1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
*Like*

·
Registered
113 Posts
Very cool. Dumb question: where's the fill plug? (tells you I've never looked at my angle gear....)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Interesting! I Like. How'd ya do it?

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool. Dumb question: where's the fill plug? (tells you I've never looked at my angle gear....)
on passenger side of the anglegear. box

Interesting! I Like. How'd ya do it?
nothing big just make sure you drill the hole perfectly straight...drill out, smooth out around the drilled hole, tap out the threads to your liking size drain plug.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Great idea but...

edit: I just thought of something... How does this look from the underside of the car, at a shallower angle? I'd be afraid of snagging the plug on a speed bump or something if it hangs down too low. :eek:

·
Registered
710 Posts
How often do you change your fluid?? i mean its a great idea but im hard pressed to drill a hole in the bottom of my awd unit.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great idea but...

edit: I just thought of something... How does this look from the underside of the car, at a shallower angle? I'd be afraid of snagging the plug on a speed bump or something if it hangs down too low. :eek:
oil pan would get snagged before all that.

How often do you change your fluid?? i mean its a great idea but im hard pressed to drill a hole in the bottom of my awd unit.
I have 42K now and I changed once at 32k when I bought the car...but hey, some owners change the gear oil when they replace the anglegear box... but if you don't feel comfortable doing it then you should not drill anything...it is not that big of a deal siphoning it out and you still have to put the new fluid in the same way.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Dougy- True, but sometimes you cant get all of the fluid out even if you add some fresh fluid to collect any debris that were left behind. I personally won't go this route since I'm not very skilled at making my own drain holes, nor do I have the right tools for that, but if you're experienced and feel confident enough, why not?

*Where's the fill bolt? No picture is necessary, just give me a general idea as to where on the angle gear it is and if its closer to the driver side/passenger side.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was planning to do the same on my AOC & rear diff before I put new one in place.
And it would be so cool to re engineer the AOC and add additional oil pan which would act as an oil cooler and then I'd be able to fit a sensor for oil viscosity and low AOC oil level... Hmmm sexy!

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was planning to do the same on my AOC & rear diff before I put new one in place.
And it would be so cool to re engineer the AOC and add additional oil pan which would act as an oil cooler and then I'd be able to fit a sensor for oil viscosity and low AOC oil level... Hmmm sexy!
I would like to do that...if you ever do, can I see some pics?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would like to do that...if you ever do, can I see some pics?
I bought myself a second hand AOC and rear diff and I plan to swap it next time I come home, in about a month. I'll share my knowledge in SS spirit.

I'll detaily inspect and dismantle AOC and see if anything can be done on it.
I guess at least the "reservoir" could be split in half and some holes drilled on both sides to run small oil cooler and then add some fluids to compensate oil cooling system capacity. It will be cool to see how this will develop.
:cool:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I made a custom one too. Decided to put it on the side while rebuilding my angle gear.

I also used a magnetic plug to catch any metallic straw which accumulates over time.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
well here we are 40,000 later and i decided to change my angle gear fluid...did my trans fluid after 25,000 miles last week.

some of my simple early mods like this one are hands down unbeatable...:D...i just dont know why i waited 40k to change the fluid.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hi Doug, what plug did you use? I see it is magnetic to.
W/o taking the unit apart how did you ensure that no drill/tap shavings were left in the pan?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts