SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears, and is my opinion, that my 2012 volvo is coming down with the dreaded oil consumption. One quart in 3000. I know, there are a lot worse and opinions vary, that's not my question.
It appears from official volvo techs on here,tech in particular, that volvos driven around town only with minimal highway are more prone to develop this problem. .....so....
Would taking this car on an extensive trip possible reverse this condition? ... I don't believe in engine flushes, but would this be an exception?
Brief history, pcv replaced last fall, correct oil changed religiously and around 5,000 miles per change, 58,000 miles . I know volvo will probably fight me on this down the road as I have done my own maintenance after warranty ran out, was purchased used from volvo, but i'm not a repeat customer......the car is one nice vehicle. I'm even considering, in the future, of just buying an engine from volvo and having it installed if they do not extend goodwill to me.......tech?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hmm... 3000 miles per quart sounds like it may be better than what happens if you have stuck rings. I'd look real hard for oil leaks or issues with the breather system first. A compression check may be enlightening, but that is not guaranteed.

If you've eliminated the other possibilities and Volvo is not coming to the rescue and you think it is the ring-sticking problem, you might try some desperate things. When I was in high school, my dad bought me a car with a "frozen" engine. Could not get that engine to turn, even with a breaker bar on the damper bolt. He got a gallon of WD-40, pulled the spark plugs, and put about a cup in each cylinder. We waited a week, I think, and voila! it cranked. It then proceeded to serve me well all though college.

More recently, a co-worker bought an old pickup truck with what he thought were stuck rings. He did the same thing, although with Sea Foam. He claims it did the trick, but were talking about a neglected 1971 F-150 in this case, so it may not be the same for you.

Good luck.

I am hesitant to recommend rude-and-crude methods such as these, but sometimes, you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
The rings I've done have been pretty gummed up. Took a while to get everything cleaned out of the grooves to install new rings. Simply driving isn't going to fix that.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Tech, have you ever seen engines with stuck rings getting as much as 3000 miles per quart, or is it always/usually much worse than that?

That would be a good clue for the OP.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm... 3000 miles per quart sounds like it may be better than what happens if you have stuck rings. I'd look real hard for oil leaks or issues with the breather system first. A compression check may be enlightening, but that is not guaranteed.

If you've eliminated the other possibilities and Volvo is not coming to the rescue and you think it is the ring-sticking problem, you might try some desperate things. When I was in high school, my dad bought me a car with a "frozen" engine. Could not get that engine to turn, even with a breaker bar on the damper bolt. He got a gallon of WD-40, pulled the spark plugs, and put about a cup in each cylinder. We waited a week, I think, and voila! it cranked. It then proceeded to serve me well all though college.

More recently, a co-worker bought an old pickup truck with what he thought were stuck rings. He did the same thing, although with Sea Foam. He claims it did the trick, but were talking about a neglected 1971 F-150 in this case, so it may not be the same for you.

Good luck.

I am hesitant to recommend rude-and-crude methods such as these, but sometimes, you have nothing to lose.
nope, no leaks, pcv replaced.....i haven't corrsponded with volvo as this isn't bad enough ( i've gathered from this site) for volvo to consider. Carbon coking buildup on the ring lands , i wouldn't think could be removed by driving....but...thought i'd ask.....maybe replace the rings now as a preemptive strike, before the cylinders get scored.........just thinking out loud....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts