SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'05 V50 T5 M66, '04 XC70, '98 V70 AWD, various junk from other brands
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I recently bought a blue '99 V70 XC and was debating whether or not to save it, as it needed a bunch of little things that would quickly make it not worth it. This is the car that made me decide that I will part out the blue car.
I went back to college (in Michigan, and my parents are in Connecticut) a few days after buying that blue XC. About that time, a decent-looking '98 V70 AWD popped up for sale here on SwedeSpeed that was under a half hour from my parent's place. Being so far away now, I didn't think much of it. A couple days later, the seller posted that he needed the car gone and would take $800 for it. I jumped on the opportunity and asked my dad to help coordinate the sale. The seller (big thanks to @dazetona for being an awesome seller and helping me get the car!) was willing to drive it the 25-ish minutes to my parent's place. That's when the first issue popped up, before it even moved - a massive fuel leak from under the car.
Wood Automotive tire Material property Rectangle Hood

I still wanted the car, so he AAA'd it to my parent's place.
$800 later and I am the proud owner of a surprisingly nice '98 V70 AWD. I mean, just look at this paint and interior (even before a full wash):
Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side marker light Car Grille

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Window

Also noticed these plastic things on the bumper between the grille and headlight wiper. Anyone know what these are for? Haven't seen them before.
Plant Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

First thoughts were how nice the cosmetics are (especially compared to the blue car) and how much I love this color combo.
As for plans for the car, I'll be fixing the fuel leak and all of the little issues, enjoy the car for a bit, and probably sell it to get a manual car at some point. But that's down the road, and the current task is to get this one back into mechanical shape that lives up to the cosmetic niceness of the car.

First step when I go back home next is to replace the rusted-out fuel line that's causing my leak. Anyone know what part/part number this is exactly? Also, is this part on a '98 the same as a '99, so I could just take it out of the blue car? Having trouble figuring out the VIDA diagrams, especially since it doesn't list the B5244T that this car has as an engine option in the drop-down menu.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Auto part Bumper

Overall, I'm super happy to have a nice P80 that makes sense to fix, and while it isn't a manual car, it will be a fun learning experience and project to have fun with that I'm super excited to start working on and driving.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m going guess those were little clips to hold deer Whistles.
Interesting - didn't know they were a thing. Bracket looks similar to this one, so I have a feeling you might be right
Cylinder Auto part Camera accessory Font Composite material

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
16,171 Posts
Very nice emerald!

Yeah, definitely deer whistle holders.

Your car should have the B5254T motor.

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
20,126 Posts
Really, really well done. Emerald p80 is a very nice color and the interior and exterior look phenomenal for 800 bucks! A little bit of a holiday project when home to get started and assess?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Ditto, looks great, how many miles ?

Go to volvopartswebstore and enter your car info. Pull up the fuel line diagram, click on the part you think you need, then click "what this fits" that will tell you if the 99 line will work in a 98.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice emerald!

Yeah, definitely deer whistle holders.

Your car should have the B5254T motor.
Thank you! Gotcha. Google was telling me it was a 2.4, hence the confusion. Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously I’m not with the car right now so I can’t just look at it to confirm
Really, really well done. Emerald p80 is a very nice color and the interior and exterior look phenomenal for 800 bucks! A little bit of a holiday project when home to get started and assess?
Thanks! I agree - I was super excited when my dad sent me the photos. The plan is to fix the fuel line when I go home for Thanksgiving break (and put a valve body in my P2 XC that my dad drives a lot - hopefully I have enough time for all this LOL) and assess. Then Christmas break is when everything else (muffler, suspension, AC, etc) will get fixed. So target is beginning of ‘23 I will hopefully have a mechanically minty car. Then I’ll probably take it to college with me. My daily Kia is reliable and fun enough being a stick, but I miss the Swedish charm of these old wagons.
Ditto, looks great, how many miles ?

Go to volvopartswebstore and enter your car info. Pull up the fuel line diagram, click on the part you think you need, then click "what this fits" that will tell you if the 99 line will work in a 98.
Thanks. It’s got just over 171k on it. Looks so much better than the 146k mile blue one I have. It was clearly very well taken care of.
I’ll take a look at that. Thanks.

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so as far as I can tell the fuel system is different between -98 and 98+ cars, which is kind of what I expected given the engine management changes. That leaves the question of what to order to fix the leak. The diagrams are confusing, and VPW and others are light on description info. Everything in that area just seems to be labeled “Hose. AWD. Fuel line from tank to engine. Large ___mm”. There’s like 7 listings with different sizes, and they all show different diagrams and nothing looks similar to what’s leaking on my car. The closest one I could find was this but there’s only one line there as opposed to the 2 on my car. Can anyone confirm what line(s) I need to get?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still having trouble figuring out what I need. Been looking at the VIDA diagrams and it appears to be the two lines towards the bottom of the diagram that don't have numbers that I need.
Rectangle Product Font Screenshot Parallel

(Diagram is "Fuel lines from tank to engine, 5 cyl AWD -98")
None of the other fuel system diagrams seem to have anything close either. So what should I do?

·
Registered
16,171 Posts
Reactions: albertj and V50_M66

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would probably splice in a piece of the correct size rubber fuel line.
That’s probably what I’ll end up doing. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
That diagram is showing the fuel lines from the filter to the engine. You’ll need to find the diagram for the tank and lines.
You’ll probably have to at least lower the rear subframe to get to those lines. Generic line may not be a bad idea, but I’d be worried about it coming off of the hard line since it’s not bead rolled. I’d scour junkyards for a 98 AWD as well. Unfortunately up north though, you’ll probably be dealing with the same thing as far as rust.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That diagram is showing the fuel lines from the filter to the engine. You’ll need to find the diagram for the tank and lines.
You’ll probably have to at least lower the rear subframe to get to those lines. Generic line may not be a bad idea, but I’d be worried about it coming off of the hard line since it’s not bead rolled. I’d scour junkyards for a 98 AWD as well. Unfortunately up north though, you’ll probably be dealing with the same thing as far as rust.
I wonder if I could get a line bead roller and just use generic line. The chances of finding that line in good shape in a yard is probably pretty low up here. Might not even have to drop the subframe in that case since it’s pretty concentrated to those bends

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
You may be able to do that. Working space will be tight, but you could probably make it happen.

This is the diagram for the tank, but I don't see the lines here either. 1998 Volvo V70 2.5l 5 cylinder Turbo Fuel tank and connecting parts

From looking at the first diagram you posted, I believe it's part number 15 that you would need (9161125). However there are two lines there, and that is probably just one.
You can see the top of the tank and lines in this listing, and you would definitely have to drop the tank (and subframe) to replace the whole line. A generic hose is looking quite appealing right about now...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You may be able to do that. Working space will be tight, but you could probably make it happen.

This is the diagram for the tank, but I don't see the lines here either. 1998 Volvo V70 2.5l 5 cylinder Turbo Fuel tank and connecting parts

From looking at the first diagram you posted, I believe it's part number 15 that you would need (9161125). However there are two lines there, and that is probably just one.
You can see the top of the tank and lines in this listing, and you would definitely have to drop the tank (and subframe) to replace the whole line. A generic hose is looking quite appealing right about now...
15 is the single line forward of the fuel filter - looked at that. It’s also NLA. Sounds like I’ll be looking into a bead roller and putting some generic hose in there

Reactions: bmdubya1198

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Yup, I think that's gonna be your best option at this point.

·
Registered
130 Posts
15 is the single line forward of the fuel filter - looked at that. It’s also NLA. Sounds like I’ll be looking into a bead roller and putting some generic hose in there
In the field you'd just get a length of the same size straight line and bend it to suit.

You will need a flaring tool and a tubing cutter, maybe a hacksaw and a little 'rattail' file to clean burrs out (unless your mini tubing cutter also has a reamer - some do). And... have a look at this:

From a full-line parts store like NAPA (so that means Advance Auto/Carquest/Pep Boys) you can get more or less generic repair fuel line like this, in different lengths. You can trace the line back to a fitting, get a repair piece with the same fitting on the end. Take the old line out and bend the new one to match (a pair of inexpensive tube bending pliers will work, or a set of 'bending springs like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-4-3-8-1-2-and-5-8-in-Tube-bender/1002577884 - the pliers let you make somewhat tighter bends, which does not seem to be the need here.

Once bent to suit, you can install the new line. If it is too long, then after shaping it and before installing it cut it to suit and double-flare the cut end. Get a piece of neoprene fuel hose and a couple stainless worm gear clamps to splice the new line onto what remains of the old (you will cut the rusty section out and flare the end of the remaining old tubing as well). You can use dish soap on a qtip to lube the end of the rubber hose so it will slip over the flare, if that is a problem. Cinch the hose tightly with the worm gear clamps. IT would be better to actually splice the line on using brass compression fittings, TBH.

To reduce the already kinda small risk of road debris damaging your fuel hose under the car, in the under-car areas you'd prefer to use steel tubing and brass compression fittings. Bear in mind that for fuel the compression fittings need to be mad tight.

If you have questions just post.

Albertj

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Thanks for posting that, I didn't even think of a repair section of hard line. Same idea as a brake line... duh! I would do this over a rubber fuel line.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts