SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night going to grab dinner I got rear ended by a kid who was clearly not paying attention, my R was paid off so I have liability only and the kid doesn't have insurance, I need to get some qoutes from some body shops. (if anyone has suggestions in southern nh let me know) Im pretty sure the R is toast idk what to do since he doesnt have insurance anyone have this kind of problem before? ill post pics in a few, but I may just part it out. (Lots and lots of mods for all you vultures) :p Or maybe just sell her for like 3 grand to the first buyer who comes to pick her up. any offers pm me. It still runs fine, oh and by the way the volvo won big time! the f-150 that hit me is pretty effed up. ;)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
If the kid is under age, the parents are responsible. I'd go for it to at least get the money out of the R.
I can't believe people can drive around without insurance in this day and age.

Sorry to hear about your lose.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what's probolbly gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I'd say, take them to court for the damages. And go to the doc and check up if you've suffered any injuries, if you've have, make some medical claims as well. Not saying to screw them over, but to get what you deserve. Once you do, hop right back into a 07 R...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great body shop

Sorry to hear you got tagged. My wife got rear ended by a 3 series BMW last spring in our 05 V50 - she was stopped waiting to turn and the moron (on his iphone)basically drove into her, swerving only at the last second so he slammed into the right rear quarter. I was sure it was going to be totalled, (frame damage and deformed enough so the rear doors wouldn't close) but once it was taken to the shop, the other guys insurance said it was okay to fix.

I was skeptical, but after about $9000 dollars of straightening and whatnot, the car came back and frankly, it drives as tight as when it was new. AWD (not that we needed it much this year) is fine, the doors still open and close smoothly. We had it taken to

Cote's Auto Body Inc
58 Winter Street, Exeter, NH 03833
(603) 772-4344

They do a ton of work on volvos, including those for Precision Auto in Rowley - the go to place for R's in the area. (They recommended Cote's) Precision often buys wrecks, has the body work done at Cote's, and then gets them back on the road for a decent price.

So. Before you write off the R, give Tim at Precision a call - he'll vouch for Cote's. Side note on insurance in NH - our first V70 (a 98) was totalled at the same intersection about four years before that accident. Young clown didn't know the road turned and decided to hit my wife's driver side door at about 40 mph. Thankfully, the V70 did it's job so she's okay (now). We first tried to deal mostly with our insurance company, but as things progressed, we finally got a lawyer.

Once the dust settled, we got a 08 V70 compliments of the other driver's dad. Oh, and enough cash left over that when I finally ran across an 06 sonic/atacama V70R, we could buy that too. If you would like a referal for the lawyer, send me a PM. We really didn't want to go the lawyer route, but we were naive. Once we let a professional handle it, while I wouldn't say it was a pleasant experience, at least it worked out in our favor at the end.

Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
first off, un(der)insured motorist insurance is worth it...too late now obviously lol

even at 23 if he lives with his parents and is claimed on taxes as DEPENDENT then they are still liable for him. First thing is first, go talk to his parents, explain you don't want to go to court. See if you can work out a resolution with them. Everything will depend on what happens with them. It's quite possible they have the ability to claim their son on their insurance as a dependent and get it paid off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A little more info - this was an eighty thousand dollar accident by the time the dust settled. (And the lawyers settled). I wouldn't worry too much about the insurance/no insurance deal yet, and no matter how nice your insurance company might sound to you, they do not work for you - in fact, their job is to give you as little as possible so that they get to keep more.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gos to show how important full coverage is these days, especially for are cars. These things are pretty expensive to repair. I might tempt only liability in a Taurus, with junkyards full if them, but definitely not a Volvo.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We didn't want to go to court either (and these things never get that far.) If you like your R, talk to a lawyer. Working out a resolution with someone sounds nice, but my guess is that every day that this stretches out is one more day you won't see a penny. I went down the "let's keep it civil and simple" route in NH, and after six months, we finally got a lawyer. While it still took almost another year and a half to get resolved, it was resolved. To our satisfaction. And jr is no longer driving, since he can't afford a car and dad isn't going to give him any more money.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We didn't want to go to court either (and these things never get that far.) If you like your R, talk to a lawyer. Working out a resolution with someone sounds nice, but my guess is that every day that this stretches out is one more day you won't see a penny. I went down the "let's keep it civil and simple" route in NH, and after six months, we finally got a lawyer. While it still took almost another year and a half to get resolved, it was resolved. To our satisfaction. And jr is no longer driving, since he can't afford a car and dad isn't going to give him any more money.
thank you for all your input! its really appreciated. I hope I dont have to go to court but I will if I have to. Ill give your guys a call tomorrow and see if I can get a quote.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hi-I'm not sure about your state but in most states the insurance follows whoever the car is registered in. So if the car was registered under his parents name and they have insurance they/their insurance is liable. My brother works for Geico and has told me this a long time ago. Thats why it's not really good to let others drive your car because if they crash it and its insured in your name you are still responsible for the other persons damages. So I would definately check that situation out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cool - this is the leftovers (after the new 08 V70) of that first accident. Kind of took the sting out of things a bit, although the 98 was my wife's first "nice" car.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
first off, un(der)insured motorist insurance is worth it...too late now obviously lol

even at 23 if he lives with his parents and is claimed on taxes as DEPENDENT then they are still liable for him. First thing is first, go talk to his parents, explain you don't want to go to court. See if you can work out a resolution with them. Everything will depend on what happens with them. It's quite possible they have the ability to claim their son on their insurance as a dependent and get it paid off.
With all due respect, hire an attorney to contact the parents. Do not contact them personally. The attorney will probably work for 25% of the settlement. There is legal etiquette to follow here.

As DevolvR mentioned, go to your doctor for an examination.

Good luck. Glad you're okay.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts