SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, long time reader, and first problem. I have the volvo s60r 2004 w/138k miles and whilst i was cruising (not hard driving) i heard a loud crack. No lights no problem driving or steering or shifting. But there was a metallic clanking coming from what seemed to be the wheel.

Upon further inspection, i discovered that my angle gear had malfunctioned and no longer sending power to my rear wheels. i put the car up on jacks and turned the wheel freely and i heard what seemed liked disengaged or skipping gears coming from the rear of the angle gear. there is a bit oil, but i was told it was common in the R's.

the collar that connects the drive shaft to the angle gear can be moved bout and 1/8th of an inch and would seem to engage when pushed forward and turns but slips right back out when continued turning.

Is this the collar or does the entire gear need to be replaced? is there something i can try to secure that collar forward to keep it engaged? kinda lost here. any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
From your description, it does sound like the collar gear is stripped, and the angle gear still functions given that it's intermittent in low torque situations. But it'll get worst through time where you won't have any engaging.

There's no way to tell 100% what's going on until you pull apart the angle gear from the transmission. So you need to be prepared. Of course, there's always the JanHargis AWD Weld Method which will only be labor if angle gear is stripped.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Of course, there's always the JanHargis AWD Weld Method which will only be labor if angle gear is stripped.
Questionable. My understanding is that nobody on here, nor Volvo, recommends reusing a collar gear that was removed...mostly because there isn't an easy way to get it off. As such, at best you're still going to need a new collar sleeve. I believe JanHargis drilled and welded a new collar sleeve. While you're at it, you might as well flush and reseal the angle gear just to prolong its operation. In any case...the repair is either going to be a few hundred or a few thousand bucks...all said and done.

DevolvR, do you agree?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Questionable. My understanding is that nobody on here, nor Volvo, recommends reusing a collar gear that was removed...mostly because there isn't an easy way to get it off. As such, at best you're still going to need a new collar sleeve. I believe JanHargis drilled and welded a new collar sleeve. While you're at it, you might as well flush and reseal the angle gear just to prolong its operation. In any case...the repair is either going to be a few hundred or a few thousand bucks...all said and done.

DevolvR, do you agree?
I agree with the angle gear maintenance if its necessary like weeping or leaks. But I also see his solution a viable option if your angle gear input shaft has failed.

I read through JanHargis's thread a few times and he clearly stated that he reused the old sleeve simply because the old sleeve had good splines still on the transmission end. Whereas the stripped side didn't matter since it couldn't mate to the stripped angle gear input shaft, so it doesn't matter if its a new sleeve or not. The only reason why removing the sleeve is difficult is the initial epoxy that Volvo uses to try to solve the fitment issue(doing worst than good). Secondly it's leverage, If you have an entire housing of the angle gear welded to the sleev, it gives a lot more area to apply pressure or torque to removing the entire unit from the transmission shaft; ie pryin with a crow bar on the angle gear housing or using some sort of push tapping method.

What JanHargis did was that he went around the issue of angle gear being stripped(makin use of something that would be considered as disposable), and basically went around the whole issue o the collar gear being of poor fitment. It's not entirely fullproof as the sleeve material is still weak, but a least the transmission side fitment is much more snug(and no known case of spline failure on that side).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Right. I just went back and re-read as well...you're right, in that case assuming you don't mangle the collar sleeve, you could reuse it. Speaking of which, I'm about to leave work to go pickup my car post-above mentioned procedure. My mechanic used an air chisel to bang it off. There are some shallow nicks in the surface, but plenty material left to drill and weld. The angle gear side was nice and smooth inside. :( You've all seen pictures.

We decided to pack and seal with grease in an attempt to keep moisture out. They fitted a small gasket on top to try and prevent it from rusting as quickly. We'll see how that goes. Also looking forward to breaking in the VIVA SMF...and feeling out the TME springs. Maybe I'll post pictures later.

Late addition: I think its interesting to see the new crop of R owners surfacing with repeated topics of interest. Its the consistent lifespan of enthusiast cars as told via web forums. its nice to be in the group of second owners helping the 3rd owners with their new caRs. I fell into a similar spot on Audiworld when I owned my S4. I'll label the groups: Original Owners (some who only do what the dealers say and some who truly innovate the platform), 2nd owners (bang for the buck people who like driving a nicely depreciated car, and like the refined look with their mods), and 3rd owners (people who have always wanted one, had one fall in their lap, or other things). The 2nd owners drive the first owners crazy and the 3rd owners drive the second owners crazy, as we all ask the same questions, go through similar journeys and disassemble and reassemble our cars. It's just great that the interwebs have given us a place to share our love for interesting vehicles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info guys. so i have decided tomorrow i am going to tear the angle gear out to take a looksee. once out, is there a way i can definately say its the collar or the entire gear?

also, i have been searching for a guide to get it out. have found some but wondering if yall can make some recomendations???

·
Registered
844 Posts
IDK, when my sleeve failed, it simply did not send power to the angle gear thus no drive-train spin. I had no noise. Op has a grinding noise. This is most likely the angle gear itself. Anyway buy a used angle gear and reseal it. Buy a new sleeve and all seals. Buy angle gear oil. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
IDK, when my sleeve failed, it simply did not send power to the angle gear thus no drive-train spin. I had no noise. Op has a grinding noise. This is most likely the angle gear itself. Anyway buy a used angle gear and reseal it. Buy a new sleeve and all seals. Buy angle gear oil. Good luck.
When my failed, I had a loud bang and grinding noise. Then it went away and became full time FWD mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does this sound correct to anyone else? that a collar failure wouldnt send power to the angle gear? and thus no power at all?

But in this instance, the fact that im getting power to the front wheels but not the back, suggest that the angle gear has failed?

Btw, does anyone know of a good walkthrough for replacing these things since its such a common failure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When my failed, I had a loud bang and grinding noise. Then it went away and became full time FWD mode.
grinding went away? did you address the problem of possible metal shards entering your trans or more directly wearing your angle gear down faster than normal? is there any modifications needed to just have only fwd?

my issue is my extended warranty hasnt kicked in yet (and it would cover the entire cost minus 100$ deductable) if this is the angle gear failure, i would much rather drive the limited miles till it takes effect. how can i get rid of the sound it makes and just retain fwd?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SO, what now?d

does this look Stripped? i dont think so but maybe some one with more experince can tell me.

Previous problem, a loosely engaged drive train. brand new at this.

From everything i could read, this sounded like a stripped sleeve. if you need more pictures, just let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Could you clean it a bit more there before the pictures? Can't quite see, there definitely wear on those splines.

·
Registered
844 Posts
That angle gear should be okay. Mine looked the same. Clean it up and reuse. I have not taken mine apart. There is a great tech bulletin of how to do this floating out there. It is a great bulletin, find it. I hope someone chimes in and send it to you. I think it is in VIDA and or DICE.

·
Registered
844 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So a lil update, got it all out and found this in my angle gear.
I know it cannot be replaced by itself so i have decided to go the way of Matt 07VR and remove the gear to the rear drive train.

A few issues that i have with this is what do i plug back in the whole it leaves leading to the drive shaft? and what related systems will be affected if i do this and can they be disengaged?

I will only be driving like this for a few months till i can afford a new angle gear so a permanent fix is not necessary but it does need to keep debris out and oil in.

any help, suggestions, links are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Was it leaking? It could have been that a dry unit can cause such a failure. This is not very common, but a leaking Angle Gear is.

You obviously need a replacement unit, you can oftenly find working used units for about $500-600.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Was it leaking? It could have been that a dry unit can cause such a failure. This is not very common, but a leaking Angle Gear is.

You obviously need a replacement unit, you can oftenly find working used units for about $500-600.
Ditto. Probably ran low enough on fluid to fail mechanically. Erie volvo in PA is a great source for second-hand parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts