SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly thinking is it worth doing it. My regular Indy says OEM R&R + labor $2300 ish. I asked him about a used one off E bay. $800 vs $1600. He wasn't a fan of the used.

My boy has been taking his Volvo to a different Indy (not Volvo specific). He wants to take it out & send out to rebuild it. I guess the shop rebuilds quite a few. He said 6-8 last week. Ironically the rebuild shop is a couple hundred yards from my regular mechanic. He hasn't said anything about rebuild

The rebuild shop says sometimes the CV (?) joint to the Angle gear goes bad too. So may have to do those too.

My 05 XC 90 2.5 has 275 k miles on it. I love my Volvo. But $2300 sounds like too much to put into it. And then I might be into the CV (?) as well. I'm driving FWD for about a year. I'd love to be able to take it up in the snow. I trust it. It's never let me down. 05 with that mileage probably worth about $5k. (Edmunds)

I'll probably go into that rebuild shop and talk about it some with them. If just a straight rebuild then I'll probably have my boys mechanic do it. In out for probably $1400 ish. But adding on the additional?.....

Any advice?

·
Registered
696 Posts
When you say you've been driving around FWD for a year, do you mean the prop shaft is out of the car? If so, you should be able to determine if the CV joint is bad. I assume the one they're referring to is the front CV joint on the prop shaft. Does the joint appear in good condition and move smoothly, same as the rear one? I do not believe there is a CV joint as part of the angle gear itself, but maybe I'm wrong about that?

If you're not going to hit the snow very often, would it maybe make more sense just to invest in some decent snow tires and/or nice cables/chains? Save your money toward your next car. Unless you're really going off the beaten path, or going with such frequency that chains don't make sense, then I think FWD will get you where you need to go. Just think, Volvo made exclusively 2WD cars for decades in Sweden of all places!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re: FWD

nothing has been taken out. I just know that the rear wheels are "along for the ride". I'll spin the fronts on rain slick starts from a dead stop. My snow stuff is mountain passes and going to our vacation home

I wasn't clear on what my boys mechanic was talking about re: CV joints at the angle gear. I think he was talking about the connection from the angle gear to the axles. Whatever that is called. I'll drop by the rebuilder and see if they can chat

Looking at values it looks as if I was a bit high on my valuation. $2500-3500 retail w/that mileage. $1000 trade in. At that point I think you are right. Just drive it. My wife will kill me though. When I bought the XC 90 I said many times...I'm never chaining up again. Loudly...and often. LOL

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
With that many miles it's hard to spend that much on a repair that isn't 100% necessary. And about the value, I see these in my area for 4500 with 120-160k on them. But it depends on the area. There's a lot of volvos here so there's better prices used. I've been waiting for an awd manual sedan to pop up with decent miles at a good price, so if this happened to me I would just keep driving it

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
I wasn't clear on what my boys mechanic was talking about re: CV joints at the angle gear. I think he was talking about the connection from the angle gear to the axles. Whatever that is called. I'll drop by the rebuilder and see if they can chat

Looking at values it looks as if I was a bit high on my valuation. $2500-3500 retail w/that mileage. $1000 trade in. At that point I think you are right. Just drive it. My wife will kill me though. When I bought the XC 90 I said many times...I'm never chaining up again. Loudly...and often. LOL
I could be wrong, but I think the front axles go directly into the transmission, not into the angle gear. The only thing that connects to the angle gear (besides the transmission itself) is the prop shaft, which is a driveshaft that takes power back to the haldex unit at the rear differential. The prop shaft does have two CV joints--one at the front and one at the rear.

The AWD can fail at one or more of these locations (angle gear, prop shaft, haldex unit), and at your mileage it's probably not worth fixing any of them.

Also, your front axles do have CV joints. You will be able to tell if one or more is bad by clicking sounds or rumbles that change with vehicle speed and steering angle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went into the rebuild shop today. Typical shop environment. Computers stacked on top of each other, papers & boxes everywhere. Grease all over. LOL. I am in the mechanic for our company shop at least 3-4 times a week. So NBD. Really nice guy. He pretty much scared me off of touching it. Maybe he was "too truthful"

I asked about what might be wrong besides the Angle gear. He started listing off why the Angle gear might not be rebuildable. (gears all chewed up) So that means OEM. Then we started in on everything that connects to the angle gear. Driveline/axles. Each and all could be bad. $$$

Asked about driving it. Hurt anything? Could just grenade your transmission. LOL

If the car is only worth <$2500 then F it. I'll tow it from beside the road to the junk yard. Get a few more miles on it. I really want to get to 300k. My V70 wagon got to 288k miles. Then i'll deal with whatever comes my way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts