SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sleeve sheared on Friday so I took the car to the dealer to fix it Under Warranty. They've had it since Friday morning and I just got a call saying that they've been unable to pull it out and that the warranty won't cover the extra time they're going to need to pull it so they now want to charge me additional time to pull it. I told them to go fly a kite. A warranty is for the work and it's not my issue how long it takes you. They're sitting on the car now. Anyone ever have an issue like this with their dealer not fixing something under warranty without trying to charge you because it's taking them too long?:mad:

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Depends on what kind of warranty it is
Sometimes when this happens it needs a new transmission!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's completely covered under my insurance service coverage plan. The issue is that the plan says this should take 3 hours to do and the dealer hasn't even been able to pull the sleeve out yet. Therefore, they're being told they won't be reimbursed for their time and they now want me to pay for additional time to remove it. Jim, should it take any competent dealer longer than 3 hours to remove that sleeve, even with rust/corrosion, etc.?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
From my experience, they shouldn't be charging extra regardless. Is this the only Volvo dealership in the area?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the closest. There is another one but if I tell these guys to get bent and take my car to the other dealer my fear is that if they try to get it covered under my agreement they'll be told this issue has already been covered and that they won't cover it at all.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would get it all in writing from your volvo dealer then call volvo corporate up and ask for the areas district representative.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Who is the extended warranty by?
The extended warranty companies are stinkers like dental insurers. Your AG removal is over "usual and customary" or the EW equivalent and they usually will not pay anything but the standard mfr's time guide amounts. If you call the EW company and get in the fray as the customer it sometimes applies the pressure needed.

Did they give many details? Is the RH axle not coming out or the axle is out already but AG will not come away from trans?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
If you're talking Volvo extended warranty, then they'll have to cover it. If it's third party, there's probably limits on what they'll cover.

If it's the latter, it's not really the dealer screwing you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who is the extended warranty by?
The extended warranty companies are stinkers like dental insurers. Your AG removal is over "usual and customary" or the EW equivalent and they usually will not pay anything but the standard mfr's time guide amounts. If you call the EW company and get in the fray as the customer it sometimes applies the pressure needed.

Did they give many details? Is the RH axle not coming out or the axle is out already but AG will not come away from trans?

It's Nissan Quality Guard. The issue isn't that they won't cover it. Nissan will cover it but they are saying they'll pay for 3 hours labor to remove the part and Volvo of Lisle is saying they haven't been able to budge it in 3 hours and that I'll have to pay for 2 more hours so they can keep trying. They won't guarantee they can do it in 2 more hours so it's a blank check. The service manager isn't in today so I'll have to wait until the morning to have a "chat" with him. I already called the EW company and got nowhere with them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
do they have the proper puller? ext warranty company never pay labor for the sleeve they say its part of angle gear r&r which its not. u should call ur warranty company and tell them what the situation is.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I trained techs for a living for a long time. The warranty time studies do not use cars in the rust belt. They do not drill out broken bolts and add time for torch use. The angle gear sleeve can get a wear ring and the splines get all ripped up and it makes removing the AG a much longer task to accomplish. I was at a dealer once and suggested they put a couple of 2mm body shims (U washers) and tighten bolts up and go drive it. They went to a large empty parking lot and did circles and when it popped and shuddered a few times he came back and it slid off. a HUGE amount of rust powder with some fresh shavings came fell out. That car had to have a trans as the final drive splines were gone. They had to use puller to get collar off the trans and a new collar was really loose on the final drive splines once they clean it up and prepped for re-assembly. This was on a mid 2000's XC70 in Texas. This car had no rusty fasteners, only a dry collar.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I trained techs for a living for a long time. The warranty time studies do not use cars in the rust belt. They do not drill out broken bolts and add time for torch use. The angle gear sleeve can get a wear ring and the splines get all ripped up and it makes removing the AG a much longer task to accomplish. I was at a dealer once and suggested they put a couple of 2mm body shims (U washers) and tighten bolts up and go drive it. They went to a large empty parking lot and did circles and when it popped and shuddered a few times he came back and it slid off. a HUGE amount of rust powder with some fresh shavings came fell out. That car had to have a trans as the final drive splines were gone. They had to use puller to get collar off the trans and a new collar was really loose on the final drive splines once they clean it up and prepped for re-assembly. This was on a mid 2000's XC70 in Texas. This car had no rusty fasteners, only a dry collar.
VOL is saying that it's rusted on as well and that's what the issue is and why they're struggling to get it off. Can't believe they've never seen rusted parts on the underside of a car here before.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
It's Nissan Quality Guard. The issue isn't that they won't cover it. Nissan will cover it but they are saying they'll pay for 3 hours labor to remove the part and Volvo of Lisle is saying they haven't been able to budge it in 3 hours and that I'll have to pay for 2 more hours so they can keep trying. They won't guarantee they can do it in 2 more hours so it's a blank check. The service manager isn't in today so I'll have to wait until the morning to have a "chat" with him. I already called the EW company and got nowhere with them.
Ask your warranty company if they will allow you to take it to another dealer; problem is the dealer you're at will still charge your warranty company, so its a hit or miss if they'll allow you to take it somewhere else.

Keep us posted but you need to get with your warranty to see how much further they'll cover than get with VCNA and ask them if they can assist with the issue.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Wow.

Tell them to get the torches out, cut two holes in the sleeve. Insert appropriately sized impact socket inside sleeve so that it rests against transmission. This will give the puller has something to push against. Insert puller into two holes you've cut and it'll be out in minutes. Done this many times.

here is the puller I'm referencing. Somebody in the shop should have one...
http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-...oglebase_18u&gclid=CInb-YS98rICFQSxnQodPAwAOQ

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Volvo of Lisle. I will never go back there again after this. Ever.
Dang. My car has only been to Napleton in Schererville; figured I'd go to Lisle from now on since I moved. Looks like I need to find a different plan now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is so weird, this JUST happened to me last week at Volvo of Lisle and with the Nissan Quality Guard Supreme plan. Its for the same issue, Collar sleeve and Angel Gear thats stripped out. Quality Guard were complete aholes and i got charged nearly 600 from Lisle to fix nothing at all. Please PM me so we can come up with a plan for this together. I was beside myself and yelled and screamed at Quality Guard and got nowhere and have a broken R :/ The warranty guy who was a complete hick told me that my car must have been under water and that there was some rust on the gear. I had no words for the guy as they all look the same when broken and my car was for sure not a flood car!!! Please PM me and we can figure this out together, quality guard is a bunch of BS and its not cheap!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is so weird, this JUST happened to me last week at Volvo of Lisle and with the Nissan Quality Guard Supreme plan. Its for the same issue, Collar sleeve and Angel Gear thats stripped out. Quality Guard were complete aholes and i got charged nearly 600 from Lisle to fix nothing at all. Please PM me so we can come up with a plan for this together. I was beside myself and yelled and screamed at Quality Guard and got nowhere and have a broken R :/ The warranty guy who was a complete hick told me that my car must have been under water and that there was some rust on the gear. I had no words for the guy as they all look the same when broken and my car was for sure not a flood car!!! Please PM me and we can figure this out together, quality guard is a bunch of BS and its not cheap!!
Just sent you a PM

1 - 20 of 36 Posts