SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've yet to get a driveshaft for the missing one in my 2000 V70XC. However, I had it on the lift yesterday and turned the output of the angle gear by hand. Just how much backlash should there be? Because it feels like a lot, probably as much as 2mm at the teeth. I pulled and pushed on the flange and it didn't feel like there was any bearing play, at least in the output bearing.

I'd hate to spend $$ on a driveshaft to find I have to replace the angle gear as well.. though I supposed I could rebuild it with new bearings.

TIA

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Don't know if the backlash spec is listed. It would be the same range as the reader diff, though. 2mm / .078" would be excessive, though.

Problem is, unless your remove the AG, you won't know if it's really spline wear at the collar, which is far more likely.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. I saw an 'Angle Gear Service Kit' online that consisted of the splined coupling, a couple of seals, and some hex head screws for about $180. Can the coupling be serviced with the angle gear on the car?

I

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
No, the coupling is between the angle gear and the transmission.

I mean, technically you could leave the angle gear on the car and pull the transmission instead, but I don't think that's what you were asking. Hehe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts