SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm currently working on my friends angle gear on his 2003 xc90 D5 with manual gearbox.

It's been leaking gear oil from between the gearbox and angle gear since I changed the engine crank seal and replaced the missing core plug.

About a month ago I replaced the sleeve and the 3 seals between the gearbox and angle gear hoping that would solve the problem but it hasn't.

Now I've checked the levels and found that the gearbox hasn't lost any gear oil but the angle gear has lost approximately 250ml since I replaced the sleeve and seals.

Now I know it's the angle gear that is leaking I've taken it apart and found that there is a groove in the shaft that looks like it's been caused by the seal itself and also the teeth are quite badly damaged on the shaft.

My question is does anyone know if I can get a new shaft and if so where from?

Many thanks

·
Registered
535 Posts
They do make repair sleeves for parts that get worn by seals such as harmonic dampers on SBC's. For some applications they also make offset seals so that the seal rubber rides in a different location.

I don't know where you would find the shaft.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Sometimes all you need to do is not press the seal all the way in, so the lip rides on a different part of the shaft. Isn't the shaft part of one of the gears in the angle gear? I'd expect the gears are a matched set and can't be purchased separately.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
M66 was not offered on the XC90 in the North America market, not going to find much in this forum outright. And if the input spline is chewed up as you note in your original post, you pretty much need to replace the gear (or weld a sleeve as a couple folk in the R forum have done).

I went looking for this part on Lisle and it appears that this angle gear was on a whole bunch of P2 cars from 2003 up to perhaps 2009. Key is 5 cylinder and key for diesel 5 cylinder is D5244- T or T2, not T4 or beyond.

ExchangePN is 36000340, supersession is 36000272, 8602919, 8603809 but there may be some more PNs on the other cars.

If you get a copy of VIDA (OBD forum) and get it loaded onto a PC you can have a look for yourself. You can also see if anything local comes up on search for any of the above part numbers, get a feel for what's out there now.

If what I'm suggesting is correct, one possible option is to find a low wear spline angle gear and replace it outright, but you'll need to validate this for yourself since I'm going by what's out there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies

With the seal all the way home it only just rides on the flat part of the shaft so leaving it out slightly may cause it to leak more, I would give it a try or find a machine shop that can fill the groove with weld and machine it flat again but the splines are close to failing altogether and my friend plans to keep the car so it needs to be a repair that is going to last.

So I guess I need to look for a replacement angle gear there are a couple on Ebay but they could be worn also

Many thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never gave that a thought John C so I may need to get both shafts and I was planning on replacing all bearings and seals also so it would be as good as new but only if I can get the parts lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts