SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Chassis Settings Service Required"

Last week I got this message for the first time and in less than a week is now appearing almost every time I drive the car.

I read through the threads that came up via search (found several threads) but found limited info in those.

I jacked up the four corners of the car yesterday and inspected the struts/shocks and wiring including the two accelerometers at the front struts and all looked fine. I did have some damaged wiring on the front driver strut earlier this year but the repair still looks ok from the outside (protective covering/tape still in place) so I'm assuming that's not the issue for now.

I couldn't see any accelerometers at the rear shocks but the wiring from the shock disappears up under the body so not sure where they are exactly.

Checked in the trunk next to the NAV unit but didn't see anything there as noted in one previous thread/post. Anyone know where the connections are under the hood? I looked at all connectors that were visible and appeared to be coming up from under the car into the engine bay and didn't see anything obviously loose/disconnected.

Anyone else deal with this themselves or at least completed some investigation on their own before taking it to the dealer? Where are the other sensors located? Anything else I can check myself?

The front struts were replaced under warranty 18 months ago at about 72K miles and the rear shocks were replaced in early June 2012 and have worked fine since then. The car has 92K miles on it now (2006 SR GT).

Other issue I have is that the car has been feeling progressively "sluggish" with less "get up and go" but I put it down to the 95-100 degree weather/high humidity in July but even on some cooler evenings the past couple days it's the same. I think my gas mileage has worsened as well so I have to start tracking via the info centre for a few days. I'm sure it's not related but want to deal with the chassis settings message first.

:confused:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Unfortunately with the "Chassis Settings Service Required" message you're only option is to get the car scanned by someone with a Vida/Dice unit. Whether that's a dealer, independent shop or a member with a vida/dice combo doesn't really matter. Unless you see obvious wire damage or a accelerometer hanging from your car, you're really shooting in the dark. You can try replacing stuff but you'll end up spending as much as you would getting your car scanned at a dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Richard, I think BumpinVolvo is right. Only a reading from DiCE/VIDA unit will give you a definitive answer to your problem. You can do a visual check as best as you can, but it could be a connection fault somewhere that's causing the problem. One thing to do is check if the accelerometers are level, I know StealthyS60R posted a possible fix for that. But again, unless you're lucky I doubt that to be your issue.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^Thanks! Appreciate the info from you guys. Do you know of links to track down the various sensors on the car other than the 2 on the front struts? Wanted to try and do a visual check before taking the car in.

BTW, love the new look (DevolvR). How long does that last?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Maybe the 4c fuse is having bad contact with the panel. Check the panel in the dash on the drivers side. Maybe even pull it, reset the ecu and put it back in.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Richard,

I've found an old document in one of the searches, it talks about the locations of all the devices linked to the 4C chassis system. This may be of used to you.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/2004r/R5-Four-C.pdf

P.S. Thanks Richard, supposedly lasts up to 5-6 years.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Richard,

I've found an old document in one of the searches, it talks about the locations of all the devices linked to the 4C chassis system. This may be of used to you.

Thank you!!!! I'm getting the active chassis service required light as well. Plugged it into vida and it's coming up as the front driver side. Now I'm going to check all the connections for the accelerometer sensors. Hopefully I wont have to go and replace one.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Richard,

P.S. Thanks Richard, supposedly lasts up to 5-6 years.
Thanks for the link/doc!

Wrap lasts that long eh? Good thing because that must be a ton of work with all that detailed work you did.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Took the car into an indy shop who's worked on my R (and previous S60) in the past - he was able to read the error messages and said it related to left front of the car. This is where he previously repaired damaged wiring/protective casing from the left strut (about 2.5 months ago) and also installed new rear shocks (C1501).

Previous thread:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...oor-ride-quality-handling-quot-where-to-start

He redid the repair cleared all codes and test drove it and all was fine in all modes. Picked the car up Wednesday evening and drove home then back to work the next day 48 mile round trip) and all was fine until I was pulling into the underground garage at work when the code appeared again. Did not appear on the drive home last night or to work this morning until I entered the parking garage when it came on again.

Could be coincidental, or my R does not like the parking garage, or the tight spiral route (like a spiral staircase) down to the 3 parking level creates some reaction from the suspension or a related sensor.

His recommendation is to replace the left strut where the wires have been repaired twice (likely my next action but I'll monitor when the error appears for a little longer).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does the light by chance go on when you turn the wheel full lock (most likely to the left)? Mine is currently giving the same error message and it is because the clock spring in the steering column is going bad.

An easy way to check this is to turn and hold the wheel at full lock both left and right a couple times. If you're not moving and it throws a code, you can be sure it's not a 4C sensor but that it's definitely a bad clock spring!

Also, if it's not your clock spring, see one of my previous threads for the location of another sensor that throws the same code sometimes when loose (here).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ Thanks!

It appeared again on my drive home on Friday afternoon and I don't think I had the wheel turned much at the time (unlike when I'm driving into the underground parking at work). It's disappeared today so will monitor for specifically what the car is doing when it comes on again. I will try the full wheel lock tomorrow and see if that triggers the error.

I checked the sensor behind the front bumper as well as what I think was the sensor in the trunk next to the NAV unit and they both looked secure. The sensors on the front struts appear fine as we've looked at that recently but the damaged/repaired wiring on the left front strut is a known issue that could cause voltage/signal fluctuation.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Tried the full lock to the left and right at the underground parking garage at work (smooth floor so not too hard on the power steering) and it did not trigger the error.

It came on during the drive home this evening but I think I was driving in a straight line or just finished turning right out of a parking lot when it turned on. If it is related to turning the wheels it appears to be right turns that triggers the error as it came on again today as I was turning right into the entrance to the garage.

I have had the wiring from the bottom of the driver front strut repaired and heat shrunk (re-covered) twice since May/June of this year which happens to also be where the error message is coming from.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like a faulty clock spring / steering wheel position sensor to me. Similar experiences to mine, only happens in turning left, not necessarily full lock, whether car is moving, in gear or stationary. It's possible it's a bad or faulty accelerometer - maybe buy a new one for the left front strut and see if that cures it.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
These are the codes being generated - relates to left front suspension

SUM-0113 Solenoid, suspension left front. Signal missing
SUM-0115 Solenoid, suspension left front. Current too low

1 - 14 of 14 Posts