SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a 2006 xc90 with non stock HIDs, I have installed an HID kit from vvm this is my current issue.

Both headlights flicker and one headlight the driver side is brighter then the passenger side.

The hook ups: I have a relay harness, the relay switch is connected to the parking light rather then the headlight plug due to drl on headlights. Hids turn on as they should but flicker.

I have tried sanding the ground points, capacitors, and resistors. Same issue still flicker.

I dont get it if the relay harness is drawing 13v from battery then what is the issue here?

Please help

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Sounds like cheap ballasts and/or bulbs.

Does it also flicker when hooked to the regular headlamp feed? If so, bad ballast. If not, then you have a wiring issue on the parking lights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why did you go to aftermark HIDs? I have factory HID's too but they do not perform as well. So, I was think of changing them out too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I also have an aftermarket kit. My problem is one of the 6000k bulbs is now yellow. The kit seller shipped me a new set of bulbs for free. Another problem is that the driverside doesn't come on sometimes when I start the car. It used to be only after I had a car wash but is now more frequent.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If your wiring is good, I would check the plugs of the bulb to the ballast. I am to assume if you have the aftermarket kit you have the two little plugs? They are notorious for letting in water. Try spraying them with cleaner and hit it up with some dielectric grease.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks. You know, by the time the new XC comes out I should be just about fed up with 'fiddling' with my 2004.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I swapped in a new bulb and it's working so far. I cleaned the contacts and used some dilectric grease and tapped the connectors up tight. We'll see how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts