SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is about maintenance costs. I have a 2006 V70R, with 176K miles on it. While going over last years checkbook to prepare for taxes, I noted a number of checks to my Volvo shop. I (foolishly) decided to total the costs for 2018, and it was $3900. This did include a used replacement driver's door, due to rust, but that wasn't much. (By the way, the rust is another story, concerning my dealer, that I may post in a separate thread.)
So, I looked back and saw these totals: 2017 $3400
2016 $2300
2015 $2200
2014 $1000
I love the car, and every time I drive it I am reminded of that. But I did start wondering what is "normal", and where this ascending graph is headed.
Any comments?
Thanks

·
Registered
15,455 Posts
One of the forum members estimated $2k per year in consumables so if your numbers include tires then you are a bit above that number. These cars are pretty expensive to keep on the road if you are taking it to a shop. For example, the last thing that broke on my R before I sold it last year was the PEM module while my son was at school 300 miles from home so was at the mercy of a local indie shop. The total for that work was $900 or $1,000, something that I probably would have done myself for a fraction of that number.

What are the major items that have contributed to these numbers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wayne,
I will check the bills for details. As to working on the Volvo, too big and too modern for my capabilities. I do have a 1974 Lotus Europa that I do all the work on.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You're doing the right thing to keep a spreadsheet of expenses, and/or a file folder of receipts. Nobody but you can decide when a point of diminishing returns arrives.

In my spreadsheet, I also track the resale value year by year, and calculate depreciation into cost of ownership. Cost = expenses + depreciation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments about a spreadsheet. I must admit, that I was avoiding totaling the Volvo expenses for fear of what they would tell me.

I took the car in yesterday morning to my Volvo mechanic. The Reduced Engine Performance message and warning light were still on, but the car drove and revved normally. They replaced the throttle valve. Drove home OK. I forgot to mention that I have an intermittent ABS/Anti Skid Service Required warning light every few weeks for one drive. Gone the next time I get in the car. That light came on while driving home, but Engine message did not, and car ran fine. Last night I went out to go to a meeting, and the car would not start. All electrical/lights were fine, but not a sound from the starter. Tried several times. Played with the clutch pedal in case it was safety switch, no change. Went out first thing this AM, started right up, no warning lights. My wife reminded me that exactly the same thing happened a month or two ago.
Any ideas beside an exorcism?
We were planning to replace my wife's Prius with a RAV4 Hybrid, once the 2019's are out (she wants to keep her halo). May have to modify that plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.