SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're on the fence about purchasing a VIDA/DICE unit, I highly recommend it. I've had it going for a few days and I've already learned a lot about the car and saved a lot of dough.

Once I got the unit working, I did a SUM calibration, which noticeably improved the suspension. I'm not sure what dealers charge to do this, but I imagine it is at least $100. The calibration is amazingly simple to run. You simply click on the SUM computer icon, then click advanced:

Once you've done that, an explanation screen pops up with instructions on how to run the calibration. You simply follow the directions and click on the "VTC2000" icon and it does the rest:

Next, I went and checked the readings on each of my struts. As you know, these are very expensive and you don't want to replace them (at $300-$400 x 4 + labor) unless they need to be replaced. They were operating well within acceptable limits.

The biggest savings involved my AWD issue. Long story short, the AWD was not working because of a fault with the pump. The VIDA/DICE told me that the code was DEB-00B (b, not 8) which it described as:
Differential Electronic Module (DEM) calculates an expected oil pressure increase in the AOC-unit (the mechanical clutch) during driving. The control module checks how reasonable the oil pressure change is by comparing the calculated value with the signal from the oil pressure sensor.
If the signal deviates too much from the expected value the control module interprets this as a malfunction, and the diagnostic trouble code is generated.
The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) can be diagnosed when driving.

The VIDA/DICE told me that the issue had happened 435 cycles (starts) in a row. It appeared that the oil temperature sensor was malfunctioning because it was consistently reading -60C. I beileve that this reading caused the pump not to activate because, if it was really -60C outside, then the oil would be too thick to properly work and might even damage the AOC pump. Stated another way, the faulty temperature reading tricked the pump into thinking it was too cold to operate properly.

I went through the DEM module trouble shooting options, which run a number of tests on the AWD unit. The tests are simple to run, for instance to run this test, you simply click on the "VTC2000" icon and the test will run:

I am not sure exactly what the "fix" was, but long story short, since I connected the VIDA/DICE to the car and went through the tests/diagnostics, my AWD has been working. This saved me a few hundred bucks at a minimum and perhaps several thousand if a dealer had simply used the "just replace the whole unit" philosophy of car repair. I have had 11 consecutive starts with the AWD unit operating correctly:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts

·
2,538 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
tune

yes it should work bc he sent me the link
Ooohh, he says this one

Ive been looking for a unit but scared it wont work with his tune

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a vida/dice unit. Whats the difference Between these two Dice units, and which one should I buy?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2012...7UUmtYhXLh5bQNXlJjcj_Vi_fGeb&cn=9263&cv=15091

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013...so-Volvo-Protocol-support-SELF/437145144.html
The leather case :)

Ordered mine from this seller, service was great but slow to respond and was usually in broken English as they are located in Hong Kong, seller really cares about a good rating. My version came with the 2013 VIDA and has worked flawlessly!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Any dice clone unit will work with any volvo after 1999 with or without a jacked up /tuned ecu. With dice clone + software you're not re-programming the ECU or updating any of the module softwarez, youre just reading, diagnosing, setting parameters etc. Just keep it offline so vida doesnt try to update dice firmware or try to update itself.

I got the expensive one on ebay ($120) fr SoCal in 2 days... was up and running about an hour after it arrived. Did the SUM cal, cleared some old DTC's, tested modules and then downloaded the vida manual. Spent hours messing around with it. Definite must have if you read this forum and are averse to spending $$ w the under-trained and still struggling w car electronics indys, techs, the dealer etc.

read first: http://workshopsupportguide.volvocars.biz/media/6339/VIDA_Help_All-in-one_50EN25.pdf

·
2,538 Posts
They give us the option for 2013 or 2014 VIDA, is one better than the other? I have a windows 7 computor that Ill use for it, if that makes a difference

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
They give us the option for 2013 or 2014 VIDA, is one better than the other? I have a windows 7 computor that Ill use for it, if that makes a difference
2013 works with WinXP Pro
2014 will not work with WinXP Pro. Requires Win 7 Pro/Enterprise or Win 8.1 Pro as a operating system

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Does anyone feel strongly between these two

Recommendation from Rob at Hilton Tuning but reported that seller is slow to respond and English is crippled 2014a
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2012...ot-dice-vida-pro-volvo-scanner/511963060.html

Recommendation from others due to in country shipper and success using unit 2013d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-VIDA-...pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item35d9d1537a&rmvSB=true

I'm the type to want to save a quick buck but will steer away from the cheaper (Chinese) price if people have had difficulties installing and getting started. Having a US seller usually comes with benefits but who cares if neither ever present a problem. Any advantage of 2014a over 2013d? The leather case is nice too :)

I plan to run on Windows 7 64 bit and would definitely appreciate not having to use a virtual machine of XP to get it working.

·
2,538 Posts
I'm the type to want to save a quick buck but will steer away from the cheaper (Chinese) price if people have had difficulties installing and getting started. Having a US seller usually comes with benefits but who cares if neither ever present a problem. Any advantage of 2014a over 2013d? The leather case is nice too :)
Go with the one Rob at Hilton recommends! I decided to go with that one and I got Fedex IP shipping, it shipped friday evening (Their time) and arrived at my door before 1030 Monday morn. In the notes put 2014A as it is more stable than 2013 I beleive and it installs smoother in Windows 7. I had 0 problems with it, the DICE unit is made of full metal shell, the wires are overwhelmingly thick and sturdy. It did come with instructions which explains how to do it all. There is a video on Youtube search "How to install Vida 2014" and it shows exactly what you will see. It took me about 20 mins to install and worked right away. If you have a windows 7 pro computer, with required space and RAM then you will have 0 problems. If you have Windows XP, ask for 2013. They put a liscense agreement and read me's on the disk for help

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I do have Windows 7 pro 64 bit with at least 40GB space on my C drive and 6.0GB of RAM so I should be in a swinging good position.

I like the leather case just for the fact that if it is bumped or dropped from a low height, it will protect it immensely from scuffing and damaging internals.

And if I do have problems during the install, I'm bugging the crap out of you because you made the recommendation :D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.