SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

First off, before I explain the situation, I would appreciate the absence of useless crap replies from many as I have read in the other threads with similar topics (I say similar b/c I can't find one that's the same, hence why I am posting). Thanks.

Current inventory:
1998 s70 glt - complete car, runs/drives with new radiator, intercooler, hoses, etc
- reason for junk - body is trash and trans is on its way out
1999 c70 t5m totaled - i will only use the 16G from here, the rest is for another project

I have access to a super clean 1998 s70 n/a manual for cheap, so here is my goal: I want to swap the turbo engine into the n/a car only, while keeping the manual trans and adding a 16g to make a.... fresh rebuilt t5m

Here is what I've read so far in other posts:
- obviously a complete donor car is needed (as i have) for i/c piping, radiator, sensors, exhaust, heater core hoses, etc
- t5m ecu - dont think that will be too hard to locate given its a volvo forum
- t5 turbo, injectors, hoses - already have

Following open items:
- fuel rail/line connection - IIRC, 98 t5 has a feed and return, does the n/a have the same?
- n/a harness vs t5 harness - since i am just swapping the engine, do i need to mess with the harness? if so, how different is a 98 n/a manual vs 98 t5m harness? has it been done?

Helpful comments please, if I decide to go for it, I will be sure to include a clean and complete write up, rather than the incomplete ones I have read through.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Not easy to swap a 99 engine into a 98 (if I'm reading you correctly) nothing outside the engine fits!
It's a completely different engine

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Not easy to swap a 99 engine into a 98 (if I'm reading you correctly) nothing outside the engine fits!
It's a completely different engine
You're reading him wrong. He's going to use the 1998 engine from the glt, the only thing he's using from the 1999 is the 16t turbo.

Toast, one thing to check is the downpipe on that glt and the 16t turbo from the 1999...i'm sure someone has the angled/not angled flange stuff memorized but I sure don't. You might end up needing a different downpipe.

As far as the ECU goes, just get one from Lucky at ARD. He's got a stock of '98 ECUs and he'll be able to handle the tune for you as well for that engine with a 16t.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty sure a harness swap is required, shouldn't be too hard, the harness is pretty simple to get out and you can leave it hooked up to the motor which is probably quicker than disconnecting one harness and reconnecting the other.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You need to swap the harness, is not very hard. take a lot of picture, mark the connectors and DO NOT FORGOT the Heat Shield by the firewall (in between the engine and the car and way easy with the engine out) the N/A does not haze'it. 99 turbo have the angled flange (better flow) but you can use the old (straight) one.Since you have to change the exhaust anyway I will use the angled one.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The one issue that arose for a VS member was the fuel lines, since turbo has the fuel pressure regulator in the lines by the PS rack, NA doesn't have that setup at all. If you have a donor car, no reason you can't swap the fuel feed & return lines from front to back.

As said, leave the entire harness connected to the motor, unplug the two connectors at the ECU box, and move the whole thing over.

Similar to this:

The manual trans harness should only have one connector

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys i really appreciate all the help

project will be on halt now as i have a lot of tree work to clean up thanks to the damn hurricane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts