SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so we all know that the P2 was deliberately engineered with a poor lock-to-lock angle, but I just want to drive it home.

The new-to-me '00 Odyssey in my sig has a 10" longer wheelbase, 16" longer body and is reportedly 5" wider than the V70. Anyway, the Odyssey turning diameter is LESS than 38' and can do U-turns within the curbs on my street. the V70 - I need to find 2 driveways together and pull onto the easement the full width of the car to do a U-turn without hitting the opposite curb or else do a K-turn.

Not a reportable problem, of course. Just a rant.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This large turning circle is in my opinion an outrageous shortcoming of Volvos, unless it is somehow a compromise to obtain higher crashworthiness, which I doubt. I am stunned that Volvo is producing a vehicle with this limitation. It makes getting into and out of parking slots more difficult and makes U-turns on roads dangerous. It is in fact a safety hazard.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The problem is that the P2 wheel wells can't accommodate the wider tires on 17" and 18" wheels without rubbing. I've read that the designers only accounted for 16" wheels. Volvo's bandaid solution is to install thicker steering limiters that prevent rubbing at the cost of a larger turning circle.

What's strange is Volvo's choice of the wider 235/45 tires for 17" wheels when 225/45 is a closer match to the factory 195/65R15 and 205/55R16 tires.

To attain a reasonable turning circle, you'll need smaller wheels with thinner tires (or spacers) and the thinner limiters on the steering rack and control arms.

For reference, P2's with 15" or 16" wheels have a 36' turning circle while the models with 17"/18" wheels are around 40'.

I'm currently in the process of doing this on my V70. I'll start a new thread if I'm successful and share what I did. Otherwise look for me in the nearest parkade as I'm probably trapped.

PS: I'm especially salty about the P2's appalling turning circle after driving a relative's Outlander Sport with a 34.8' turning circle. That thing felt like it was spinning on the spot

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
I have no problems with parking lots, parallel parking, or 3-point turning. Ok, I agree that the turning radius is horrible and U-turns are near impossible and should never be considered with this vehicle, but where I live the streets are so tight that only a bicycle can pull a U-turn. If you want to get turned around you end up having to pull a cab maneuver (A sudden and abrupt 3-point turn in heavy traffic causing traffic in both directing to wait until you perform your 3-5 point turn)...fun. :D

Be glad you don't own a V70R.
Turning circle (between curbs) 35.8-39 ft. (10.9-11.9 m)
V70R 43.3 ft. (13.2 m)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Do you frequent Asian shopping malls? They have the most poorly designed parking lots around here. There is no chance the V70 can navigate any of them.

And yes, something something Asian drivers

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
XC's have a significantly tighter turning radius because of their ride height. They don't even have steering limiters (or wide tires)!
Not perfect but in most situations you don't notice anything different than from a normal car

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem is that the P2 wheel wells can't accommodate the wider tires on 17" and 18" wheels without rubbing. I've read that the designers only accounted for 16" wheels. Volvo's bandaid solution is to install thicker steering limiters that prevent rubbing at the cost of a larger turning circle.

What's strange is Volvo's choice of the wider 235/45 tires for 17" wheels when 225/45 is a closer match to the factory 195/65R15 and 205/55R16 tires.

To attain a reasonable turning circle, you'll need smaller wheels with thinner tires (or spacers) and the thinner limiters on the steering rack and control arms.

For reference, P2's with 15" or 16" wheels have a 36' turning circle while the models with 17"/18" wheels are around 40'.

I'm currently in the process of doing this on my V70. I'll start a new thread if I'm successful and share what I did. Otherwise look for me in the nearest parkade as I'm probably trapped.

PS: I'm especially salty about the P2's appalling turning circle after driving a relative's Outlander Sport with a 34.8' turning circle. That thing felt like it was spinning on the spot

FWIW, I have 16" OE wheels and OE tire size. I still rub the inner fender liners, esp in front of the axle. My stops are a bit worn, but I still can't turn as tight as a freakin minivan!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
FWIW, I have 16" OE wheels and OE tire size. I still rub the inner fender liners, esp in front of the axle. My stops are a bit worn, but I still can't turn as tight as a freakin minivan!
Hmm... Interesting. Did your V70 come with 17" from the factory? Which steering stops are on it?

·
Registered
147 Posts

You're looking at minor differences in tire sizes. It's not the tire size, it's the width of the straight 5 engine which limits the angle that the wheels can steer. Volvo swore the I5 had benefits, but in reality it didn't. It's an inherently unbalanced engine with the power of a 4 cylinder + gas mileage of a 6 cylinder, that takes up a lot of width when mounted transversely. The small turning circle is a result of that

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
power of a 4 cylinder + gas mileage of a 6 cylinder, that takes up a lot of width when mounted transversely.
Bullshyte!

Unbalanced yes.

Fuel economy of a 6, where do you get this from? There's one less cylinder so less friction loss due fewer rotating parts, less rotational mass, and weighs less overall.

Power of a 4 cylinder? The I5 with a powerstroke every 144* will have better power delivery, but number for cylinders vs. power is not a fair comparison. Throw a turbo on a 4 and it will make more power than a NA 6 with better fuel economy. Apples to apples, compare a NA 2.0L I4 vs a NA 2.0L I5 and the I5 will have more power due to 25% increase in engine displacement and the 36* overlap of power strokes.

Yes the I5 is a compromise between a 4 and 6, but the I5 is it's own thing.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I laugh when people complain about turning radius in their V70s/XC70s. Try a V70R... I've given up even the concept of pulling into a single parking space or parallel parking. Even now when I'm in a normal car I'm constantly sure the car won't get into the parking space.

Hey now, the I5 is the greatest engine ever. Smaller than a 6, and it doesn't need balance shafts like a 4. 300hp out of 2.5L isn't bad either. It also has way better sound than a 4 or 6. Unrefined but smooth what could be better? (a twin turbo V10 but that's a whole other argument),

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You're looking at minor differences in tire sizes. It's not the tire size, it's the width of the straight 5 engine which limits the angle that the wheels can steer. Volvo swore the I5 had benefits, but in reality it didn't. It's an inherently unbalanced engine with the power of a 4 cylinder + gas mileage of a 6 cylinder, that takes up a lot of width when mounted transversely. The small turning circle is a result of that
Yes, the width of the engine does limit the steering angle, but the wheels do play a role. It's not like P2's with different engine have different wheel wells too.

As an example, P2's with 15x6.5" ET43 wheels have 14mm more inner clearance than 16", 20mm more than 17" and 26mm more than 18" factory wheels. The thinner deflection limiters and steering stops on models with smaller wheels allow the wheels to turn more, reducing the turning circle. That's why base models in Europe have a 36' turning circle while Rs have 43'

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well I think the turning circle on our V70 is superb and I feel like Ken Block every time I drop it into a tight parking space. But then my "day" car is an XC90...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Tire BRAND and model, steering stops, plus your wheels and their OFFSET make a HUGE difference in whether you will rub and if your turning radius will be OK or not.
I've seen many tires, same size, same diameter have a tread block width difference of up to one inch!!!

I've had many P2s of every type, model and size!
I've had them with 15" wheels and tires and 19" wheels and tires.

Narrower tires=more space.
= smaller to no steering stops! You can actually go to full lock if need be.

·
Registered
82 Posts
To the original poster....

This is one of the main reasons I sold my V70R M66. It was everything I wanted but one of the few shortcoming was the turn radius. Despite aftermarket solutions, I was surprised that Volvo let that be part of the original design. It is a serious safety issue in my book.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
To the original poster....

This is one of the main reasons I sold my V70R M66. It was everything I wanted but one of the few shortcoming was the turn radius. Despite aftermarket solutions, I was surprised that Volvo let that be part of the original design. It is a serious safety issue in my book.
Only 2 flaws the V70R has are turning radius, 6th is too short for fuel economy, and headlights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts