SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving up a winding road the other day and I got a message that my traction control needed to be serviced. Stopped, turned the car off and the message went away.

Fast forward a few weeks...and now I have some unbelievable torque steer when I step on it. At first glance throught the searches, I see nothing but angle gear replacement, but there is also mention of the halidex controller.

Is there a way to tell which it is? How much am I looking at for an angle gear replacement? Which fuse is the Halidex?

Help is much appreciated...

Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Check the fuse #14 in the rear fuse panel. Mine happens once in a while.

·
Registered
284 Posts
With the car on the ground, try and turn the driveshaft that runs to the back wheels. If it turns with all 4 wheels on the ground (and the car not moving), you have an angle gear or collar gear problem. The other test is to jack up one of the front wheels with the other three on the ground, and spin the elevated wheel. That driveshaft should turn. If it doesn't, same deal. If you pass both of these tests, then I'd suspect its a Haldex issue...either the DEM is fried...or there's a mechanical issue with the Haldex clutch system. My understanding is that the former is much more likely. Probably worth familiarizing yourself with.

The collar gear is a relatively cheap part and requires some labor...the angle gear is a relatively expensive part and requires most of the same labor. In the former case, you're probably looking at $500~ parts and labor to fix...less if you've got time and willpower to DIY. In the latter, you're probably talking about more like $2k...as the angle gear isn't so wallet friendly. These numbers are majorly off the top of my head though, so since your experience will vary, it'd be worth searching and learning about. At the very least its a topic every R owner should understand.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I seem to have a similar problem, my AWD doesn't always kick in, neither does the traction control.
Sometimes get a 'chassis settings temporarily off' and 'traction control something or other' message once and awhile and it goes off after I restart the car twice.

I agree that the only way to diagnose is to use VIDA or go to the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts