1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read.

2007 S40, 138K miles.

I have a clunk coming from the front of the car, it normally happens while turning either left or right, but i think more noticeable when pulling off from standstill, or changing from 2nd to 3rd when accelerating up an incline.

I don't experience any clunk when going over bumps.

I thought it was coming from the drivers side, but passengers can also "feel" it on their side under their feet, same as my side.

I tightened up the strut mounts already, one side was a little loose, and still doesn't fully tighten but it is better than it was, so maybe that's the issue, but I'm not convinced its that.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
At 138K it can be many things. These cars need a full suspension refresh from time to time. There are many threads on all these issues. Check these common items first.

Feeling it under your feet unusually leads to lower control arms. Check the large rear bushing for cracks & tears.
Motor mounts. Right side & lower torque mount are the usual suspects.
Sway bar end links.
Struts, top mounts & bearings.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Pczeilon is 100% dead on (as usual). Another thing to check that helped me once was the torque on the front bolts of the LCAs. Mine had loosened half a turn while working on my front struts and caused a clunk similar to what you're describing. If your LCA rubber is worn go for the "sport" LCAs for replacement. They're cheaper and use a slightly stiffer rubber. Don't forget to order new ball joint nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for your replys. Think it's going to have to go into the garage, think it's beyond my skill level.

The other thing I forgot to mention is the vibration, particularly noticable when cruising 60/70 mph, it has got generally a little worse.

Since tightening the top mount, the clunk happens less often, but the vibration is worse.

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all,

Car has been into the garage, they looked over all the suspension items and said it all looked fine, and couldn’t pin point anything that would cause the knocking.

The vibration they said was down to the passenger front tyre being very worn, and a newish one on the other side.

I had the tyre replaced and the tracking/balancing done – it does give less vibration on the motorway for sure, but something feels still not quite right.

It feels more now like the knocking is more prominent when changing gears, mainly through 1,2,3, but only at certain speeds, again hard to pinpoint.

The knock when turning I don’t hear so much, I can’t really reproduce it, so wonder whether the clue to the problem is the gear changing?

Thanks all.
Ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hah. I've had clunks in the front for nearly 2 years now. Garages cant find anything and MOT inspectors cant find a thing even when I tell them that there must be something gone bad...
Its just so annoying when no one can find the fault.. I've changed lots of parts without getting it fixed.
Im going to replace suspension parts; struts and strut bearings in few months and see if it helps. If it doesnt, then its time for new engine mounts. After that there isnt much parts to change anymore. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've had a terrible clunk for months.. I've had basically everything suspension wise replaced... Stopped by mechanics yesterday to change my coolant reservoir tank, so we decided to check the right motor mount, it was completely shot!

There goes my clunk, all fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
@mir0k 2 years you must be going insane!

@ngysland how would you describe your former clunk?
Obnoxious 😂
Let's see. It was the worst when I was running it cold and I accelerated at lower speeds. That part would last.. Like 15min, then the engine was hot and the rubber was moldable.
Also- taking corners at high speeds (entrance and exit ramps) it would clunk over the lumps in the road. It would also clunk going an average speeds over small bumps in the road.

I could pretty easily tell it was coming from somewhere by my front passenger side of the engine bay..

Does that help?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm I would say mine is worse when warm and I don't really notice it when cold!! :) Never noticed it over bumps but yeah definetly corners at speed... Did you get any vibrations when cruising on the motorway?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hmm.. Vibrations.. I don't really think so, I did get Vibrations when accelerating at slow speeds.

Honestly, the motormount is super easy to check. You move the coolant reservoir tank and it's directly below that.. 4 bolts and it's off. I'm sure there's a decent video on how to.
I'd recommend just checking yours- could solve your issue quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
2 months ago my car was at the carage for timing belt and waterpump swap.. I asked them to check the motor mount and they said it was fine. Maybe I should still check it myself too..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts