SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a couple of weeks of owning the car we have noticed an annoying rattle coming from the rear of the car.

Tonight I rode in the 2nd row to try and determine the source.

I discovered it's coming from the headliner just behind the sunroof near the 2 small speaker grills. If you tap/hit the headliner anywhere in this area you can reproduce the rattle. It sounds "plasticy".

I have no idea what it would be but we are going to have to get it checked out....

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
So after a couple of weeks of owning the car we have noticed an annoying rattle coming from the rear of the car.

Tonight I rode in the 2nd row to try and determine the source.

I discovered it's coming from the headliner just behind the sunroof near the 2 small speaker grills. If you tap/hit the headliner anywhere in this area you can reproduce the rattle. It sounds "plasticy".

I have no idea what it would be but we are going to have to get it checked out....
Is the sunroof shade covered or retracted into the back? If it is retracted then it probably is around the area you poked.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Only rattle I ever had in the back was a second row seatbelt buckle rattling against the plastic on the pillar. If you're certain it is from the headliner sounds like a trip to the dealer is needed. I don't remember any posts about a rattle in the headliner off the top of my head.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shade open or closed, it still rattles. Definitely not the seat belt. Already researched it. Something is loose in the headliner just behind the sunroof.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a rattle in the headliner of a previous car (not a Volvo). It was a nightmare trying to pinpoint the exact location, but once I did i realized it was simply a clip meant to attach the headliner to the roof that had come loose. A well placed smack and it popped back into place. Obviously, I could very easily have failed (or broken it), but figured it was worth a shot before a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also assumed the same. I smacked all over. Couldn't get it to stop.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, had a chance to spend more time with the car today.

The rattle is coming from the rear glass panel of the sunroof and not the headliner as I originally thought.

It appears that the glass panel sits on a rubber gasket and thus is not completely fixed. I'm wondering if it can be adjusted somehow? Still, I'm not sure what's causing the rattle.

We are headed to the dealer Wednesday.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dropped car off today. Said they will keep it until fixed. Have to deal with Volvo directly on any new XC90 issues.

Greeeeattttt....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, Volvo seems to think it is caused by loose clips in the headliner. I'm not convinced, so I'm going to the shop to make them show me what they hear vs. what I hear....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went to the shop. Headliner stripped out, I was still able to recreate the sound. They were dumbfounded. It's the damn sunroof guys! I tried to tell them.... So the car will sit another week or two. Who knows? Probably looking at a new sunroof.

Wife drove the car a whopping 2 weeks, and it's sat at the shop for 1 now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The protocol that our service center is having to follow right now is ridiculous. Although I pointed out to them that the headliner is not the cause of the rattle, they are waiting to explore other scenarios until the new headliner clips come in which is 5-10 days.

What infuriates me is that once the headliner clips are pulled, they are compromised. SO, if the new ones come in and they snap the headliner back in and still hear the rattle (which is going to happen), then we'll be waiting ANOTHER 5-10 days on top of that for more headliner clips.

This is getting ridiculous. 1 week in the shop as of today. 2 weeks of real ownership prior.

XC60 loaner....

·
Registered
559 Posts
The protocol that our service center is having to follow right now is ridiculous. Although I pointed out to them that the headliner is not the cause of the rattle, they are waiting to explore other scenarios until the new headliner clips come in which is 5-10 days.

What infuriates me is that once the headliner clips are pulled, they are compromised. SO, if the new ones come in and they snap the headliner back in and still hear the rattle (which is going to happen), then we'll be waiting ANOTHER 5-10 days on top of that for more headliner clips.

This is getting ridiculous. 1 week in the shop as of today. 2 weeks of real ownership prior.

XC60 loaner....
This is nuts.

What I don't get is that for a non-mechanical / non-safety related issue such as this one, if they're waiting for parts, why can't they just give you your car back in the meanwhile and then you come back in when the parts arrive?

Wouldn't that be easier for everyone?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you replicate the rattle on video?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If I had the car in possession, sure. But right now the headliner is partially removed from the car and they have no way to put it back in place.....

·
Registered
283 Posts
That really sucks mate, I won't let them take my car apart before being sure that they are 100% sure how to fix it. In my case though I'm quite sure that it is not coming from the sunroof but somewhere from the rear. It could be the rear door but not yet sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Instead of leaving the car with them, I wonder if better practice is to take a video (with audio). Now that we all have fairly good videocameras in our pockets, we no longer have to try to replicate the noise with our mouths.

Not saying this would have pinpointed the problem, but it's another tool in our arsenal.

Probably would have needed to have someone else drive the car while you sit in the back and move the phone/videocam around while listening for the noise.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was confirmed our headliner clips would be in next Friday, therefore the car will have been at the shop a minimum of 2-1/2 weeks for a rattle. Lovely.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts