SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a difference between the chassis split in late 07, and a difference between FWD manual and auto trans axles - BUT - is there a difference between AWD auto and manual trans axles? Thanks SS

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
This is not always true when looking at replacement numbers. These numbers have been superseded multiple times & any remaining splits have more to do with actual fitment. In certain cases I'm sure they are tying to get rid of "old stock" but you are taking a chance.

Take for example my own 2005 2.4i manual. No chassis split, same axle number used right through 2013 C30. Is the current axle identical to the one installed in 2005? No.

In the case of your AWD the left side axle has no chassis split & the same number is used right to the end of the AWD era. Right side has a chassis split for both auto & manual. The question becomes "Is the chassis split for actual fitment reasons or does it only remain to get rid of old stock?". I don't know. You will see that both the right & left axle numbers differ between FWD/AWD so I would tend to believe there is a fitment difference. Who knows for sure without looking them over though?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I can tell, there are 4 main types of axles: FWD auto FWD manual, AWD auto and AWD manual. As I recall, the AWD axles are shorter and auto and manual trans have different splines.

Right, it's true without looking at them. I physically looked at brand-new pre-07 and post-07 FWD manual axles - they are slightly different (can't recall if it was left or right side that I inspected). The splines are the same, the lengthes are the same, but the shafts were not. Most likely the post-07 axles supercede the pre-07.

I would be shocked if Volvo made length or spline changes to any of their specific drivetrains for the entire production line. That would mean different motors mounts and / or engine blocks, transmissions, subframes, etc etc. I mean, Volvo updates (tweaks) stuff, but rarely throws anything out during production runs.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Recall: No. 3 of 18
Recall Ref: R/2013/046
Exact Model: C30, S40 and V50
Description: LOSS OF DRIVE
VIN: 550114 to 565675, 635615 to 651965, 246534 to 266198
Build Date: 26-04-11 to 28-05-12
Numbers: 827
Defect: It is possible that the right hand driveshaft may not have been manufactured to the correct specification. This can ultimately, result in the failure of the drive shaft. This will be identified to the driver by noise and the loss of drive.
Action: Recall all affected vehicles and replace the right hand driveshaft.
Launch Date: 08 April 2013

https://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/...ID=C30&modelName=C30&makeName=Volvo&makeId=E9

·
Registered
113 Posts
Recall: No. 3 of 18
Recall Ref: R/2013/046
Exact Model: C30, S40 and V50
Description: LOSS OF DRIVE
VIN: 550114 to 565675, 635615 to 651965, 246534 to 266198
Build Date: 26-04-11 to 28-05-12
Numbers: 827
Defect: It is possible that the right hand driveshaft may not have been manufactured to the correct specification. This can ultimately, result in the failure of the drive shaft. This will be identified to the driver by noise and the loss of drive.
Action: Recall all affected vehicles and replace the right hand driveshaft.
Launch Date: 08 April 2013

https://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/...ID=C30&modelName=C30&makeName=Volvo&makeId=E9
Good one, no good on my MY05 build date though :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts