SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I call the dealer (only Volvo guys near), to get an estimate on changing the angle gear oil. They say it can't be done without removing the whole angle gear box and pouring it out. I asked if it could just be pumped out and they say no. Is this correct? I just want to do it preventatively. Unfortunately, all my tools are in storage and I don't even have a garage right now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,184 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks George. That's what I asked them to do, but they claimed it wouldn't get it all out. They also seemed confused why I would want to change a "lifetime" fluid, right. I sort of cut him off with, "that's a debate we don't want to enter..." I am really not a jerk, but lifetime fluids just get me steamed.

Looks like I'll have to wait until after the move to Tampa and I get a garage and my tools back.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I highly recommend flushing the Angle Gear, Rear Differential, and Haldex AOC coupler's fluids every 50,000 miles.
In their defense, while you won't be able to drain 100% of the angle gear fluid by pumping it out, I'd take 80% new fluid in the angle gear compared to 0% any day of the week. :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mine is self flushing :) Just add a little every oil change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually it's not bad idea to take away the whole angle gear to change oil. Ok, it's expensive but they can also clean and lubricate that "axle" between gearbox and angle gear as well. That is the weak point in construction wise.

·
Registered
339 Posts
if your really worried about it (I wouldnt be) suck as much as you can out with a modified turkey baster setup and replace, then again in a few thousand miles.

My new favorite independent shop talked to me about my leaking angle gear, explaining in pretty good detail how they fix it. (and how they added about 1/3 quart.....which less the dealer didnt tell me is the first time anything has been added) I asked about the symptoms of a dry angle gear, which they said would start as a whine, eventually getting REALLY loud, but probably never failing catostrophically before it was too loud to tolerate.

I then asked it if only lost that much oil in 80,000 miles could I just add a smidge every other oil change or so....'absoulutely' was the answer. (giving up about $600 worth of labor to repair it)

Until its dripping on my garage floor I don't think its that big of a leak :) but seriously....its a bad design that seeps a bit (in my case) and would be more trouble than its worth to fix. I liken it to an old DC3....if its not dripping oil...its time to put some in. most of us arent going to keep these cars much past 150,000 miles so why sweat the small stuff

·
Registered
327 Posts
The angle gear takes the most hit and damage so a more frequent Angle gear oil change will go a long way considering the angle gear oil are not that expensive.
Even if it's 80% drained, once you do it more frequently you will have a balanced set of new oils in the angle gear.

I kinda like the XC90 V8 in that the 6 speed transmission, angle gear, aoc and rear final drive are almost identical to the S60R 6 speed GTA models.

I recently changed all the AWD Oil as well as the Haldex Oil Filter, I insisted and was willing to pay for these even though the dealer insisted that it is lifetime - Felt so much smoooooother :)
Anyway, did some research, I do believe VW/Audi does recommend their Haldex System oil changed every 20,000 Miles and the Haldex (AOC) oil filter changed every 40,000 Miles. So IMHO I think the Volvo Haldex is no different unless the AOC oil is a super long life oil and the filter used is forever - somehow doesn't add up so since it is inexpensive, I'd do it anyway.

see some DIY instructions
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKIV--3.2/Maintenance/ES3070/

and

1 - 10 of 10 Posts