SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you had any luck putting a thicker (viscosity) ATF oil in the angle gear to help quiet it down a little? If so were did you find it and what is it called or what is the viscosity rating?

It started making noises shortly after the Collar Sleeve was replaced. The technician over tightened (torqued) the bearing retainer and caused premature wear on the gear. It has been re-torqued correctly but the noise is still present. The AWD operates fine it just the whining/howling noise that is annoying. Sounds like a 4wd truck with large mud tires on the inside.

Matt

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you put thicker oil in there, pinion bearing will lack lubrication even more (see my angle gear rebuild thread). Then it will fail completely and start grinding eventually.
You should just leave with the whining noise and hope it doesnt get any worse.
I would ask the shop who did the repair for a compensation for new/used angle gear.

Why was the bearing retainer removed in the first place?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Used AG w/ warranty were ~ 500USD a few yrs ago fr erievovo just in case your mechanic agrees to fix/ split the difference...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just get another before it ends badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks for the info. I know the best solution is to replace or rebuild. I will check out the link and possibly give it a try. Not really in the budget (well it is but don't want to spend that money). I need new strut mounts and tires right now so will just try to "bandaid" it. The shop that did it was where I used to work but I am not there any more. I just paid the Tech. $100 to do it after hours. The whole collar sleeve repair cost me less than $300.

Not sure the answer about the bearing retainer. I did not watch him do it. Another Tech (same company different location) that looked at it later said the bearing was WAY to tight. Also said the O'ring must have got pinched as well because it was leaking from where the pass. axle comes out of the Angle gear. I could have just ran it low on fluid and caused the premature wear and hence the noise now. Who knows?? Water under the bridge now. I will deal with it until it breaks I guess.

Matt

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you put thicker oil in there, pinion bearing will lack lubrication even more (see my angle gear rebuild thread). Then it will fail completely and start grinding eventually.
You should just leave with the whining noise and hope it doesnt get any worse.
I would ask the shop who did the repair for a compensation for new/used angle gear.

Why was the bearing retainer removed in the first place?
Do you have the link to your angle gear rebuild? Because I am having the same issue. Oil is oozing out from the AG on the passenger side (slowly but surely). Also, where do you source the pinion bearings? The rebuild kit from Viva only has the seals but not actual internal bearings.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you want to replace the seal that is between the right side driveshaft and angle gear, you dont need to remove the bearing race. Only to replace the small o-ring that is under the race. But those leak rarely. Best bet is to mark the position with marker, count the turns to remove and install same way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ah ok...and that special tool you used to remove the ring, was that something you just happen to have? hehe

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Ah ok...and that special tool you used to remove the ring, was that something you just happen to have? hehe

I work at a dealership that services Fords and Volvos. We dont have Volvo special tool for that, but we had one used on Ford transmissions. It fit perfectly

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Well I am in the same boat... 15k miles after PO replaced collar sleeve and its making some wonderful noises. (Some that may have been caused by a lack of lubrication...). Time to go angle gear shopping :facepalm: Check the fluid level in your angle gear... Also get a sample and see if it is sparkly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have recently joined the club of people with an angle gear issue. My angle gear ran dry due to the center seal leaking. After which, it had developed a steady whine even after filled with some 75/90 royal purple. Is this whine the bearings,heads or both?

·
Registered
234 Posts
So...I have another concern. The part number for the passenger side seal of the AG, is that 9143885? I bought it from the dealer but when I went under and started to replace the seal, the seal that is currently on the angle gear is slightly bigger than the one that the dealer gave me. Can anyone double check?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Oddly enough, before I had my rather spectacular bearing failure in my angle gear, no noise...

You should have it checked to make sure it is preloaded correctly.

I run full synthetic 85-90 in mine, but I really don't think going to 85-140 would hurt anything.

Additionally, the oring you are looking at is more there to keep stuff out than to keep gear oil in.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you want to replace the seal that is between the right side driveshaft and angle gear, you dont need to remove the bearing race. Only to replace the small o-ring that is under the race. But those leak rarely. Best bet is to mark the position with marker, count the turns to remove and install same way.
After talking with Viva, they have the correct part number, which is 30651380, which is for the TF-80SC (40mm seal) ...So how do you remove the smaller inner seal? Do you just pry it off with pliers? Can I do it without having to unbolt the entire AG from the transmission?

Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts