SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm having issues connecting my Pixel 2 XL (running android 11) to my recently purchased MY2017 XC90 Inscription.

When I connect the phone, I get a message that a phone is already connected, asking me if I want to connect the new phone. I click Yes, the screen flicker for a sec and then nothing happens. If I unplugged the phone and plugged the cable back in, I get the same message.

I reviewed the other threads I could find on this forum related to Android issues, and the only thing I found is some really old posts or ones that refer to issues with the USB cable quality causing connection issues.

I already tried 3 different cables, and it didn't make any difference. I use Anker, high-quality cables that work fine in my other car.
The same phone and cables worked just fine on my last Volvo (V90CC 2017) last month without any issues.

The only difference I can think of between my current XC90 and my previous V90CC is that on my XC90, I run the latest software version, and my previous V90CC was running an old one.

Before I take it to the dealer to see if they can troubleshoot the issue, I wanted to check if anyone has any suggestion for what causing my android auto not to work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hello,

I'm having issues connecting my Pixel 2 XL (running android 11) to my recently purchased MY2017 XC90 Inscription.

When I connect the phone, I get a message that a phone is already connected, asking me if I want to connect the new phone. I click Yes, the screen flicker for a sec and then nothing happens. If I unplugged the phone and plugged the cable back in, I get the same message.

I reviewed the other threads I could find on this forum related to Android issues, and the only thing I found is some really old posts or ones that refer to issues with the USB cable quality causing connection issues.

I already tried 3 different cables, and it didn't make any difference. I use Anker, high-quality cables that work fine in my other car.
The same phone and cables worked just fine on my last Volvo (V90CC 2017) last month without any issues.

The only difference I can think of between my current XC90 and my previous V90CC is that on my XC90, I run the latest software version, and my previous V90CC was running an old one.

Before I take it to the dealer to see if they can troubleshoot the issue, I wanted to check if anyone has any suggestion for what causing my android auto not to work?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I've had issues strictly with Apple Car Play with the iPhone 8 and 11 pro. And this is across numerous models and years: 2017/2020/2021 XC90's and numerous loaners. Zero issues with the Android auto.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an Pixel 2XL as well and have issues in my '21 Volvo connecting to Android Auto. If it makes you feel better I also have issues in 2 other cars in my family that are not Volvos so it seems to be more of an Android Auto/My Phone thing than anything else.
I've tried at least 5 different cables to no luck.

My partners Pixel 5 works flawlessly :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Pixel 2XL as well and have issues in my '21 Volvo connecting to Android Auto. If it makes you feel better I also have issues in 2 other cars in my family that are not Volvos so it seems to be more of an Android Auto/My Phone thing than anything else.
I've tried at least 5 different cables to no luck.
My partner's Pixel 5 works flawlessly :(
Are you also running the latest Android version on your phone (ver. 11)?
My phone does work fine on my Chevy Bolt without any issues. Also, my wife's iPhone works just fine with the Volvo.

Did you talk to your dealer about the issue?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are you also running the latest Android version on your phone (ver. 11)?
My phone does work fine on my Chevy Bolt without any issues. Also, my wife's iPhone works just fine with the Volvo.

Did you talk to your dealer about the issue?
I am running the latest version available for my 2XL. I haven't spoken to the dealer but I'm not sure asking him would help.
I know people who do have working 2XLs in their XC90s and I also know someone who has a 4a that isn't working in the hyundai :|

Go figure I guess. It's particularly odd since the OS of this car is Android. They made some recent updates to Android Auto that are annoying...like the icon not appearing in the phone by default anymore since its a "system app"

Anyways, I will let you know if I can figure anything out myself :)

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
The OS of this car is not Android. Only the XC40 P8 gets Android OS for now.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a chance to do some more troubleshooting with my Android Auto, and I was able to get it to connect successfully after completing the following steps:
  1. Uninstall the Android Auto app from my pixel phone.
  2. Restart the phone.
  3. Check and confirm that Android Auto is not present on the phone (this confirms that you really uninstalled the app and not just deleted icon it from your screen).
  4. Open the google play store app and reinstall Android auto.
  5. Check for updates and confirm that you are running the latest version.
    1. Note: for some reason, when I reinstalled my app, it didn't install the latest version, and I had to update it to the latest version.
  6. Make sure the Phone's Bluetooth is not connected to the car.
  7. Connect the phone to the car (use the USB port with the white marking).
  8. The app should lunch on the phone and go through the first time setup (if it's not going through the first time wizard, you may didn't fully uninstall the app from the phone)
  9. If everything works as expected, you should see the android auto windows showing on the Volvo Sensus screen.
I can't guaranty this will solve the issue for everyone, but it worked for me.
If you follow these steps and still have issues, I suggest you try to use a good quality USB Cable (I use Anker Powerline+) and try a different Android phone to see if the issue is with your phone or the car.

Happy holidays!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a chance to do some more troubleshooting with my Android Auto, and I was able to get it to connect successfully after completing the following steps:
  1. Uninstall the Android Auto app from my pixel phone.
You can't uninstall Android Auto from Android ver 11. It's a default system application. You can only revert it to a previous version and then update it again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Go to apps in settings and delete cache and user data, and make sure usb tethering is off, I have pixel 2 and have had to do one or other above after Android auto updates, then it works again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts