SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATED: Another Loss

First off, I didn't read the comparison test yet. I'll read it probably next week. The comparison isn't up on their site yet so I scanned it for you guys.

I'm not surprised that the S60 T6 lost in this comparo, but to come dead least. Hrm.... I think it deserves to be placed above the Mercedes C250 Sport and Infinity G25. Though the criticism they made about the S60 are fairly valid in my opinion. I think it would have been a better comparo if they used the T5 instead of the T6 as the car would be lighter, making it more fun in the twisties and thus, the brakes would last longer. The as tested price didn't help the S60 either, but at least it wasn't optioned ridiculously from the dealer/manufacturer like BMW does. Notice how only 3 points separate 3rd place from 5th place. Sure it might lose a point or two on the 1/4 mile acceleration, but I'm sure it'll gain some points in the performance department.

The fact that the engine has 300HP and only narrowly beat its competitor tells me three things: The engine is not making it's claimed horsepower; The competition is falsely advertising it's power numbers (which we know is true for BMW 328i); and that the 6 speed automatic transmission used in the Volvo simply sucks.

Ok my flame suit is on. This is a Volvo forum after all. Discuss?

Edit: Updated. See last post.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
They should have used a T5 with Dynamic Chassis/Multimedia/Premium/Climate Pkgs. for this test. In no way does the Infiniti G25 has Porsche-like handling, yea maybe if they had a G37S or xS model; my buddy had a G25 as loaner while his G37xS was in for service and the G25 was pretty much a joke in my opinion and definitely should be a cheaper car. But hey it's Car and Driver and they love themselves BMW/Audi/Infiniti models, haha!

Its ok I'll keep enjoying my S60 T6 R-Design :D

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Well, they did like the dash lighting :) And basically, everything else: "There isn't a single part of the Volvo's design
that draws negative attention; every part works in harmony."

I also like the line about the BMW tying the Audi as "quickest non-volvo".

Note the Audi won the handling contest with summer tires. I wonder what tires the Volvo had? I've
seen higher skid pad numbers in other reviews for the Volvo (with traction control disabled). Mine has
summer tires and my driving skills are far from being able to exploit the full limits of the Volvo (or
any of those cars). And, yeah, I'll admit that I'm the "weak link"; seems modern car capabilities are way
out ahead of almost everyone that owns one.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, they did like the dash lighting :) And basically, everything else: "There isn't a single part of the Volvo's design
that draws negative attention; every part works in harmony."

I also like the line about the BMW tying the Audi as "quickest non-volvo".

Note the Audi won the handling contest with summer tires. I wonder what tires the Volvo had? I've
seen higher skid pad numbers in other reviews for the Volvo (with traction control disabled). Mine has
summer tires and my driving skills are far from being able to exploit the full limits of the Volvo (or
any of those cars). And, yeah, I'll admit that I'm the "weak link"; seems modern car capabilities are way
out ahead of almost everyone that owns one.
The Volvo had Continental ContiProContact all-seasons. Says so in the tables ;)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
"Love" the 2nd page where the title says it all how seriously this should be taken; naming BMW's competition "clowns"? Nice! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
"Love" the 2nd page where the title says it all how seriously this should be taken; naming BMW's competition "clowns"? Nice! :rolleys:
And it's stupid comments and favoritism like this from Car and Driver for not renewing my subscription for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Car and Driver is terrible. I'm glad to see other people pick up on things like their BMW favoritism, as that means it's not just my imagination.

Their long term test and first drives RAVES about how great the car is. Their comparison writers, however, seem to always rail on Volvo cars.

That said, at least they're showing *some* respect for the new S60 in this comparison. Usually it's "this car sucks" and then you read the first drive written by someone else and you get "this is a great car."

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Car and Driver is terrible. I'm glad to see other people pick up on things like their BMW favoritism, as that means it's not just my imagination.

Their long term test and first drives RAVES about how great the car is. Their comparison writers, however, seem to always rail on Volvo cars.

That said, at least they're showing *some* respect for the new S60 in this comparison. Usually it's "this car sucks" and then you read the first drive written by someone else and you get "this is a great car."
LOL. This was exactly the substance of my comment to them. I won't take the easy route and accuse them of becoming an unofficial mouthpiece for ze Germans (even though I think it's true). It's the inconsistency that bothers me. How can the S60 shine so much in the long term test reviews, where reviewers go so far as to say things like "As a result, the S60 is easy to drive quickly, as it securely bends toward apexes with an agility that belies its nose-heavy  weight distribution," yet suddenly it becomes "sloppy" in the comparo test? Not to mention, C+D reported the skidpad grip as .90 in its first drive of the 2011 S60 T6, tying the winner Mercedes here.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Absolutely stupid review. Should have compared the T5.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Interesting thread. What is interesting is the different takes in Car and Drive vs Motor Trend. I have had the opportunity to drive almost all the cars in both tests. I have a 2012 S60 t5. My wife likes my car with one caveat: the trunk is too small. She is in the market for a new car. So, we drove the BMW new 3 series, the Mercedes C250, the Volvo S80, the Infinity G37and I drove the Buick Regal (non turbo version), and both of us drove the Audi A4 and the Acura TSX as well. Our criteria for her car is probably more like what most people shopping for a car would use: What can we get for the money we will spend that will fit our needs. ...and we certainly recognize that everyone's needs are different. (We used $42,000 USD as our barometer) The Infinity was quickly ruled out by my wife for an important reason: She didn't like it! (The Dealer had a bad attitude as well) I drove the Buick, and I didn't like it. Just not comfortable or sporty, regardless of the low power level. The Audi has a CVT transmission, unless you opt for the Quatro, which we don't see a real need for here in Florida. The Audi would hesitate if you hit the gas quickly....like getting across an intersection.....which I have experienced on several Audi CVT cars that I have either been in or driven. Not a good thing.....and never reported on in any car magazine that I can recall????? I have had turbo cars for years, and recognize this as NOT turbo lag. Have not driven the Lexus so can't comment on it. I rent a lot of cars, many of which are Toyota products, and quite frankly they are very bland. The Acura TSX was interesting and drove better than it's big brother the TL, in our opinion. The car is small however (another small trunk, with a high liftover for trunk access) Another annoying Dealer experience.....much too aggressive. So in our final analysis, we were down to the BMW, the Mercedes, and the Volvo S80. The BMW: I really liked it, and understand why the car magazine gives it such high marks.....however, the interior appears to be designed by a committee that did not get along.....especially the dash, with what looks like an add on screen atop the center stack. Great handling car, far exceeding what my wife will ever need/use. Great gas mileage per the sticker.....36mpg on the highway...but on Premium fuel. The engine is somewhat noisy at idle, not a deal breaker though. The front seats were good, and the back is roomy. The trunk was a good size. Here was the deal breaker though: After driving a couple of different BMW 328i cars, my wife said: Something about the car makes me uncomfortable in driving it. Next. The Mercedes C250. Nice ride, beautiful finish inside and out, Great Dealer experience, but the car is small. The front seat is typical Mercedes flat and uncomfortable. The trunk is small, and the car requires Premium fuel. Finally, she decided on the Volvo S80. She likes my car, except for the trunk. The S80 has a good size trunk....but it was the comfort of the car that sold her. Volvo seats are excellent. She uses the car for business, and has to have the trunk space for her "stuff". Also we plan on taking car trips, and usually bring "everything", again logic for a decent size trunk. The car uses regular gas. The insurance cost (Allstate) for the S80 was less than the BMW or the Mercedes, by a couple of hundred dollars per year. And last, but not least is we have always wanted to visit Scandanavia. Volvo has the best Overseas Delivery plan of the cars I mentioned. (Saab had the best, but that was yesterday). So, I know that I wrote a "book" here, but I think the bottom line is that although I find the car magazine testing results interesting, I still feel it is very important that one makes up there own mind, as their result may differ based on their needs.
We hope to pick up her new S80 mid June in Gothenberg.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Interesting thread. What is interesting is the different takes in Car and Drive vs Motor Trend. I have had the opportunity to drive almost all the cars in both tests. I have a 2012 S60 t5. My wife likes my car with one caveat: the trunk is too small. She is in the market for a new car. So, we drove the BMW new 3 series, the Mercedes C250, the Volvo S80, the Infinity G37and I drove the Buick Regal (non turbo version), and both of us drove the Audi A4 and the Acura TSX as well. Our criteria for her car is probably more like what most people shopping for a car would use: What can we get for the money we will spend that will fit our needs. ...and we certainly recognize that everyone's needs are different. (We used $42,000 USD as our barometer) The Infinity was quickly ruled out by my wife for an important reason: She didn't like it! (The Dealer had a bad attitude as well) I drove the Buick, and I didn't like it. Just not comfortable or sporty, regardless of the low power level. The Audi has a CVT transmission, unless you opt for the Quatro, which we don't see a real need for here in Florida. The Audi would hesitate if you hit the gas quickly....like getting across an intersection.....which I have experienced on several Audi CVT cars that I have either been in or driven. Not a good thing.....and never reported on in any car magazine that I can recall????? I have had turbo cars for years, and recognize this as NOT turbo lag. Have not driven the Lexus so can't comment on it. I rent a lot of cars, many of which are Toyota products, and quite frankly they are very bland. The Acura TSX was interesting and drove better than it's big brother the TL, in our opinion. The car is small however (another small trunk, with a high liftover for trunk access) Another annoying Dealer experience.....much too aggressive. So in our final analysis, we were down to the BMW, the Mercedes, and the Volvo S80. The BMW: I really liked it, and understand why the car magazine gives it such high marks.....however, the interior appears to be designed by a committee that did not get along.....especially the dash, with what looks like an add on screen atop the center stack. Great handling car, far exceeding what my wife will ever need/use. Great gas mileage per the sticker.....36mpg on the highway...but on Premium fuel. The engine is somewhat noisy at idle, not a deal breaker though. The front seats were good, and the back is roomy. The trunk was a good size. Here was the deal breaker though: After driving a couple of different BMW 328i cars, my wife said: Something about the car makes me uncomfortable in driving it. Next. The Mercedes C250. Nice ride, beautiful finish inside and out, Great Dealer experience, but the car is small. The front seat is typical Mercedes flat and uncomfortable. The trunk is small, and the car requires Premium fuel. Finally, she decided on the Volvo S80. She likes my car, except for the trunk. The S80 has a good size trunk....but it was the comfort of the car that sold her. Volvo seats are excellent. She uses the car for business, and has to have the trunk space for her "stuff". Also we plan on taking car trips, and usually bring "everything", again logic for a decent size trunk. The car uses regular gas. The insurance cost (Allstate) for the S80 was less than the BMW or the Mercedes, by a couple of hundred dollars per year. And last, but not least is we have always wanted to visit Scandanavia. Volvo has the best Overseas Delivery plan of the cars I mentioned. (Saab had the best, but that was yesterday). So, I know that I wrote a "book" here, but I think the bottom line is that although I find the car magazine testing results interesting, I still feel it is very important that one makes up there own mind, as their result may differ based on their needs.
We hope to pick up her new S80 mid June in Gothenberg.
Nice write up and agree with everything you said; I'm also going through the same process as you with my fiancee and she has it narrowed down to the S60 T5 (possibly T5AWD when they come out this summer), 2013 C300 4Matic (small and pricey for what you get which only has the fact you can get a bright red color going for it [LOL]!, and a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring (I know it's not a sedan or even a luxury car but we may need it for the cargo space, plus we are actually happy with our Mazda 3 ownerships). She dismissed the 328i for its less than user friendly and uninspired interior design, and didn't like the way it drove (way too stiff - with or without Sport Chassis); the G37x did nothing for her, IS250 AWD was tiny and over priced; Regal CXL/GS models and thought it was really cool looking until she drove it and said "can we just leave now?" So yea that is about all the cars we have cross shopped, with the Mazda CX-5 being the only SUV/CUV we looked at because the XC60 T6 is just a bit out of the price range for the options we want.

What trim and options did you get on your S80?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello PureDrive07. Ordered the S80 with the 3.2L engine. (enough power for my wife!) Platinum package, climate pkg., Biaritz Blue paint with off black interior, Sun/moon roof, Zenon lights and the Fotuna 18" wheels. Got confirmation from Volvo today! Can't wait to go to Sweden! So far, very impressed with the way Volvo is handling this. Have also been impressed with my 2012 S60 t5. This is a lot of car for the money, in my opinion. Never had a Volvo before the S60 t5, always thought of them as "boxy" and too focused on safety, and no fun factor. My opinion has been changed, based on the newest models........Of course, I used to drive Saabs, so what do I know?!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I dont know why you are so furious about this review, they clearly state why the s60 came out last; and that is the non-ability to satisfy the demanding driver as a sports-sedan, which is partly ture. This Volvo's first sports sedan, and its perfectly natural not being up there with the big boys in its initial attempt. They also provide their rationale fot including the T5...

The s60 will be nowhere near as dynamic as the 3 series, since the 3 series is the king since many generations and the pioneer of the sports sedan!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont know why you are so furious about this review, they clearly state why the s60 came out last; and that is the non-ability to satisfy the demanding driver as a sports-sedan, which is partly ture. This Volvo's first sports sedan, and its perfectly natural not being up there with the big boys in its initial attempt. They also provide their rationale fot including the T5...

The s60 will be nowhere near as dynamic as the 3 series, since the 3 series is the king since many generations and the pioneer of the sports sedan!
That's why my flamesuit was on. Still is.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts

This isn't Volvo's first attempt at a sports sedan, they just don't keep consistent with their Short and Long Term testing notes and opinions.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

I wouldn't be mad, except the right hand is not talking to the left here. This magazine raves about the Volvo's chassis feel and steering balance in its long term test of the S60 T6, yet calls it sloppy here. While I'm sure a large subset of the comments they will get on this article will be accusations of BMW fanboy-ism I'm more bothered by the fact that they are blatantly inconsistent.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts