SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking into an auto to manual swap. Have a 2000 v70 xc. As far as I have read I can swap to a M56H or an M66. Are there any compatibility issues with my angle gear to various trannies?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
So an M66 from an S60R or V70R will be AWD. An M66 from a C30 will only be FWD. The M56 is also a FWD only transmission. The M58 is an AWD transmission that is essentially an M56 (internally) with splines on the diff carrier for the collar that connects to the angle gear, with an appropriate output hole and mounting bosses for the angle gear. The M58 never came stateside unfortunately. If you are in Canada, Europe or Australia you may be able to find one in a junk yard. In America expect to pay a premium to get one, unless you are proficient at machining and welding. The M66 may be the easiest. You have to adapt the mount on the transmission one way or another, but it's been done before. Some angle gears are different sizes so the passenger side axle may be different as well as driveshaft length. I think, but I do not know, that the angle gear splines are the same and the mounting bolt pattern since I've never read anything about them being different. So you'd need the collar sleeve that fits the transmission side. Also, I do not know if there are different gear ratios of angle gears between the different year of models. The important thing it to get one that has the same ratio as the rear end in the car. Once again I have not read anyone mentioning that they are different, but a P3 angle gear from an XC90 may be quite different than a P80 one.

If you haven't read this, read this: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?163864-98-00-AWD-Component-Parts-Listings.

Another good read: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/158196-2000-v70r-motor-and-manual-swap-options-and-info/?page=6

You may have read that, but others may see this and read it too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks. I have seen a 2000 V70 R with an M66 in it. Reading everything I can find. Most write ups don't discuss angle gears and final drive ratios. The parts write up by Hussain appears to show that I have the correct Half shafts. The US V70 XC in 2000 still used the 50-42 4 speed. The R model used a 5 speed. The I got a transmission locator that will find the M58 ( canada). M66's are available too. Trying to cross all my T's and dot my I's before buying something.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
2000 V70XC angle gear is a one off... It's shorter. Need the angle gear and axles for the transmission. I'd use an M66 and angle gear.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
2000 V70XC angle gear is a one off... It's shorter. Need the angle gear and axles for the transmission. I'd use an M66 and angle gear.
You sure about that? I don't think you can use an angle gear from a P2 in the P80. The packaging is wrong. Sure the 2000 angle gear is packaged a bit differently than the the two earlier versions but the OP should not have to change what is in his car to use the M66.

The axle information can be had from the pinned thread in this forum to figure out which axles are needed but the angle gear itself should not need to be changed to use either an M58 or an M66.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts