SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched all the threads seeing what I could find, but not finding anything for sure. It is a 05 s40 and the vibration is only happening under acceleration and once I let off the gas it stops. I'm thinking of taking it to an Indy shop but afraid of them fixing a problem that really isn't the problem. I'm sure there is somebody that has been in this situation and could them me what possibly could be the solution

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Check both things mentioned above.

Does it only happen at certain speeds? Could also be wheel balancing or control arm bushings.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
What mileage? Have you looked at your CV boots? Turbo or not? AWD? Factory axles?

This often turns out to be worn out axles (inner CV). However, the diagnosis is made by the process of elimination. Make sure all 3 of your motor mounts are in good condition. If they are original & you have high mileage they are not. Same with lower control arm bushings. Only then should you proceed to suspecting the axles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What mileage? Have you looked at your CV boots? Turbo or not? AWD? Factory axles?

This often turns out to be worn out axles (inner CV). However, the diagnosis is made by the process of elimination. Make sure all 3 of your motor mounts are in good condition. If they are original & you have high mileage they are not. Same with lower control arm bushings. Only then should you proceed to suspecting the axles.
It has 138k, fwd. if it is one of these issues, is it a bad idea to drive for awhile without getting the issue resolved

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Fine to drive. You shouldn't break anything that's not already hurt.

Start your search here. Two bolts, a jack under your engine & you can inspect thoroughly. Next look at the small mount under the transmission. By the time you inspect it you might as well change it. Use part # CM5Z-6068A Ford E-Focus. This is reasonably priced (~$50) & a great improvement to the early 05' version you have.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fine to drive. You shouldn't break anything that's not already hurt.

Start your search here. Two bolts, a jack under your engine & you can inspect thoroughly. Next look at the small mount under the transmission. By the time you inspect it you might as well change it. Use part # CM5Z-6068A Ford E-Focus. This is reasonably priced (~$50) & a great improvement to the early 05' version you have.

Let us know what you find.
Thank you for the info.

Oh another question, my skill level is not that high as far as turning wrenches, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate these kinds of repairs

·
Registered
548 Posts
There's threads on here about how to jack up a car with a floorjack and stands safely. Without knowing you its hard to rate this. Perhaps a 4 if never touched a car's bolts before or put one up on stands. Not trying insult you. Don't want to see you get hurt by an otherwise easier task to start learning on. I started on the upper engine passenger side mount zero experience, with a friend, and after doing it we'd give it a 2.

You need to have the front of the car jacked up with floorjack, supported by jackstands, and wheels braked and chocked. Try to shove it off the stands first, make sure it not move. You have to go underneath the car with a bottle jack and piece of thick wood then adjust the height of the motor with very slight pressure on it so you can undo the motor mount bolts. Clockwise on torque wrench till it clicks after you set a torque spec to tighten. You'd want a breaker bar, a torque wrench, and a set of metric sockets.

There's writeups with part numbers, prices, and good pictures to help too. Perhaps a bit long winded, go try it and if you don't like what you find out then stop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have searched and searched all the threads seeing what I could find, but not finding anything for sure. It is a 05 s40 and the vibration is only happening under acceleration and once I let off the gas it stops. I'm thinking of taking it to an Indy shop but afraid of them fixing a problem that really isn't the problem. I'm sure there is somebody that has been in this situation and could them me what possibly could be the solution
If it is a pulse type vibration that is constant at low and high speeds and sometimes gets worse while turning left or right it is your front wheel bearings. Tough job unless you have a press as the bearing/hub assembly is pressed into place and the old one has to be pressed or knocked out. They will both have to be replaced because it is difficult to determine which side is bad. You may think it is the front left when it is actually the front right.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it is a pulse type vibration that is constant at low and high speeds and sometimes gets worse while turning left or right it is your front wheel bearings. Tough job unless you have a press as the bearing/hub assembly is pressed into place and the old one has to be pressed or knocked out. They will both have to be replaced because it is difficult to determine which side is bad. You may think it is the front left when it is actually the front right.
I recently had a rotational knocking and vibration that would appear during acceleration. After inspecting my driveline, I found my front carrier bearing mount to be cracked and broken, causing my driveline to oscillate as it was rotating. This was corrected by a driveline shop in town, and it fixed the problem. Noise was originating from the front end, almost directly center between the passenger and driver. When I was sitting in the passenger seat, sometimes I would think that it was a inner CV joint on the passenger side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts