SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My angle gear sounds like an oversized blender filled with wrenches. I think it might need replaced. I just ordered a used one with a lifetime warranty from Erie Volvo in NY (Erie Vo-Vo). I went ahead and ordered a sleeve kit too (30787988). I have a 2004 XC90 2.5T
Am I on the right track?
Are there other seals anyone recommends I replace? I won’t be resealing the halves due to the warranty. I will just keep up on fluid.

I seem to recall a drain plug mod. Has anyone done that and do they recommend it? It would probably be easier to install while the new angle gear is out of the car.

I have not done this project before so any warnings or tips would be helpful.

I did not have the money around to do this repair and it is going to burn bad.

THANKS

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The angle gear arrived today and I am now waiting on the collar. Many of the posts I have seen about the angle gear and fluid are more than 5 years old. Has anything developed since? Is there a consensus on the best fluid to use?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The stupid CV joint at the end of the drive shaft came apart. It was my fault. I didn't pay attention and was too rough with it making me the stupid thing not it. That joint had to be very carefully put back together. That was tough enough. Now I put everything in including a new collar sleeve.

NOW I HAVE A TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK. There are only two seals that I put in which came with the collar kit. Which did I mess up and are there any ideas to what was wrong? I took the snap ring out initially thinking it needed removed for installation. Once I got the angle gear off, I saw that was not necessary. Did I put the snap ring in wrong? Does it go in a certain way? I installed it at the end of the splines in the recessed spot. I have been trying to look at pictures online. Was the ring supposed to be placed further in than that?

I could use some help. I am going to have to take this apart again and I would like to get it right this time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts