SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm sorry to make another post about engine oils, but I genuinely can't find the answer to my question.

I have a 2004 S60 2.5T AWD, and although it's an '04, it has the '05 facelift.

And this is the reason for my doubts, because on every website I see (including Oil manufacturers) , different oil recommendations are made for the pre-facelift S60's (up to 2004) and the post-facelift models.

For the pre-facelift models it's 5.8L of A3/B3 oil, for post-facelift models, 5.5L of A5/B5 is recommended.

Is there a way to know which oil specification my engine needs?
Maybe some different code in the VIN?

Thank's in advance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What does your owner's manual say? That would be the very minumum spec to consider.

2004 S60 manual: Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification GF-2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF and SJ/ Energy Conserving
2005 S60 manual: Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification GF-2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF and SJ/ Energy Conserving.

From new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does your owner's manual say? That would be the very minumum spec to consider.

2004 S60 manual: Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification GF-2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF and SJ/ Energy Conserving
2005 S60 manual: Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification GF-2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF and SJ/ Energy Conserving.

From new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/
I don't actually have an owner's manual.
The car came with a compreensive services book, but not the manual, go figure...

A lot of oil manufacturers including Castrol do this disctinction:

For neither of these models is the ACEA A1 specification recommended, it's either A3 or A5.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts