SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking through old threads on angle gear issue (thankfully i bookmarked them b/c dang search still seems to be down) I think my angle gear is leaking oil (have ~13K miles on my '05 S60r). I noticed it a few days ago, a few spots of oil on my garage floor between the front tires. Car's going in on in a couple days to check it out and thx to this forum gonna have the guy check the axle spline as well (also decided to change dealers for service after the dealership i bought the car from had no fing idea about what i was talking about and then when i mentioned that i saw some of it online, the reaction i got was kinda like
to trust online info). Wanted to see if a faint burning smell - not very strong but detectable when the windows are down - is out of the ordinary when driving the car at higher RPMs (say 4K and above) - and possibility of it being related to the angle gear leaking oil. On a side note - i've been trying to find any threads about having service change key fob lock/unlock to one click and light flash on lock/unlock (original dealer said it would be $140 per change but he had no clue, new service guy is telling me more like $30 per change - another reason i'm making the switch, new place def seems much more knowledgeable). I'll post what I find out on the angle gear (or any other issue) and hopefully in the not too distant future i will post a few pics of my R.

-Thes

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: Angle Gear & faint burning smell at high RPM (Thesaurrex)

30 bucks per change is a great price. Jump on it. Also, you could tell them about your experience with the other dealer, and maybe they would do this at no charge. To keep you coming back.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Angle Gear & faint burning smell at high RPM (stevectsai)

Quote, originally posted by stevectsai »
I got that burning smell after spirited driving too. Maybe it's the turbo?

Same here. At first I thought it was clutch but it's not.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I picked up my R yesterday after taking it in for scheduled 15K service and complaining of oil spots between the front tyres. They chnaged the angle gear under warrantee and listed "#1161648 Transmission" - I've no idea what that is or why it was listed. I have no recollection of burning smells - I live in the northeast and haven't had the opportunity to open the window much!

·
Banned
3,517 Posts

the angle-gear-oil is too thick to reach the exhaustpiping....the smelling burn MUST come from something else.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Angle Gear & faint burning smell at high RPM (JARMO)

Quote, originally posted by JARMO »
the angle-gear-oil is too thick to reach the exhaustpiping....
That is not correct.
Angle gear oil can be propelled through the vent at the top of the angle gear under high temp and stress conditions. The air flow under tha car splatters the fluid onto the exhaust. Light smoke can result. The odor is distinct. Happens every time I push the car.
The discharge is often too slight to produce a drip on the driveway - most is splatered and evaporated.
On the track - extreme temp and stress - I have had a discharge under the car of about 3" diameter. The distribution of fluid observed all over the front portion of the undercarriage more than doubles the amount evidenced on the ground.
No real discharge problem after switching to Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil.
http://www.redlineoil.com/prod...ID=20

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update - dealer originally replaced only seals, drove car home and found more oil leaking than before - dealer has now ordered replacement angle gear (part # 8603809) so hopefully that will take care of the problem. Dealer updated software for lock/unlock w/1 click but tells me that headlamp flash on lock/unlock is not possible w/bi-xenon headlamps. Anyone have bi-xenon headlamps w/this option? Will update again when i get my R back home.

-thes

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Re: (Thesaurrex)

Quote, originally posted by Thesaurrex »
Quick update - dealer originally replaced only seals, drove car home and found more oil leaking than before - dealer has now ordered replacement angle gear (part # 8603809) so hopefully that will take care of the problem. Dealer updated software for lock/unlock w/1 click but tells me that headlamp flash on lock/unlock is not possible w/bi-xenon headlamps. Anyone have bi-xenon headlamps w/this option? Will update again when i get my R back home.

-thes

do you think they are replacing the whole angle gear apparatus, or just the vent for it which has a known TNN for seepage/leakage? I recently had the latter done on mine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (kenschel)

Final Update (hopefully) - Dealer replaced whole angle gear - i was able to check out the underside of my car and actually see what they did. Originally (as per volvo's bulletin supposedly) they replaced the vent/valve and then when i went back with continued leakage they replaced the whole thing (still under warranty thankfully). Even though it was under warranty, I can't say how great this forum is - actually this forum is the reason i bought the R so my thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have an S60AWD, not the R, and I just had my angle gear replaced at 14.3K miles because it was leaking. I posted this in the 2001 and newer forum, but just wanted to let the R owners know that the problem is not unique to them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts