SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a substantial leak which seems to originate from the seam between the angle gear and transmission. When comparing to fresh fluid, the "sniff test" suggests it's closer to the milder scent of gear oil in the angle gear, though there's not enough of it to be certain.

Removal of the angle gear seems to be fairly straight forward, but removal of the collar sleeve seems to be impossible without destroying it. It seems like the angle gear comes right off, but the collar sleeve stays in place stuck to the transmission output shaft. Some people suggest it is epoxied from the factory, though mention that the later design doesn't require epoxying as it's a tighter fit. Perhaps P1's all have that updated design and are easier to remove? Folks in the R forum show pictures of them drilling holes and cutting notches in it to get some purchase for a 3-jaw puller. I do not want to spend $200 on a new collar sleve that is working just fine.

It looks like there are some seals that can be replaced without removing the collar sleeve from the trans - one on the transmission side and the remainder on the angle gear side if the above paragraph is correct...
  • #2 in the angle gear diagram
  • #24 in the angle gear diagram
  • #22 in the transmission diagram.
I would like to replace #21 and #23 from the transmission diagram, but am not sure if that will be feasible. I think the leak started when a shop removed and reinstalled the angle gear. Could have been from a hastily re-installed passenger side axle, or perhaps a poor seal with the collar sleeve. Could #21 have been damaged by the axle installatoin, or are both #21 and #23 safe from injury?

Could someone who has worked with the angle gear before please offer some input?

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Has the angle gear been out because these seals tend to get lipped when putting back together

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is very unlikely that they could have damaged those two seals unless they tried to remove the collar. I had this happen to my v50 about 3 months ago. No issues, and then bam all the fluid puked out the bottom, just like your picture. I thought my collar would be okay too, but once I got in there the splines were beginning to strip. I had to use a slide hammer and vice grips to get the old collar off the transmission (it's a crazy tight fit).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has the angle gear been out because these seals tend to get lipped when putting back together
Yes, it has. Which seal(s) cause the issue in your experience?

It is very unlikely that they could have damaged those two seals unless they tried to remove the collar. I had this happen to my v50 about 3 months ago. No issues, and then bam all the fluid puked out the bottom, just like your picture. I thought my collar would be okay too, but once I got in there the splines were beginning to strip. I had to use a slide hammer and vice grips to get the old collar off the transmission (it's a crazy tight fit).
When you say "those two seals", do you mean #21 and #23 from the transmission diagram? I'm inclined to agree with you. They wouldn't have done anything unnecessary - they just removed it to get access to try to weld on a nut to a snapped exhaust stud (long story). It seems like fluid is also getting pushed out closer to the top of the AG - I'd guess fluid is getting on the collar sleeve and is being flung outward.

This is our only vehicle, so I want to have everything necessary to do the job all at once. I'm sure at 210,000km there sleeve could be functional but well worn, and if it has to be removed to get to some key seals then I'm not totally averse to replacing it prematurely.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
It's usually the seal on the trans side.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
899 Posts
I can confirm the angle gear collar is still epoxied to the transmission output shaft even in P1s. I stripped my collar recently, and removal was a pain in the butt.

The epoxy used starts to break down around 300 degrees Fahrenheit, so since I was replacing the transmission seal anyway, I hit my old angle gear collar with a torch until the whole collar was over that temperature.

After that, it came right off.

Press in new seals, and installation is the reverse of removal.

Volvo kit 31437983 comes with a new collar, angle gear bolts, and seals. Here you can see the big seal around the collar (red) and the small seal on the inside of the trans output shaft (blue).

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
They EPOXIED THAT THING?!!?!??!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. Based on your experience, do you think the seals you pointed to with red and blue arrows could be replaced without removing the collar sleeve? I think those are the black seals in the kit, and the green o-ring seals at the end of the collar sleeve, right? I'm betting the issue is on the angle gear side, but if it's not too difficult I coul try doing those while I'm at it.

They sure did. I think it's to ensure it doesn't come out with the angle gear when it's removed.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thanks for the input. Based on your experience, do you think the seals you pointed to with red and blue arrows could be replaced without removing the collar sleeve? I think those are the black seals in the kit, and the green o-ring seals at the end of the collar sleeve, right? I'm betting the issue is on the angle gear side, but if it's not too difficult I coul try doing those while I'm at it.

They sure did. I think it's to ensure it doesn't come out with the angle gear when it's removed.
I really don't see how. You'd have to press that outer seal all the way down the angle gear collar, I'd be nervous about ripping the seal trying to press it in that far. And no way you'll be able to seat that inner seal properly on the inside of the hollow output shaft working from inside the angle gear collar.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Here's a photo I've shamelessly stolen from a Google search of new seals (including the green seal) pressed in to their appropriate positions on the transmission side. I unfortunately don't see a way the inner seal can be pressed flush with the output shaft with the angle gear collar in situ.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I used to have a V70R, and there was a bunch of speculation in the R forums about why the angle gear collar was epoxied on the trans side but not the angle gear side. Also lots of speculation as to why the angle gear collar is not hardened (possibly to be a "fuse" in the driveline so that breaks before something more expensive like a propshaft or the angle gear itself) and what causes the collar to fail.

I'm of the school of thought that corrosion's a contributor to angle gear collar failure, as every one I've seen with stripped splines (including mine) is also quite rusty: water gets in, the tips of the splines start corroding, enough material goes away that they strip under load. This seems to be further supported by people who have put in replacement collars getting away with covering the splines with a nice layer of grease to keep corrosion at bay, as they don't experience higher failure rates even with the collar no longer epoxied in to place.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, it has. Which seal(s) cause the issue in your experience?

When you say "those two seals", do you mean #21 and #23 from the transmission diagram? I'm inclined to agree with you. They wouldn't have done anything unnecessary - they just removed it to get access to try to weld on a nut to a snapped exhaust stud (long story). It seems like fluid is also getting pushed out closer to the top of the AG - I'd guess fluid is getting on the collar sleeve and is being flung outward.

This is our only vehicle, so I want to have everything necessary to do the job all at once. I'm sure at 210,000km there sleeve could be functional but well worn, and if it has to be removed to get to some key seals then I'm not totally averse to replacing it prematurely.
Haha yes, I meant #21 & #23. Sorry for the lack of detail there. When I did mine I ordered one to have it on hand, and it turned out to be a good decision for my scenario. I was right at about the same mileage as you (mine was 138k miles). If you want to replace #21 & #23, then you'll likely want to get a collar. I've never heard of anyone successfully removing it from the trans without damaging it. Good luck on the project though. I can say that it isn't the worst job I've ever done, but it does take a bit of work. The slide hammer vice grip combo was my best friend and I'd highly reccomend it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. I have a feeling it's seal #24 on the angle gear that was lipped/pinched, so I'll start with the angle gear side and remove/replace the collar sleeve and transmission-side seals if it comes to it.

Funilly, I don't see #24 listed in any parts lists - I'll check VIDA to see if I can find the part number.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I dunno, if I were you I'd just do the whole enchilada (angle gear collar and transmission-side seals), while you have the axle and angle gear out of the way anyway. MTF is so hard to distinguish from regular gear oil, and you'll be kicking yourself if you replace just the angle gear seals and are still dripping fluid. Just go in with a torch, grinder, and beefy 3-jaw puller. The job is unpleasant, but doesn't take very long if you come prepared.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're probably right - bite the $200 bullet and just get it all done at once.

How hard is the collar sleeve's metal? Could I drill through it with titanium-coated drill bits? I don' thave an angle grinder to create holds for the puller.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Definitely not THAT hard, which is probably a factor in their basically being a wear item :ROFLMAO: I'm sure you could drill 3 holes for a puller.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I hate to say this in case you didn't know @taloras there's an upgraded collar you can buy. It's pricey but it's made from better steel and is more precise than the oem unit. Sadly, it is $800 by itself however.

I plan on swapping out my old angle gear with a new one (low mileage, rebuilt, etc), crack it open and put a drain plug in it before install, so I can be sure it's rock solid and won't go bad.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I hate to say this in case you didn't know @taloras there's an upgraded collar you can buy. It's pricey but it's made from better steel and is more precise than the oem unit. Sadly, it is $800 by itself however.

I plan on swapping out my old angle gear with a new one (low mileage, rebuilt, etc), crack it open and put a drain plug in it before install, so I can be sure it's rock solid and won't go bad.
I'm aware of the upgraded collar :p with the OE collar running for ~$120, I'm not sure I'm going to break six collars in my entire ownership of the car to make it worth it...especially now that I've done one replacement (the FIRST replacement at 180k miles) and the collar is no longer epoxied in place, making future replacements about an hour's work of pulling the axle, bearing carrier, propshaft bolts, and angle gear bolts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts