SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused.
Does my 06 XC90 have a Haldex and an angle gear?

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have front wheel drive you have none of them. If you have all wheel drive you have both. Angle gear is bolted to the transmission and is what spins the drive shaft. The haldex is connected at the other end of that drive shaft and connects to the rear differential.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have front wheel drive you have none of them. If you have all wheel drive you have both. Angle gear is bolted to the transmission and is what spins the drive shaft. The haldex is connected at the other end of that drive shaft and connects to the rear differential.
I have all wheel drive.

The Haldex is like a transfercase?

I understand were the angle gear is.

So the haldex is in the area were the transfercase would be like a 4x4 vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have all wheel drive.

The Haldex is like a transfercase?

I understand were the angle gear is.

So the haldex is in the area were the transfercase would be like a 4x4 vehicle.

Not really. A transfer case is usually only used on longitudinal mounted engines and is mounted to the back of the transmission. So it is more like the angle gear in a way.

In the simplest form all a haldex does is connect and disconnect the rear wheels from the drive shaft. The xc90 is FWD biasd vehicle. meaning the most of the time the rear wheels are not receiving any power from the engine. When the car detects a difference in speed in the front wheels vs the rear wheels (traction loss) the haldex engages the drive shaft and the rear wheels receive power. This is the basic principal anyways.

Here is a picture of the xc90 system (all wheel drive clutch = haldex)

here is a typical 4wd setup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts