SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After experiencing a couple of weeks of the front-drive R-ness, I had the angle gear and sleeve replaced.

Props to R.Photo, who suggested his mechanic. It as a bit of a hike for me (about two hours), but a reliable, knowledgeable and reasonably priced wrench is a valuable resource to have around.

It turned out that not only was the sleeve stripped, but so, too, were the splines on the angle gear. He had a very low mileage unit pulled from a 2005 S80 that fit right in. He was able to do it pretty quickly and I also had him replace the transmission and rear diff fluids (in addition to the angle gear juice, of course).

It is pretty amazing how different the car is when it is working correctly. Night and day.

The killer torque steer should have been a big tipoff.

Thanks again, Zack.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Nice! So was there any welding involved, or was this the more typical installation?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just had to have my R's collar sleeve replaced and the angle gear resealed...a FWD R is an unhappy R. How much did he charge you for the angle gear, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just picked up an angle gear for $350, but erievovo.com has one for 775 lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! So was there any welding involved, or was this the more typical installation?
Bob,

I did not have him weld it. I considered it, but then figured that something else might fail and six-speed transmissions are few and far between for these cars.

Welding it may be a solution for some folks, and, while Volvo's engineering seems flawed, or at least weak, the sleeve and angle gear replacement I may need to do again in a few years seems to simply be something to budget for.

Low-mileage angle gears aren't exactly falling off trees (new ones are what? $1,700 from the dealer?), but the swap, as I suspected, was very straightforward. Ray did a great and quick job swapping everything out. And there was no nightmare getting the collar off. He just used an air hammer and beat it up for a few minutes. No gear puller required.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just had to have my R's collar sleeve replaced and the angle gear resealed...a FWD R is an unhappy R. How much did he charge you for the angle gear, if you don't mind me asking?
He charged me $775. The unit was used, but looked like it had had every seal replaced yesterday. The collar/sleeve was a new Volvo part. It was $110, I believe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts