SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if this is another axle problem, but when i turn the wheel to the rIght i can hear and feel clicking noise. Im tired of replacing axles!! Ill take off the wheel tomoro and do further inspection. Dont know why its causing the axles to fail so often. The only suspension mod i have is lowering springs.

I cant afford a brand new axle right now and even if i can i probably wont pay $500 knowing itll fail rather quick. But at the same time the ones i have now are used and probably why it failed so soon.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow! $500? What are they gold plated or something? I'm sorry man.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even gold plated isnt worth that much! Lol thats why i went with a used on cuz dealerships here in canada want 5-600 bucks for one side. Tasca is lower but with shipping probably about the same. Im hoping that this isnt the issue tho as im sick of replacing them. It only makes the sound when turning the wheel to the right while accelerating. If its bad wouldnt it cause vibrations? I cant feel any.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Man it seems like the only decent axle you can get for these cars are dealer axles. I have the exact same car as you and put a set of EMPI's in earlier this summer. I swear it was within 3K miles when they started popping and creaking. Do you know what brand the used ones you put in were?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?178198-Buying-another-set-of-axles

Remember when I said you need to identify why the new axles failed so soon before replacing them? Did you ever get an alignment and front end inspection?

This is not a common problem on S60s, there's tuned '01 T5s that have OEM original axles at almost 200,000 miles so you really need decide if you want to identify the cause of premature failure and fix it or just keep dumping axles into it. I don't see why you wouldn't want to have a competent mechanic look at it, if you can fix take it to someone who can.

That's if they are really failing? What are your symptoms exactly? What makes you think you need axles if it drives fine and makes no noises or vibrations? Are you familiar with axle ping?

Lots if questions here, maybe we can get to the bottom of it??

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man it seems like the only decent axle you can get for these cars are dealer axles. I have the exact same car as you and put a set of EMPI's in earlier this summer. I swear it was within 3K miles when they started popping and creaking. Do you know what brand the used ones you put in were?
These are used OEM.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?178198-Buying-another-set-of-axles

Remember when I said you need to identify why the new axles failed so soon before replacing them? Did you ever get an alignment and front end inspection?

This is not a common problem on S60s, there's tuned '01 T5s that have OEM original axles at almost 200,000 miles so you really need decide if you want to identify the cause of premature failure and fix it or just keep dumping axles into it. I don't see why you wouldn't want to have a competent mechanic look at it, if you can fix take it to someone who can.

That's if they are really failing? What are your symptoms exactly? What makes you think you need axles if it drives fine and makes no noises or vibrations? Are you familiar with axle ping?

Lots if questions here, maybe we can get to the bottom of it??
Hi NJ! Yes i had an alignment done after u told me to do so. Also i got my timing belt last week by a mechanic that works at the volvo dealer and test drove the car and everything. No problems there. Now 2 days ago i did a full lock to the right and then i hear this popping/clicking noise and can feel it in the cabin. Opened the windows hoping i could hear from the outside but no luck maybe due to road noise. Yes i know what axle ping is. I have replaced my bolts to the xc90 ones.

The last time i had mentioned i had axle problems, the symptom was shaking/vibrating. I dont feel any of that now.
I just did a quick inspection of the axle without taking the wheel off and the boot seems to be fine, no leaks what so ever.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
So only symptom is "popping" or "clicking" under full lock turning? Doesn't happen at less than full lock? Now here is a rumor that I have believed without fact checking, I was once told to avoid full lock turns. I don't know if there is any truth to this, I don't know if you can damage anything but I generally avoid full lock, not to mention we tend to rub at full lock, not with spacers though...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have only noticed it on full lock. Ill try not to do a full lock and see if it happens. But never had issues like this before tho. When i lowered the car i was rubbing on full lock but have since put spacers on and rubbing was gone. I guess ill have to take the wheel off and further inspect the passenger side. Im really hoping this isnt the axle.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so not only on full lock but even halfway turned to the right it happens. More noticeable when tryn to parallel park. Also, seems like once the shocks compresses it happens but doesnt make sense cuz when cruising i cant hear a thing even going on bumps. Could a bad hub also cause this kind of symptom?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Sounds like it's Endlinks. Now that's a very common problem. I would suggest getting the Meyle endlinks, great bang for your buck and as good as those IPD HDs.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?157124-Meyle-HD-Endlinks

The other common issue is the steering bump limiters, they may have worn out, and causing you to rub. Now I don't think that causes the clicking noise however.

The last thing this could be is axle ping and sounds like this might be also a cause. I'll have to hear it in person to know exactly what you're experiencing. This is very common on the S60. Fix are the XC90 axle bolts.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Alfred! I wont be surprised if one of my suspension components are shot. Roads here in toronto are not the greatest as u may know! Lol also having such stiff springs like H&R doesnt help either. Anyway, i jacked up the car just now and could not figure out what it is. My wheel doesnt have any movement to indicate bad bearing/hub. Axle seem to be fine. I find it hard to believe im rubbing tho. I have 5mm spacers up front with stock 16" wheels. Without the spacers i noticed rubbing but not with them on. Also, i have the xc90 bolts with rubber cones installed. How can i find out if the endlinks are shot? Sorry not a lot of experience here.lol
Help is much appreciated.:)

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I would rule out wheel bearing for sure. Normally when bearings give out you'll hear a roaring hum noise when rolling.

The more I analyze this from your descriptions, it sounds more like endlinks. Endlinks are connected to your strut and to the sway bars. As soon as you rotate your steering, the rotation of the strut twists the endlinks in a way that there would be pressure applied to the ball joints. If indeed they are gone and those rubber boots have torn away, the metal between the balljoint and the components(sway or strut depending on which ones have failed, or both) will clang between them. Driving with broken endlinks around the city doesn't feel like there is much of a problem so this might have been an ongoing issue.

To test If your endlinks are gone, jack up the car and pull a wheel off the front. Grab the Endlink, (its about 10mm thick metal pole about a foot long and runs parallel to the strut. Try to pull on them real hard, if there I play on those ballpoints, they are shot. They should not be moving at all.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Btw PM me your whereabouts, are you in Markham or Richmond hill? I mean, I could swing by and take a look a it of you don't mind.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Btw PM me your whereabouts, are you in Markham or Richmond hill? I mean, I could swing by and take a look a it of you don't mind.
Sent u a pm.:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so i took the wheel out and started shaking the endlink but no movement there. Hmm am i missing something? The bushings seems fine including the endlink.:confused:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bringing this up again.. not sure if its the axle though but im convinced it is. so anyways when turning to the left at almost full lock, specially over bumps, I get clunking/popping from the driver side. so I carried on to drive the car and after a few feet when I turned the wheel a bit to the right, I heard this loud pop as if something popped back in its place. I wonder if the axle bearing just need to be re-greased or time to replace?? or is this something else?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Bringing this up again.. not sure if its the axle though but im convinced it is. so anyways when turning to the left at almost full lock, specially over bumps, I get clunking/popping from the driver side. so I carried on to drive the car and after a few feet when I turned the wheel a bit to the right, I heard this loud pop as if something popped back in its place. I wonder if the axle bearing just need to be re-greased or time to replace?? or is this something else?
other possible ones:
strut bearing mount (thing the spring seat sits against at top), sway bar bushings (the ones on the bar, not the endlinks)

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Definitely lube the steering stop (little plastic block on the control arm) and see if it helps. Those get sticky and can make noise.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts