SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my car was at the dealer yesterday. They said that it's not the angle gear that's leaking fluid, but the transmission from the O-ring being worn from movement in the collar sleeve. Because of that, the angle gear is rusted on the inside and pretty much should be replaced soon.

I have 134,000 on the clock so I think it may be time to trade the R in. Kbb says that its worth $5500 which seems low but I guess that makes sense for an 04.

What pisses me off is that all this is caused by the collar not being replaced during last angle gear reseal. I told the tech at Don Beyer Volvo in virginia that if the collar was at all worn to replace it. He said that the collar looked brand new in January. So obviously he lied to me.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Personally, I would see what you can get on a trade in, it does not make too much sense to me to put a few grand into a 134K mile car, if you can pick up a used AG & do it your self that might be another story.

GL

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
What's leaking? Transmission or the angle gear? is it transmission fluid or gear oil?

An angle gear O ring reseal is around 3-4 hours of labor. That should not be considered as a high cost, enough to sell your car.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
oh and KBB has no clue what an R is worth. That might be an average for a regular 2004 S60 at 134K miles.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's leaking? Transmission or the angle gear? is it transmission fluid or gear oil?

An angle gear O ring reseal is around 3-4 hours of labor. That should not be considered as a high cost, enough to sell your car.
The tech said that from what it looks like its the transmission fluid. That's whats worrying me. Plus I'm considering what else can go on the car in a few months.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh and KBB has no clue what an R is worth. That might be an average for a regular 2004 S60 at 134K miles.
Do you have a better place where I can double check the trade in value? I really don't want to do a private sale since it can take a while.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
The tech said that from what it looks like its the transmission fluid. That's whats worrying me. Plus I'm considering what else can go on the car in a few months.
Is it Red or clear fluid?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Do you have a better place where I can double check the trade in value? I really don't want to do a private sale since it can take a while.
Look at our forum classifieds, and also look at local sales and the going asking price. I would say your R is around the ballpark of 8.5K-9000K depending on the condition(and problems fixed), but I could be wrong. Definitely not at 5.5K.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at our forum classifieds, and also look at local sales and the going asking price. I would say your R is around the ballpark of 8.5K-9000K depending on the condition(and problems fixed), but I could be wrong. Definitely not at 5.5K.
I mean I take amazing care of it. Super clean inside and out. Mechanically it's perfect other than this. It just started last month. I put the car on ramps every month to check bushings and so on. And all of a sudden I saw this.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I mean I take amazing care of it. Super clean inside and out. Mechanically it's perfect other than this. It just started last month. I put the car on ramps every month to check bushings and so on. And all of a sudden I saw this.
Suck it up and fix it like I have. I've been there, and it's one less thing you need to worry about later now that it's been replace. Good for another 130K.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Try out NADA, it has all the options for an R. It knows what an R is.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
That's about what it's worth on trade in (with a good angle gear!)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try out NADA, it has all the options for an R. It knows what an R is.
Around $8000 from NADA. That's not bad at all. The reason I really don't want to fix it is because who knows what else will fail. My logic right now is to get what I can for it and move on. Obviously the next car isn't going to be as nice since I'm in college, but whatever. Maybe a 2012 VW GTI.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry, but i just traded in my 2006 6 speed with 102k. 100% clean car fax.....not a ding on the body, and you could perform suregry off the interior. i had to fight hard to get $7k

dealers dont car about a niche car, and have no clue about an R vs an s60.

if you want any decent money, sell it on the open market. but then you risk someone getting a mechanic to find all you AWD drive issues. And it takes time to sell a car like that.

the dealer at trade in wont get a mechanic, they will just scan for codes and low ball you on what the book says.

sucks, but its the thruth. I didnt have time to sell my car so i took the $7k, it was sold at auction and is being sold now for $13k at another dealer.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's why whenever I have some type of spider sense going off or when someone says some dumb **** I'm like prove it!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just looked at Manheim Auction report, you can probably expect $4000. to $5,500. for an actual cash value trade in, depending if they know about the work that's needed. Other factors can also affect trade in value. Just fix the darn thing and keep driving!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Man I just bought a 04 sr mt knowing it had a bad aoc pump. No biggie. Picked up entire diff used for 350$ from strangberg in wisconsin. There is no way you are going to find a car that drives like an R. Looks like an R or feels lile an R for whatever they are going to give you on a trade in. Oh and I am a full time student too. GLWS

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 30 Posts