont think a 3 sedan will do that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts