SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. It finally happened. The angle gear blew up, and I mean royally. The output shaft has ½" of play and it tilts (!!!) 20-25°, meaning that the whole shaft has probably broken in half. This is what you get by frequent full throttle launches with a billet 19T, 17psi target boost and torque limiter removed.

So I need a new unit. I tried to search but couldn't find any definitive list of which angle gears are interchangeable. Most Volvos at the wreckers are diesels and I don't have a clue whether their angle gear is the same as in 2.5T. Any differences between V70/S60/XC70? Model years? Mine is 2003.

Does anyone know? Help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,739 Posts
All aw55 awd and m66 awd angle gears are the same for haldex awd systems. -02 is different gear ratio for some reason.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The output shaft has ½" of play and it tilts (!!!) 20-25°, meaning that the whole shaft has probably broken in half.
Most likely bearing was oil-starved and failed. The unit can handle 450 Nm of D5's torque, which is probably more than you can get out of 2.5T without deep mods.

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All aw55 awd and m66 awd angle gears are the same for haldex awd systems. -02 is different gear ratio for some reason.
Thanks! The mfg date of mine is around Nov-Dec 2002 so I'll have to confirm this. Is 2002 model year or date of manufacture, or before/after a certain VIN?
Most likely bearing was oil-starved and failed. The unit can handle 450 Nm of D5's torque, which is probably more than you can get out of 2.5T without deep mods.
If the angle gear was connected directly to crankshaft, that might be the case, but the transaxle is in between to convert torque at the crank to torque at the driveshafts. The D5 has much taller final drive ratio than 2.5T, reducing the torque multiplier hence stress/torque at the angle gear. I don't consider my engine that deeply modified - simple bolt-ons - and it pushes out around 500Nm at the crank throughout a fairly wide rpm range. All this means that I'm putting at least 30-40% more torque through the angle gear than a D5 will.

The actual torque at the transmission output shaft and angle gear is in excess of 5500Nm during first gear full launch, 4.66:1 gear ratio and 2.44:1 final drive ratio. I'm amazed it lasted even this long, with fresh (9/2018) Redline Light Shockproof, the oil of choice if you want it to stay in one piece longer than a few launches in the first place. :D

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question: can I remove the angle gear, install the passenger side axle back and drive the car temporarily with no ill effects? That would buy me some time to find a suitable replacement and keep the car on the road meanwhile.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If the angle gear was connected directly to crankshaft, that might be the case, but the transaxle is in between to convert torque at the crank to torque at the driveshafts. The D5 has much taller final drive ratio than 2.5T, reducing the torque multiplier hence stress/torque at the angle gear. I don't consider my engine that deeply modified - simple bolt-ons - and it pushes out around 500Nm at the crank throughout a fairly wide rpm range. All this means that I'm putting at least 30-40% more torque through the angle gear than a D5 will.

The actual torque at the transmission output shaft and angle gear is in excess of 5500Nm during first gear full launch, 4.66:1 gear ratio and 2.44:1 final drive ratio. I'm amazed it lasted even this long, with fresh (9/2018) Redline Light Shockproof, the oil of choice if you want it to stay in one piece longer than a few launches in the first place. :D
AW55 does not lock torque converter in 1st gear, you won't get 4.66:1 on wheels. Your WOT launches just boil the ATF in excess of the torque the TC is able to push through.

I run Red Line as well in AG. Volvo fluid is not bad, too. However, over time it clogs bearing oil passages with sludge, so they start to starve.

I would rebuild the angle gear. Quality bearings, clean oil passages, shaft with restored/fortified splines, proper reseal (http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/...NN, Drivetrain - Angle Gear Fluid Leakage.pdf).

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, just keep the collar sleeve in place.
Thanks. This is good news. So the angle gear is coming out tonight.

AW55 does not lock torque converter in 1st gear, you won't get 4.66:1 on wheels. Your WOT launches just boil the ATF in excess of the torque the TC is able to push through.

I run Red Line as well in AG. Volvo fluid is not bad, too. However, over time it clogs bearing oil passages with sludge, so they start to starve.

I would rebuild the angle gear. Quality bearings, clean oil passages, shaft with restored/fortified splines, proper reseal (http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/...NN, Drivetrain - Angle Gear Fluid Leakage.pdf).
The 4.66 x 2.44 multiplication doesn't even include the torque multiplication characteristics of the converter. With a stock stallspeed I'd estimate it conservatively at around 1.8-2.0, maybe effectively a little less on 1st gear as the reproxicating mass of B5254 isn't the lightest. In any case the angle gear takes a serious beating - putting the foot down with DSTC on results in TC warning light blinking all the way to 70-ish mph. On dry asphalt, with AWD.

I might consider a rebuild but the XC is just a winter beater and I'm not sure if I can be bothered. Angle gears are relatively cheap and easy to replace, even more so than transmissions (I'm on my third now in just over three years). I'll have to take a closer look once I get it on the table and crack it open, odds are that the output shaft has broken in half and judging from the sound it made, there hardly is a single salvageable part inside. ;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks! The mfg date of mine is around Nov-Dec 2002 so I'll have to confirm this. Is 2002 model year or date of manufacture, or before/after a certain VIN?
Should be MY. -02 used a VC AWD, 03- used Haldex. ScottishBrick said all the Haldex AWD angle gears are the same. So it sounds like it depends on which AWD system you have.

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it sounds like it depends on which AWD system you have.
It's Haldex so that settles it. I pulled the angle gear and installed driveshaft without it (took all of 25 minutes), and took it for a test drive. Still some grinding/clunking noise and very rough gearshifts. The gearbox has apparently gone too. Oh crap. I'll have to prepare for a slightly more extensive junkyard run this time.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts

Man, now you're making me paranoid. I'm not easy on my XC either, but I'm only averaging 12k mi a year. I'm prepared to replace whatever fails, but so far everything seems to be ok.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The 03 angle gears are different from the 02s. I guess 03 is when they went to haldex? Make sure you get one accordingly, don’t make the mistake I made. Driveshaft won’t bolt up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man, now you're making me paranoid.
Don't worry, you're still on the sensible side with a 16T and Hilton tune. 19T with a billet wheel and ARD tune, high target boost and 1st-2nd gear torque limiter completely removed seems to be a death sentence for drivetrain components. Not to mention my driving style, fully utilizing the fact that a dark blue P2 Volvo is virtually invisible to law enforcement. If I drove a red Corvette like I drive it, I'd be locked up by now. :D

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Don't worry, you're still on the sensible side with a 16T and Hilton tune. 19T with a billet wheel and ARD tune, high target boost and 1st-2nd gear torque limiter completely removed seems to be a death sentence for drivetrain components. Not to mention my driving style, fully utilizing the fact that a dark blue P2 Volvo is virtually invisible to law enforcement. If I drove a red Corvette like I drive it, I'd be locked up by now. :D
16T with a billet cold side and 11 blade hot.

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
16T with a billet cold side and 11 blade hot.
I take the "sensible" -part back. Be prepared. Fortunately the gearbox and angle gear are pretty easy to replace, especially if you've already done that at least a couple of times.

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^How exactly is the gearbox "pretty easy" to replace? (asking for a friend)
It really is. Pop the driveshafts, drop the angle gear and subframe brace, remove the starter, disconnect the shifter and unplug the wiring, support the engine and it's a matter of removing approximately a dozen bolts between the engine and gearbox and dropping it.

Don't ask me how I know this. After you've done it a couple of times you realize it really isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
AW55 is a bit more complex, like the subframe needs to be fully dropped (unless you have a lift and can do it how VIDA prescribes), but it is really about 50 bolts or so.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts