SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other vehicles/years do I have the option of using an angle gear from for my s60r GT?

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
03-09 S60 AWD, 03-07 XC70, 03-07 V70 AWD (not really applicable in America aside from an R).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
06 / 07 GT angle gears won't interchange, the collar is larger to accommodate the larger passenger side axle of the 6spd trans.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Haven't tried that combo, but I know for absolutely sure that an M66 angle gear is not interchangeable with the 06 GT. The 6spd was designed for the V8 XC90 and has a larger axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
What other vehicles/years do I have the option of using an angle gear from for my s60r GT?
All of them are the same, as long as it has the same casing style (as in, the older style ones have a protective shielding underneath) they will work. You can change the yoke to fit your specific vehicle, it's only held on with one nut. The collar sleeves will fit whether it's auto or manual.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Not true for the 06 / 07 GT. The input to the later auto angle gear is larger.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Interesting, good to know, but that also sucks for anyone who owns one.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Sucked for me when I tried to replace mine and found out the hard way. Good news is that the system appears to be very robust compared to the earlier design.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Huh, I'm pretty sure the only difference is the collar sleeve... Also, that picture one of the angle gears is upside down... Do you have the dimensional differences?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of great info here

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
The ID delta is approximately 2mm, though it's tough to measure. The 06/07 GT axle WILL NOT pass through an M66 AG, so they're definitely different. Also, the 6spd auto collar is so large that it doesn't come close to engaging with the AG.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
The ID delta is approximately 2mm, though it's tough to measure. The 06/07 GT axle WILL NOT pass through an M66 AG, so they're definitely different. Also, the 6spd auto collar is so large that it doesn't come close to engaging with the AG.

That's really weird... Especially considering Volvo only lists one AG from what I can see. Makes no sense. But hey that's Volvo. In the 3 years of the P80 AWD there were 2 angle gears and 3 driveshafts or something absurd.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
It's an artifact of sharing trans & axles with the XC90 V8.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When you replace the AG replacing with a new collar should be SOP.
And if the AG came from a donor with a different trans type than what you own be it auto to M66 OR M66 to auto then absolutely a new proper type collar is reequired.
The collars _do not_ interchange between transmission types among the AG.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts