Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
M66 short shifter prototype.

Hi guys, I have been working on a M66 short shifter with a swedespeed and V70R board member for about 10 months :rolleyes:

We finally got a prototype finished about 3 weeks ago and want to post it up for you guys to check out. We tried 2 different revisions the way that TWM went and was not happy with the added resistance that having the cables elevated creates, so we went with the standard stick design. I really wanted one that would shorten the height of the shifter lever as well as shorten the length of the throw. Our prototype is as short as you can go with this method. It does involve removing a small amount of material from the base of the shifter assembly but nothing structural, this is just a small amount a material that needs to be removed.

The prototype has been installed and tested and works very well. I have the drawing at my machine shop and am waiting on a quote. Once I get a quote I will be able to give an estimated price and if there are people interested I'll pony up for a vendor membership or whatever it is called here and post up a group buy. The kit would come with new delrin shifter assembly bushings and a replacment clip that breaks upon removal from the stock assembly as well as installation instructions.

Thanks for looking here are a couple of pics.

Oh... IMPORTANT! the pictured shifter rod is with a TWM M1 knob but the design retains the stock shift knob and still has the shortened height. If you wanted to add an aftermarket knob you could do so but you would need to thread the end of the short shifter.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
- IBTL :p -

Seriously, that looks cool. But thanks for making me want an MT even more :(

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Very nice. How did you manage to shorten the actual rod? Was it permanently cut shorter?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm Sconeman's Co-conspirator on the Short Shift kit for P2 R cars...(that's my car in the video); we did try the plate-on-trans modification, led to added/unwanted stiffness in the action...longer lower stick works best according to our research...we've been playing around with this project for quite awhile.

I'll have my car P2 VR at SCD 11 August 29th for anyone who wants to try our Short Stick for themselves.

Nothing against Patrickd_21 or TWM; I have the M1 Abrams shift ball and I recommend both it and their company highly.

·
Registered
785 Posts
No hate but I just thought I would clarify a few things. The TWM shifter is not a simple plate that you bolt onto the stock cable location that would move the connection point up a noticeable amount. The TWM short shifter replaces the entire assembly on the transmission side and therefore retains a cable height that is extremely close to stock creating NO additional resistance whatsoever.

Also I would be curious to see what the shifter throw reduction is with this shifter seeing as there is no room under the shifter assembly to lengthen the lever length below the stock pivot point... (In your video, the throw is the stock throw with a cut shifter and an M1 Abrams at the lowest setting...or very close to that. There doesn't seem to be any actual reduction in throw distance)

Again, not hating...just curious...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah yes, thanks for the clarification. We had tried replacing the lever only and obviously the results were not good.

There is a lesser reduction than your design. I haven't figured out what that number is. Possibly around 25%

here's a pic of the first prototype to give you an idea how much longer it is under the pivot. Prototype is on top of pic.

·
Premium Member
440,741 Posts
Sorry, but the same rules apply. If you would like to use our forums to generate interest in your product, you'll need to contact me regarding advertising. TWM just signed up so they can sell their shifter, it's only fair that you do the same.

- Anthony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.