SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Post Here:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?237280-Angle-Gear-needs-Replaced-any-advice

My angle gear sounds like an oversized blender filled with wrenches. I think it might need replaced. I just ordered a used one with a lifetime warranty from Erie Volvo in NY (Erie Vo-Vo). I went ahead and ordered a sleeve kit too (30787988). I have a 2004 XC90 2.5T
Am I on the right track?
Are there other seals anyone recommends I replace? I won’t be resealing the halves due to the warranty. I will just keep up on fluid.

I seem to recall a drain plug mod. Has anyone done that and do they recommend it? It would probably be easier to install while the new angle gear is out of the car.

I have not done this project before so any warnings or tips would be helpful.

I did not have the money around to do this repair and it is going to burn bad.

THANKS

·
Registered
200 Posts
I replaced my sleeve last winter @ 140K, and honestly whatever came with the sleeve is what I used seal wise. Just replace the fluid and bolt it on. There are threads out there that show the R&R but doing it in the driveway/garage can be a bit of PITA. Try putting the car on some nice/safe jack stands so you have clearance. Other than that straight forward, remove passenger wheel, unbolt some suspension parts remove the passenger half shaft then you are there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any tips on removing the collar? I read it can be tuff.
How is the prop shaft removed?
Did you lubricate the axle near the exhaust? (I have only read that should be done and haven't looked to see what they are talking about yet)

The angle gear arrived today and I am now waiting on the collar. Many of the posts I have seen about the angle gear and fluid are more than 5 years old. Has anything developed since? Is there a consensus on the best fluid to use?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The stupid CV joint at the end of the drive shaft came apart. It was my fault. I didn't pay attention and was too rough with it making me the stupid thing not it. That joint had to be very carefully put back together. That was tough enough. Now I put everything in including a new collar sleeve.

NOW I HAVE A TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK. There are only two seals that I put in which came with the collar kit. Which did I mess up and are there any ideas to what was wrong? I took the snap ring out initially thinking it needed removed for installation. Once I got the angle gear off, I saw that was not necessary. Did I put the snap ring in wrong? Does it go in a certain way? I installed it at the end of the splines in the recessed spot. I have been trying to look at pictures online. Was the ring supposed to be placed further in than that?

I could use some help. I am going to have to take this apart again and I would like to get it right this time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump.............
I am ordering both seals in case one was messed up during installation.
It would be real helpful if someone could explain the snap ring. Does it simply install ini the free space after the splines in the collar? There aren't any other significant recesses but this is a very wide recess after the splines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts