SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 1:

Here are a few pictures of my Clean 2002 2.4T AWD that was purchased from the Santa Fe Volvo dealer. It had ~32,000 miles when purchased in January 2012. My wife had been driving the car until about September when we bought her a new Expedition. Then the S60 became mine to play with. :)

Several "Stage 0" mods/repairs were done including (will add pictures tonight):

Timing Belt Change w/new water pump (Based on 10 Years)

Boost Hose replacement
New Turbo Control Valve,

New IPD HD Compressor Bypass Valve,

Oil Change (Castrol Edge 5w-30)
New Air Filter

B4 Servo Cover Update to hopefully make the Transmission last longer

Transmission Flush

Spark Plugs

Silicone Charge Pipe Connectors

IPD Boost Gauge and Pod

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got really lucky and the 16T came apart after 4 hours of sitting with PB in the joint and 3 small taps of the hammer. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries rebuild kit is on the way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice we have the same car.. mine is in silver I wish it was white though. I really hate not having fog lights it bothered me to see the covers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Started to take a closer look at the turbo now that its apart. It appears that the exhaust turbine is damaged. I was exceedingly careful to not touch it when I took it apart and I believe I was successful in not hitting the exhaust housing on the turbine. It appears something damaged it though. Not sure what i can do now...

There are about 5 blades that are bent but the one pictured is the worst.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Nice pic, i will recommend youmto use volvo oem plugs, nothing else

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the license plate does look the same. Well NM is always about the latest and greatest lol...

Why should I only use OEM plugs? I was under the impression that Volvo had NGK or Bosch make their plugs anyways?

My CNT downpipe came in today. It seems pretty legit. Will certainly flow much better than stock. Decided not to go catless. Most people report you still need the 02 spacer with this cat anyways. Oh well, for slightly more $ than the OBX I thought I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Well volvo makes a really good copper plugs thats why most of the people with tune, etc use them. Most of the people with no cat need the o2 spacer to avoid cel

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
a lot of folks use Bosch copper or OEM Volvo. I would avoid fancy platinum v plugs and such.

I'm gonna send that new 16T out tomorrow for you. I got it from volvos60t5x and its a beautiful little turbo. I've got almost 200,000 miles on my car, same 2002 awd as yours. almost 100,000 of those are with the 16T upgrade. You are going to love it.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Lol, my turbo is traveling a lot in USA lol. Nice that the turbo will be at swedespeed forum

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's awesome. Glad I could keep it on the forum too.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If you would like to just send it over here I would be happy to give that 16T a good home in my XC :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a lot of folks use Bosch copper or OEM Volvo. I would avoid fancy platinum v plugs and such.

I'm gonna send that new 16T out tomorrow for you. I got it from volvos60t5x and its a beautiful little turbo. I've got almost 200,000 miles on my car, same 2002 awd as yours. almost 100,000 of those are with the 16T upgrade. You are going to love it.
Yeah these are just straight platinum pre-gapped plugs. I'll probably change em out when I install that turbo.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Pre gapped at what, 0.032"? I'd check em anyways as they can get knocked in shipping, and I'd suggest going down to 0.028" when you swap turbos.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts