SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Replace angle gear fluid and/or differential fluid at 100K miles?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have 98K miles on the clock, V8 07 (low miles, mostly suburbia driving) - original owner

In talking to my stealership, they said they do not recommend replacing the angle gear fluid or differential fluid.

Are they wrong, seems like it from everyone on here.

They did agree that it would be good to replace the belt tensioner and associated parts.

I did have a bad AOC pump, so the Haldex fluid was changed then (and filter) with the pump.

I plan on a drain a refill of the tranny at the same time (it was once at 50K power flushed, not looking to do the same now)

All other fluids/maintenance issues have been taken care of, except radiator hoses (do those still need replacing like years ago?)

This is the oldest, highest mileage vehicle I have ever owned.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
511 Posts
We have 98K miles on the clock, V8 07 (low miles, mostly suburbia driving) - original owner

In talking to my stealership, they said they do not recommend replacing the angle gear fluid or differential fluid.

Are they wrong, seems like it from everyone on here.

They did agree that it would be good to replace the belt tensioner and associated parts.

I did have a bad AOC pump, so the Haldex fluid was changed then (and filter) with the pump.

I plan on a drain a refill of the tranny at the same time (it was once at 50K power flushed, not looking to do the same now)

All other fluids/maintenance issues have been taken care of, except radiator hoses (do those still need replacing like years ago?)

This is the oldest, highest mileage vehicle I have ever owned.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I did both myself after my XC90's "care free maintenance" program ended. There's a lot of debate around the definition of "lifetime". The general theory is that the fluid will last the lifetime of the vehicle (20 years, xxx miles) and is designed with enough tolerance to work over that "lifetime".

When I changed my fluids at 130k km, the angle gear was dark, the rear diff was clean.
Here's some interesting reading from an indy mechanic: http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar...over-differential-problem-noise-and-solution/

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Change regularly bevel gear and rear diff. oil and sleep tight.
At least every 40.000 km. I change oil as only in Sweden exist
one dummy department saying: life time oil. They kick this team away. :)
NASA will purchase this oil at once. :) Change all possible oils.

·
Registered
237 Posts
they do sell angle gear and diffs just saying! change the fluid. Unless you aren't able to yourself and the cost of getting it changed is like 1/2 the cost of getting the thing replaced then "I" might consider leaving it alone.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am somewhat concerned about the compatibility of fluids with what comes out to what goes in. By using the suction hose method of draining one can not be sure of getting it all out. Should it be done a couple of times with a driving interval between? And what is the correct fluid? 85-90 gear oil, conventional or synthetic?

·
Registered
550 Posts
With regards to the transmission I think Volvo is wrong in not recommending a fluid change interval, especially for the ones with the early valve body. I will do a drain and fill every second engine oil change and the fluid has gone from black to red. I'd like to get every last mile out of it before that valve body goes and clean fluid will certainly help. Other car manufacturers apparently recommend fluid changes for that brand of transmission, so why not Volvo?

As for the angle gear and differential I don't know if it is so important. In the old days of rear differentials I don't think many people ever changed the oil. But then again they had normal size pinion bearings that were not prone to failure.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Remember, a dealership's primary purpose is to:
(a) Sell expensive financing packages.
(b) Sell vehicles.
(c) Sell expensive parts and service.

They have no vested interest in selling a relatively cheap service that would push back the failure of very expensive part and labor bill, or which could lead to the opportunity to sell you another vehicle.

That said, there is no such thing as lifetime fluid. I repeat, NO SUCH THING AS LIFETIME FLUID.
When they say "lifetime" what they mean is as long as the tranny / diff / haldex doesn't blow up. If any of these fail, well, its life has expired. Therefore the fluid did indeed last the lifetime of the component.

Replace both the AOC & Differential fluid. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,357 Posts
I am somewhat concerned about the compatibility of fluids with what comes out to what goes in. By using the suction hose method of draining one can not be sure of getting it all out. Should it be done a couple of times with a driving interval between? And what is the correct fluid? 85-90 gear oil, conventional or synthetic?
Conventional and synthetic are compatible for both the angle gear and rear diff. 75W-90 synthetic will work very well as a replacement. If you are worried about the left over fluid in a vacuum removal, once you remove the old fluid, add a little new fluid to dilute what is left inside, then re-vacuum. Fill with new 75W-90 synthetic and use new washers for the plugs.

The synthetic gear oils from Mobil, Valvoline, Red Line, Royal Purple, Motul, LubriMoly, etc. are all of better quality and protection than the original conventional fluid.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I work worldwide and saw so many cars in my life and small trucks SUV ect. Lets say one example:
Toyota rear differential have always tap for filling oil and tap for releasing old oil on differential.
I really dont understand why Volvo designers didn't made so simple 1 hole 1 wingdings and one tap?
And if Toyota Car corporation made such a thing on over 50 years old cars that I spot in Africa in
middle of Jungle still going well bcs they change regular oil. Its totally out of logic that you dont need
to change oil. Oil is for what? To cool down high temperature of working gears and bearings? Yes? Yes.
Oil is for lubricate parts touching each other to avoid what? Wearing. Yes? Yes.
Of course all material in this planet wear by time and need some liquid to take this...ect ect...
Yes VCC made huge mistake prescribing Life time oil. BS.

And tell me why not 1 of 7 friends owner of xc70/90 that I know in person didnt made
over 150k km listening Volvo service and they didnt wanted to listen me to change bevel gear
oil and transmission ATF oil regularly. All broken. All. Bevel gear seal leaking oil is factory
cheating we know this very well. And gypsy business from Volvo (exchange parts) they never install you a
brand new bevel gear or transmission but factory rebuild old one NOT YOUR but from another
naive believer to cheating ( life time oil no need to change.)

My have now 312.500 km and still very good. ATF 30.000 km change Bevel gear every 40.000 km and rear diff. every 40.000 km

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think it's a bit of a vicious cycle. First of all, lubrication technology, even petroleum based products, has improved significantly. So, if you figure that, 30 years ago, the average life of a differential was, say, 100K miles, today's lubes can easily last that long, so can be called "lifetime". So, then, if you use modern lubes, all of a sudden, the life of the differential can be extended to 150K or 200K if you change the oil a couple of times. So what was once "lifetime" is now life extending...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I think it's a bit of a vicious cycle. First of all, lubrication technology, even petroleum based products, has improved significantly. So, if you figure that, 30 years ago, the average life of a differential was, say, 100K miles, today's lubes can easily last that long, so can be called "lifetime". So, then, if you use modern lubes, all of a sudden, the life of the differential can be extended to 150K or 200K if you change the oil a couple of times. So what was once "lifetime" is now life extending...
That's the proper nomenclature and term the manufacturers should be using - extended life - not lifetime.

Lifetime is absurd and a misnomer, if not deceitful. I'm not point the finger at only Volvo either. There are an abundant number of manufacturers of vehicles and vehicle fluids who play this semantics game.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yeah, because at the dealership... Sorry, "stealership" (so creative), we ignore factory service intervals in favor of message board polls.
Stealerships gave themselves that title though.
While I respect that they're overhead is often higher than an independent shop.
One would think with all their volume economy of scale, pricing power, direct relationship with the manufacturers and through this, a OEM parts supply chain, and access to the best of diagnostics coming directly from the factory and factory's engineers, they would always have the best price - if not be very price competitive. And yet that's hardly the case. They're almost always more expensive by a substantial, headscratching order of magnitude.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Dealer techs make more. Parts cost more. So yes, the cost to pay a factory trained Expert tech to install Volvo parts is going to be more than to pay an indy shop to put on Napa parts.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
June 1, 2015- Volvo launched the Lifetime Parts & Labor Warranty. This warranty is available to any retail customer that purchases an eligible part and has it installed at an authorized Volvo dealer. Pay for a repair once and never pay for it again.

One reason to leverage having a dealer do your work.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Parts cost more.
Why? Surely Volvo is the biggest buyer of Volvo parts. Seems they'd be able to command the best price.

Funny that I was able to buy genuine Volvo control arms from FCP for significantly less than my repair shop could get the same parts from the dealer... Oh, and the dealer wanted a core charge, so you know what they're doing...

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Yeah, they are sending the cores back to Volvo. Big deal.

There was a time when there wasn't a core on control arms. Perhaps FCP bought their stock during that time. Or perhaps your repair shop was buying them from the dealer at wholesale prices and marking them up. That's part of how shops make money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts