SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I'm aware of the upgraded collar :p with the OE collar running for ~$120, I'm not sure I'm going to break six collars in my entire ownership of the car to make it worth it...especially now that I've done one replacement (the FIRST replacement at 180k miles) and the collar is no longer epoxied in place, making future replacements about an hour's work of pulling the axle, bearing carrier, propshaft bolts, and angle gear bolts.
How did you put the collar back on? Im a bit of a ghetto mechanic in some things and part of me says line it up, smack it back on by hand and then use a piece of wood and a hammer the rest of the way.

·
Registered
899 Posts
How did you put the collar back on? Im a bit of a ghetto mechanic in some things and part of me says line it up, smack it back on by hand and then use a piece of wood and a hammer the rest of the way.
Nice sticky grease all over the splines inside and out, rubber mallet pounded down to roughly the same level as the seal line on the old collar. No leaks so far, been a few months and like 10k miles.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Replacement collars are supposed to have a grease applied to them - it's listed in the catalog with the collar - 1161748

Personally I've never seen a collar with any epoxy, which is not to say they will not come off with out a puller or air chisel

no practical way to replace those seals with the collar in place.

when you get the collar off, you need to make sure the splines on the diff are still 'square' - if they are pointed, your diff is also ****ed

I would also stick with the Volvo coupler - I used the aftermarket $$$ one on my old Volvo, but that was 500AWHP / M66 - once it's hammered on it's NEVER coming off again

I always put Posi's in my M66's - so I just do all this crap while it's out & be done with it

·
Registered
899 Posts
Personally I've never seen a collar with any epoxy, which is not to say they will not come off with out a puller or air chisel
I am pretty darned sure they're epoxied from the factory.

The gunk in the grooves isn't grease or rust: it's hard, shiny, and brittle.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
False alarm! I kept looking further and further up, and finally had a chance to take out the battery tray. It looks like it is an oil leak either coming from the cam cover or the exhaust cam plug. There are enough wires and brackets in the way that I can't pinpoint it exactly until I have more time. At least I have the peace of mind knowing my angle gear or transmission won't run dry. The amount leaking is minute relative to the oil capacity. In my last 10,000km (6,200 mile) oil change interval the oil loss didn't even register on the dipstick.

Thanks for all the tips, though, folks! That may come in handy in the future, although I certainly hope it won't!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts