SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to stop looking at facebook classifieds.

Smells like wet dog and has a bad alternator, but otherwise a fine candidate for restore.

09 XC90 V8 AWD loaded to the gills, has 160K on the clock.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A Uhaul trailer and a 1-hour trip each way and she is home.

You can see the other V8 lurking in the back, not really happy about the new younger arrival.

The driver's floor mat is quite wet, started looking around to find the source of the leak and it's the usual.

Everything has to come out to clean this nasty wet smell out.

Not too bad

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
How difficult was it to remove the center console / shifter cover.
My shifter claw broke recently, so whenever I put the selector into Drive it flops over into the Geartronic track. Annoying.
Replacement part cost $20 but shop wanted $375 in labor. No thanks! I think I'll try it myself first if it isn't a horrendous job.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How difficult was it to remove the center console / shifter cover.
My shifter claw broke recently, so whenever I put the selector into Drive it flops over into the Geartronic track. Annoying.
Replacement part cost $20 but shop wanted $375 in labor. No thanks! I think I'll try it myself first if it isn't a horrendous job.
Super easy, 4 T25 torx and a wire connector. The only tricky bit is you have to leave the shift indicator panel plugged into the base as the wires don't unplug. So you have to thread that through the console as you lift it up.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
How does this request differ from other thread that you created in August? https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...nual-Mode-Near-Impossible-To-Go-Back-to-PRNDL . Information including a tutorial was provided in subpost #7, is there more that you wanted in order to effect the repair?

Here are a couple other links
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59272
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtAE3J34-Eg

Last but not least, there are a bunch of R&R instructions in VIDA for popping the cover and getting to the guts (section 433 adapter transmission, angle gear and overdrive), link for a copy is in the OBD forum. Headlight details are in there as well...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
How does this request differ from other thread that you created in August? Information including a tutorial was provided in subpost #7, is there more that you wanted in order to effect the repair?
I have not had to the time to do the repair yet, or a free weekend where I could risk having the truck off-line if something goes awry.

While videos and tutorials are wonderful aids, gathering direct feedback from someone who recently went through this process is also of value. Especially when a professional just quoted you $375 to do the job. In my mind this translates to ~3hr labor rate. Is Chilton just padding the time it takes or is there a quirk that slows the process down. Why not ask someone who was just there?

Last but not least, there are a bunch of R&R instructions in VIDA for ...
I do not have VIDA. When ChitownV was in town, he was gracious enough to meet me with his and run some scans.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Even if you don't have a DICE unit you can still install VIDA and use it basically as an electronic repair / diagnosis manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts