SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Android Auto / CarPlay retrofit - prior to 2015.5 model years

175K views 1K replies 102 participants last post by  themaxx727 
#1 ·
I know a few have installed an Android Auto / Carplay capable retrofit to the 2015.5 and on vehicles, but has anyone installed one in an earlier model year? Talking 2011 through early 2015?

I had a rental a few days last week and it came with Android Auto, being able to just plug my phone in and respond to messages via voice, use Google maps etc. reminded me how much I miss having it as an option. Started looking at what is available on aliexpress, but my concern is that without any real knowledge of anyone using one of those units, how reliable are they, I don't want to go spending $400+ on something that ends up being junk.

Here are a few I have come across...

With that one though, there is no split for early 2015 and late 2015. They have options for 2011 - 2014 and 2015 - 2017, as we all know, the 2015.5 is different, so I would assume a 2014 would work, but it's an expensive and possibly frustrating gamble if you have to return the unit.

This second one looks decent, but $720, is it worth the premium over the one above:

It specifically says it works with all factory functions though, including the back up cam.

Finally, this one is available but something about it looks off.

There are a ton of others on there as well, problem is knowing which are reliable and which are garbage.

Anyone installed one? How did it go? Which did you use?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would be interested in Carplay as well. However none of these look ideal to me. These all look the same except for maybe the past one and they require a GPS antenna for some reason. And I don't think these use the OEM backup camera. It looks like there's an option to buy theirs.

I would want a system that adds on to the existing. Using all OEM equipment, mics, antennas, cameras ect. Then what happens when you change the temperature or seat heaters, do you see that screen overlay on the Carplay screen?

I am curious if anyone has added Carplay to an early MY.

Reactions: Nikson420
#3 ·
Using all OEM equipment, mics, antennas, cameras ect. Then what happens when you change the temperature or seat heaters, do you see that screen overlay on the Carplay screen?
Yep, that's my concern with some of these, I want to still use the OEM mic and back up camera, but it's a gamble on an earlier one. The look of the unit is not my favorite, but the added functionality I could get over it.

From the ones I have seen, then you get an overlay on the CarPlay / AA screen of the climate controls.

#4 ·
If you check out the other thread on the newer ones, I’m pretty sure Chris@Swedespeed installed one like this in his car. He said it works well. Can’t remember the year off the top of my head though.

#6 ·
If you check out the other thread on the newer ones, I'm pretty sure Chris@Swedespeed installed one like this in his car. He said it works well. Can't remember the year off the top of my head though.
I think his car is a later 2015 though, one of these days I'm going to ambush him at Dulles cars and coffee to take a look at it, especially if it is an early 2015.

#8 ·
Here's one that looks plug and play but I think needs a touch screen?

Does anyone here have experiance with this one?

#9 ·
Here's one that looks plug and play but I think needs a touch screen?

Does anyone here have experiance with this one?
I'm not sure about this company. Their website seems OK, but when I tried to contact them I couldn't get a response.

#13 ·
So I ordered this one last week from AliExpress after speaking with them (great communication) and comparing it to the same exact unit from Intergrated Automotive UK unit which was double the price after price conversion. The both have the same exact setup, used the same exact installation PDF (literally same photos) and I just figured I'll try it out and see how it goes. If all else fails they said they would fully refund me if I wasn't happy. The unit is both Wireless for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Note that Sensus systems prior to 2015.5 will require you to remove the screen to install a PCB Chipboard to make this all work; apparently the 2015.5-up models already have this and not needed for those installs.

Wireless Apple Carplay Car AI Box Android Auto Module For Volvo XC60 XC70 XC90 S60 S80 S90 V60 V70 V40 Mirror Link Decoder|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

#14 ·
This one has the wrong connector for 15.5 and up head-units.

I did buy one of the similar units that are for the internet/speak button versions… it worked great for four days then froze up towards the end of a four hour drive… next time I started up the center screen stayed blank and the DIM threw CTA and BLIS errors… removed the unit and all returned to normal thank goodness… did try reinstalling it a couple of weeks later same thing happened, so removed it again and consigned to the junk drawer in my garage. Hope you have better luck with yours.

Reactions: rockstarjake79
#18 ·
The one I posted a link for isn't for 2015.5-2018, it's for the older SENSUS system. Hopefully I am lucky and have no issues. The unit I purchased is the same used by a UK company who has great reviews. Did your unit not come with a return policy?

#22 ·
#23 ·
Interestingly, the AliExpress order page has some instructions that don't show anything about a PCB needing to be added, but we'll see in a couple weeks. I'll try to record a video, or at least take pictures, of the installation and set up process.

I'm really hopeful the unit works well, was driving on a road the other day and even with the latest map update my V60 thought I was driving through a field. Will be really nice to have Google Maps, traffic data, being able to respond to messages by voice etc.

#25 ·
Has the seller sent you a message to contact him on WhatsApp? Once you talk to them they'll send you the installation instructions and it does have the PCB needing to be added. I had to send them photos of my MY CAR menu and VIN chassis sticker to make sure they send the correct unit.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I like this approach, it is far more elegant than the somewhat chintzy looking aftermarket screen and bezel combinations we've seen here on the forum before.

If you two have success with these, I am next on the ordering list. I've been itching for a new project lately.

#26 · (Edited)
I like this approach, it is far more elegant than the somewhat chintzy looking aftermarket screen and bezel combinations we've seen here on the forum before.
The look of the aftermarket screens is what put me off, I get it is a larger screen, but it just looks slightly off due to the way it sits flush instead of recessed into the dash.

Has the seller sent you a message to contact him on WhatsApp? Once you talk to them they'll send you the installation instructions and it does have the PCB needing to be added. I had to send them photos of my MY CAR menu and VIN chassis sticker to make sure they send the correct unit.
Interesting, I'll shoot them a message as I had been messaging via AliExpress and sent them a picture of the Media menu and the center console, but nothing about the MY CAR or VIN. Messaged them just now and sent over the MY CAR menu and VIN sticker from the window, they said I do need the PCB as well. Thanks for pointing that out, would have sucked to receive the unit and then have to return it and wait again.

#29 ·
I have a '15 (not 15.5) and will be interested to see how this pans out. I'm curious - what happens to the standard settings (climate control, car settings, etc.)? Are those retained?

#30 ·
Someone on the Facebook group just did the Intergrated Automotive UK unit (the crazy expensive unit) and he had a few issues on his 2013: 1. Was static noise at RPM (sounds like a grounding issue), 2. End Call button on the OEM controls wasn't working, 3. Climate Controls he had to back out of the CarPlay/AA display to use, 4. He didn't like it on a non-Touchscreen needing to scroll around the screen (honestly its just like the new Mazda's not having touchscreen). The AliExpress vendor I purchased from said there were lots of different harnesses and units for different years and options; they made me even send them a picture of my MY CAR menu and VIN to verify the right unit was being sent to me. Not sure how iA-UK is handling their differences between model years and options.

#31 ·
I have placed an order as well. Now I will have both the unit for the 2015.5+ and this one so I will be able to compare and contrast once I get it and install it.

BTW, they messaged me and had me place the order using this link: 283.61US $ 21% OFF|Wireless Apple Carplay Android Auto Module Car AI Box For Volvo XC60 XC70 S60 S80 V60 V70 V40 (2011 2019) Mirror Link Decoder| | - AliExpress

It doesn't have an expiring deal like the other one does as far as I can tell so it will remain less expensive I think.

#35 ·
My kit arrived today, I already pulled apart the dash and I will tackle this later this evening when the kids go to bed. What a pain though to remove the center console trim piece, the wire harness for the Climate controls are secured with a pressure clip and with big hands and little wiggle room were tough to release but I was able to safely detach them.

Reactions: abcdefghii
#36 ·
So I installed everything, the screen was a bit difficult to pull apart, but just work at it slowly and be patient and it'll budge. So far everything seems to be working fine. I had an issue with the Backup Camera not working and the Seller messaged me back in like 5min with the fix. I needed to set the camera setting to OE and I was good to go. When I put it in reverse I was just getting lines but no picture. I had no static issues on the screen when I took the car around the block, calls worked fine (to answer calls though you need to press the Talk/Speech button on the steering wheel), music played fine through Spotify and Google Maps was working.

The only issue I ran into was the parking sensors won't show the radar screen when in Drive if you are parking; they do show on the reverse camera picture though. Seller said it's a limitation that they were unable to show the radar on the screen unless you have a front camera. You can hear the sensors though while in CarPlay/AA. It's something that I can say is livable, because all you have to do is just hold the EXIT button for a few seconds to back out to normal Sensus screen and there they are showing on the screen. Over the next couple of days I'll test it out some more to see if any other issues arise. I know Friday I'll be taking a decent drive on the highway so we'll see how it goes.

#45 ·
That install actually doesn't look too bad. Question to those who have installed. It looks like Carplay uses the Aux input. So does that mean you can't listen to the radio with Carplay active?

#46 ·
That install actually doesn't look too bad. Question to those who have installed. It looks like Carplay uses the Aux input. So does that mean you can't listen to the radio with Carplay active?
You can absolutely still use the Radio over CarPlay if you want. Only problem is if you have CarPlay up on the screen you won't be able to change the stations. You'll just have to back out of CarPlay to do it. The unit use AUX input to run CarPlay/AA so if you switch the MEDIA source to something else then it won't engage when you start the vehicle. I fully recommend deleting your phone from the Volvo Bluetooth Phone Menu so you don't have conflicts with the new units BT signal.

#48 ·
So I guess since I'm content streaming my music over the current BT connection, this wouldn't really be much of an improvement for me, right?

#51 ·
It's a huge improvement over BT on what the new capabilities are with being able to use up-to-date maps from either Google, Apple or Waze, you now can scroll through the Spotify app to find music instead of having to touch your phone to select a playlist or song. You can also use Siri or Google Assistant to do tasks.

#49 ·
It depends, you'd still be able to stream but would instead use the app on the unit itself, so would get to see album art etc. It still streams from your phone, but you would be connected to the AA/CarPlay BT and stream through that instead of the Sensus unit.

Additionally, you get the added benefit of massively improved maps + traffic, you can likely install Waze, the ability to reply to messages via voice. There may even be a way to use an OBD2 monitor and Torque or the Apple equivalent (I'm not sure on this one though, depends on the bluetooth capability of the unit).

So, it depends.

#54 ·
Today I had a lot of seat time with using the unit. It was such a treat to be able to get text message read aloud and be able to see live traffic on Google Maps. The only quirks that I came across was that the EXIT button on the center console wouldn't always work to jump out of the system or jump down to the bottom toolbar in Android Auto (AA). Now I don't know if that's a quirk of AA or the system; the EXIT button did work perfectly fine the steering wheel. The EXIT button on the center console did work in SENSUS menus once I backed out so its something to do with AA or the units software. The other issue I had was Google Maps couldn't find my location a few times, but I've had this issue in my 2019 Volvo XC60 with AA; just unlocking the phone fixes the issue. I'm going to blame that issue on Google as AA can be glitchy. I also took the time to go under the carpet and tape up the wires so they don't rattle or touch anything while tucked away. I took a foam insulation pad and put it under the unit box. The unit box gets warm and it was just laying on the cars wires under the rug; I wanted to give a buffer to be safe.

I noticed in the Units Settings that you can also choose not to boot the System up at each startup if its something that you may not want connecting every time. I'm curious if there will be any issues once Android 12 releases? The seller did say the unit will be upgradeable for software. I'm currently running Android 11 on a Samsung S21 Ultra. My wife has the iPhone 13 Pro Max so hopefully I'll try and connect her phone to the system to try out CarPlay.

Edit: I should also note that I haven't had any issues with my BLIS, CTA, Parking Sensors, Rear Camera, Lane Keep Assist, City Safety or ACC; I tried them all out and they work.

Reactions: T6dude