SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, to everyone that has contributed to Swedespeed: I've been able to take care of _every_ issue on my R so far thanks to all the posts and collective knowledge here. My car was bone-stock when I picked it up in August 2010 but I've been busy changing that over the past year thanks to all the info I've found. I wouldn't have known how to properly diagnose my AWD failure nor would I have had any chance at fixing it myself without all the posts that can be found with a good searching. Many thanks!

My first contribution back to y'all is a set of pics and vids taken from when I replaced my collar sleeve about a month ago. It's not really a full writeup (there are lots of others on here) but more of a highlight reel from my experience doing it. I also decided to do a full fluid change while I was working on this since I had just passed 60k and would have to replace some transmission and angle gear fluid anyway to replace the collar. You should have both fluids on hand before you dig in to this. Here is the thread I used for reference (which I've just bumped with the latest part numbers)

Complete Fluid Change How-To

Other useful SS threads / information on this procedure (aka read these before you think about doing this):

Changing out my collar sleeve
loud clunk lost AWD
Never replace another AWD collar/sleeve...EVER again!
Replacing the Angle Gear - Getting Ready - Please Share Advice, Tips, Tricks, etc..
Leak between angle gear and trans after shaft reinstall
Angle Gear Housing questions with photos. I believe it is "weeping", but want to confirm

First pic is probably the most useful for anyone out there considering whether or not to DIY. I pieced all the part numbers together from a bunch of threads, from VIDA and from Tasca. Any part number that is called out on the diagram I ordered (note that the "service kit" includes a bunch of the called out parts). One thing that bit me originally is that I didn't realize that 2 and 24 are the same part number and I miscounted and didn't realize I was short one. A quick trip downtown to the local Volvo shop was all it took for me to pick up another one but you may not have that ability so just make sure you pick it up in the first place.

[ Click image to download high res version ]

Didn't get any good pictures of taking out the front right drive shaft. Pretty straightforward but definitely took a helper to hold/push parts of the suspension back to get the driveshaft loose. When removing it, you will definitely get some transmission fluid leakage so make sure you have a pan underneath when you pull it. I also drained my transmission fluid ahead of time to reduce the amount since I knew I was replacing it anyway. Also make sure you are not pulling the drive shaft from the end (near the hub) but from the section closest to the transmission, otherwise it will separate. There are a lot of good howtos for this part on SS, mostly around replacing the lower control arm. Search is your friend.

Here is a of the drive shaft seal furthest from the transmission (closest to the front right wheel). It basically fell apart as I removed the drive shaft. So glad I ordered all new seals!

Fast forward to the angle gear out and ready to be cleaned up.

Collar sleeve as it sits on the transmission output. Getting pretty excited here, knowing that an angle grinder and multi-ton gear puller are going to be coming out soon.

Movie clip of my buddy Joel cutting into the sleeve with the angle grinder. This part took a while since we were working under a car on jackstands and didn't have a lot of room to move. The angle that you had to hold the grinder at to fit it into that space was a bit tricky too and the last thing anybody wanted was to end up with a full-tilt angle grinder in their face.

After cutting grooves deep enough into the collar to get the puller onto it, we hooked it up and quickly broke the first puller. No worries. We started with the 1-ton puller knowing that there was a chance it would break. We were prepared and had two different sets from Harbor Freight so moved on to the 3-ton set. The jaws on the 3-ton set were a little deeper, so we had to get the grinder out again. But just as I started to grind into the existing groove, I saw the collar moving. I rotated it to the other groove, started grinding again and the collar moved again. I think that the quick snap impact of the first puller breaking along with the heat from grinding the grooves into the collar must have helped break it loose, because at that point it came off with very little resistance. Score for us!

If you've ever wondered what a stripped collar sleeve looks like, here you go. This baby was completely smooth, no teeth left whatsoever.

I have no idea how long the AWD was out, but given what this looked like it must have been a while. I would have liked to have swapped out to another angle gear at this point, but couldn't find one with the mileage / price that I was willing to do. I was really surprised that the teeth on the Angle Gear side were still in good shape though. Worst case, next time the AG teeth or sleeve strips I'll go Jan Hargis on it.

Have you ever seen the inside of an Angle Gear? Well now you have. Opened it up to drain the last bit of fluid and to work on replacing all the seals. This is what it looks like behind the "toothed" side that faces the front right wheel.

FYI, my angle gear is now missing a tooth. I managed to pop one off while trying to open it up. Guess it isn't just the collar sleeve itself that's made of soft metal. Thankfully there are a lot of them left for next time.

Once the new seals were in, it was time to put everything back together. Angle gear went in, then prop shaft then drive shaft. Make sure to grease up all the seals as you go. Had everything marked before taking it apart which made it easy to put back together. Definitely take your time and use a buddy to re-install the drive shaft. As others have mentioned, it is very easy to nick the seals out of place which will mean that you'll have to come back and redo something.

After reinstalling the prop shaft and drive shaft, I refilled the angle gear fluid and transmission fluid. Then since I had my MityVac out, I did the Haldex and Rear Diff.

Here's the final test before dropping the car off of jackstands.

Victory! Now I just need to find some time to drive somewhere snowy.

Cheers! :beer:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thanks for sharing. How long did this take you, start to finish? Aside from the duplicate parts, were there any other major hiccups or pitfalls?

·
Registered
283 Posts
you make it almost easy! Good thing my AWD still works :-D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing. How long did this take you, start to finish? Aside from the duplicate parts, were there any other major hiccups or pitfalls?
I budgeted three days (a long weekend) and used all of it, but I was not working on the car the entire time. Had I not had to run downtown for the extra part and if I'd had a better fluid drain/refill setup (MityVac kit had a very small vial, made filling transmission fluid a pain), I think it would have been done in two days without trying too hard. I'll be the first to say that I'm not fast when it comes to this stuff. I usually take a lot of time looking over the whole process, trying to understand things before I tear them apart. Having done it once now, I could see getting it done in a day if I started early in the morning, had a helper and wasn't changing out all of the fluids as well. For most major work I try to schedule a whole weekend (in this case a long weekend since I had it), just in case something goes wrong, and that's worked out well so far.

No other big hiccups. Breaking the tooth off of the angle gear when trying to open it was kind of a bummer. I didn't have the right thickness pry bar to insert to get good leverage so I was basically "chiseling" at it with a screwdriver. Thankfully that's not a deal breaker. The driveshaft was difficult to get in only because you really want to get it lined up correctly without bumping the seals loose. It also needed a few taps with the rubber mallet to settle into the transmission. Make sure you have lots of options for pullers, that's one tip I took from other write-ups that paid off since we did actually break the first one. I had a MAPP torch ready as well if necessary.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great write up! This will be of great use for me this upcoming summer. :)

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
nice job, working awd FTW :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Nice job Noei :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
thank baby jeebus mine broke under warrenty. My dealer gave me a new tranny instead of pulling the sleeve out.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Impressive noeish!

Has this been stickied yet??? It should be especially for that part info at the very start of the thread. I know I'd reference this if I was to attempt the angle gear or collar sleeve myself.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Asking Chris to sticky it now.

****And it's been added to the FAQ.
Thanks Chris :thumbup:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. Now I feel a little pressure to tidy it up a little bit. :)

When I get a chance, I'll post the VIDA screenshots I referenced along with providing links to some of the threads on SS that I found really useful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
anyone know where i can get my angle/collar sleeve replaced in texas? dfw? from reading all your posts i don't think my brother and i will be able to replace it since we don't have some of those tools plus i don't really want to risk damaging something more expensive. oh and obviously i could go to volvo but lets just leave that be option Z

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know, old thread but I am getting ready to do this job and am looking for solid part info (the best option of exactly what I will need to get assuming my angle gear itself is still usable) and for whatever reason I cant get the pic you posted with that info to load. any ideas on finding all of that in one place? There is almost too much info on this job at this point and its making my head spin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts