SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first timer here,

I recently purchased an '02 S60 2.4t AWD and unfortunately discovered at the dealer after the fact that the AWD is not working and the angle gear needs replacement...to the tune of $2500.

Reading plenty of info here I've come to realize that this is quite a common problem. I have read mixed opinions on if it would cause further damage driving it as is in two-wheel drive.

My wife is using it as second vehicle and not doing a whole lot of driving. So far I've read that it's fine as is, others say it might eventually "lock up". I've also heard handling would be dramatically affected but since I have nothing to compare it to so I don't miss it.

Anyone know for sure?

...oops, didn't mean to go in R forum. Argh!

Modified by nfs60 at 7:20 PM 3-19-2009

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: Another angle gear question... (nfs60)

You caught your own mistake and it's still and S60 AWD, so as far as locking up with the way the angle gear fails it is not at risk of of binding or seizing with another part that would cause it to lock unless it is not a shredded angle gear and the problem is within the transfer case (doesn't sound like it with your description of the problem). Handling issues will definately be noticable as you now only have a FWD car as opposed to a AWD. Drive it as long as you need to as is, but eventually consider getting it fixed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.