SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
541 - 560 of 568 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is the new MCU version that is supposed to provide the overlay .. version 1.9
Put the .BIN file on the root folder of usb stick and plug it into the usb cable .. you should get a window that pops up asking if you if you want to find the MCU file and upgrade .. select YES and let it upgrade .. the system will reboot after about a minute and it will pop up the upgrade window again, this time choose cancel ... check the system version screen and verify that MCU is now updated to V1.9 ...
After updateing, go into factory settings and enter the advanced settings .. password is 8818 .. scroll down to the air conditioner display option (at the very bottom) and turn it on .. then select "sync" .. reboot the system..

This Should give you the overlay.. however it did NOT work for me on my 2012 XC60 ... manufacturer confirmed that it did work on another clients vehicle but talking to the engineers about perhaps a fix for mine .. so in other words, try this at your own risk! .. Everything else seems to still work properly at the V1.9 so at least I didn't brick my unit

volvo_v1.9.0.zip
Thank you! So great to have the AC controls popup!

·
Registered
Volvo XC60 D5 R-Design 2012 Polestar (Aftermarket CarPlay & Front Camera)
298 Posts
Thank you! So great to have the AC controls popup!
Good to hear you are one of the lucky ones that it worked for - out of interest which model / year Volvo?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
Anyone else having an issue where the navigation doesn't work via voice in Android auto? Needed directions this morning, pressed the button, said "navigate to my destination" it responded and said OK, let's go, or something like that, but never actually loaded a route. Even after restarting the car.

It does pull up directions if the destination is in the search box.

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
So gave the Sumps version above a whirl in my 2015 XC60 T6 (not .5)

do get a display when I alter climate controls now - fan speed, vents selected all work well - temperature works but is in Celsius, can’t find anywhere to change that, and the numbers are a bit off - 62 F in the Volvo display, lowest temp available above LO translates to 14 C - should be 16 - curiously when you turn it down from LO the CarPlay display goes to Hi then 28.5 then 28 then LO again… this issue means the Volvo and CarPlay displays can get out of synch…. High number on CarPlay is 22c,Volvo 82 which should be 27.7 c

Edit: so it doesn’t actually get out of synch, I got confused by the two LO indications, but the scale runs LO, 28, 28.5, HI, LO, 14, then in .5 increments to 22, then HI - Oem scale goes LO, 62 thru 82 then HI - same number of steps just that odd sequence at the low end on the CarPlay, and the temperature numbers do not match…

Further edit: changed temperature setting in “My XC60” to Celsius and then the Volvo and CarPlay displays match, running LO, 17-27 in .5 steps, then HI… reverting car setting to Fahrenheit brings back the strange sequence detailed above on the CarPlay display.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi
Quick update - I asked & heard back from Kremersino if any progress getting Aircon setting to display on CarPlay on our older XC60 cars - unfortunately no progress as they have yet to find a car locally to test on 😟. I offered to assist with my car remotely but so far that hasn’t produced a response. not great news but thought I’d share ..

·
Registered
XC70 2016 AWD D4 Polestar
3 Posts
I just asked my aliexpress supplier for new firmware for my car for the AC info and the problem with dark mode when lights are set to auto. this is the response I got:
Font Screenshot Technology Software Rectangle

will I brick my box if I install version 1.9.0 that's available here in the forum? (or is there a way to make a backup?)

·
Registered
298 Posts
re: new firmware for my car for the AC info and the problem with dark mode when lights are set to auto.will I brick my box if I install version 1.9.0 that's available here in the forum? (or is there a way to make a backup?)
Two Seperate issues imho:
1. MCU 1.9.0 added AC info display for some cars (xc60 2012 like mine it did not fix, but another xc60 2015 user it did) so it may work for your car - up to you to try. I’ve never seen or heard of anybody bricking their CarPlay, but there is always a small risk when changing firmware. I and others have upgraded and downgraded CarPlay MCU firmware without issue.
There is no backup as such, one installs MCU software via USB - carplay unit will install it even if it’s an earlier version than currently installed. Key here is you should (not mandatory but good practice) have a copy of your ‘current’ MCU software before upgrading to 1.9.0 so you can reverse out if necessary. i didn’t when I started - but got a copy from another user now I keep at least one old version in case.
2. Regarding CarPlay Darkmode when on Auto Headlight - so my car is different to yours, but in my experience My CarPlay unit would always go to Darkmode in ANY headlight switch position other than off. my car headlight switch did not have Auto position. I bought a switch with auto - and programmed car using VDASH (in which there are headlight options) to enable the switch. CarPlay now only goes into darkmode (when it gets dark / tunnel) based on lights auto activating based on dash light sensor as it should. (And of course if I manually turn on headlights, or parking lights) brightness of car screen when dark is also influenced / controlled by ambient light sensor. What’s not different / not working with your Auto headlights?
hope this helps

·
Registered
XC70 2016 AWD D4 Polestar
3 Posts
Two Seperate issues imho:
1. MCU 1.9.0 added AC info display for some cars (xc60 2012 like mine it did not fix, but another xc60 2015 user it did) so it may work for your car - up to you to try. I’ve never seen or heard of anybody bricking their CarPlay, but there is always a small risk when changing firmware. I and others have upgraded and downgraded CarPlay MCU firmware without issue.
There is no backup as such, one installs MCU software via USB - carplay unit will install it even if it’s an earlier version than currently installed. Key here is you should (not mandatory but good practice) have a copy of your ‘current’ MCU software before upgrading to 1.9.0 so you can reverse out if necessary. i didn’t when I started - but got a copy from another user now I keep at least one old version in case.
2. Regarding CarPlay Darkmode when on Auto Headlight - so my car is different to yours, but in my experience My CarPlay unit would always go to Darkmode in ANY headlight switch position other than off. my car headlight switch did not have Auto position. I bought a switch with auto - and programmed car using VDASH (in which there are headlight options) to enable the switch. CarPlay now only goes into darkmode (when it gets dark / tunnel) based on lights auto activating based on dash light sensor as it should. (And of course if I manually turn on headlights, or parking lights) brightness of car screen when dark is also influenced / controlled by ambient light sensor. What’s not different / not working with your Auto headlights?
hope this helps
1. I got a MCU 1.9.1 firmware from the seller. I installed it but it seems like there is no difference for my car. (No AC info, and didn't find anything else new either)
He would send the 1.4.4 version when he got back to the office.

2. My lights seems to follow either top left table or bottom right table in this post: Android Auto / CarPlay retrofit - prior to 2015.5 model...
only the "0" position give me the day-mode

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the Volvo OEM front camera is installed also works when the CAM button is pressed while using the Kremersino CarPlay unit?

If i’m correct i have read somewhere that it may NOT pop-up when the CAM button is pressed. Only the OEM rear camera will (automaticall) pop-up when reverse is selected.

Can anyone with a Kremersino unit, and also this OEM front camera confirm (or try) this functionality?

Thanks in advance for those who help me with this answer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the Volvo OEM front camera is installed also works when the CAM button is pressed while using the Kremersino CarPlay unit?

If i’m correct i have read somewhere that it may NOT pop-up when the CAM button is pressed. Only the OEM rear camera will (automaticall) pop-up when reverse is selected.

Can anyone with a Kremersino unit, and also this OEM front camera confirm (or try) this functionality?

Thanks in advance for those who help me with this answer.
I have Kremersino CarPlay and confirm your second paragraph is all correct. (NOT pop-up when the CAM button is pressed…)

I don’t have OEM front camera so can’t answer definitively. Funny though - I’ve just messaged Kremersino asking them if they could program (say) ‘#’ button on car console to activate Front Camera view by user on demand when using CarPlay. (By reading / learning # key CANBUS key operation from users car - as they have advised CANBUS for console keys is apparently different codes for differing cars or models - implying to me at least that it’s not just a once off software setting they could make.

·
Registered
2015 S60 GT6 Platinum R-Design
198 Posts
Alright gents, I'm thinking of taking the plunge on this upgrade and just wanted to share my current setup to get your opinion on whether or not it's worth it.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Automotive navigation system

Currently I brought over my pretty slick tablet setup that I had in my C30 (because there were no real integrated solutions). This is a nice 8.5" android tablet with a 2560x1600 screen that runs an emulator and local wifi network to pair with my android phone. It's pretty seamless and I have it fully automated with Tasker, no complaints other than it taking up space.

Upgrading to one of these boxes gives me a much cleaner solution, but a worse resolution screen and potentially no touch, along with whatever gremlins y'all are still dealing with. I'm a software engineer by trade and always an early adopter, so such gremlins aren't a deal breaker, but I'm still wondering.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm thinking of taking the plunge on this upgrade and just wanted to share my current setup to get your opinion on whether or not it's worth it..

Upgrading to one of these boxes gives me a much cleaner solution, but a worse resolution screen and potentially no touch, along with whatever gremlins y'all are still dealing with. I'm a software engineer by trade and always an early adopter, so such gremlins aren't a deal breaker, but I'm still wondering.
No simple answer, think you have defined the situation correctly:
  • there is an integrated Touch Screen (optional additional purchase) for the Carplay box which of course then provides user full Touch Screen capability when in CarPlay (obviously the touch screen capability does not extend to oem screen functions outside CarPlay).
  • I personally like the integrated look & feel of the operation, love the integrated steering wheel control & use this extensively.
  • you are technically correct on screen resolution, imho whilst the oem 7” screen is small, it’s more than adequate for all it’s used for (eg navigation eg Waze etc is where resolution might matter most & it’s fine).
  • the Carplay unit also switches to ’night mode’ based on OEM Dash light sensor (same as OEM does) and CarPlay screen brightness adjusts at night based on same oem Dash light sensor reading of ambient light intensity. (so on a dark night country road - display is dimmed like all dash lighting based on user dashboard lighting setting on console.
  • FYI I added a front camera (have Oem rear camera) - it’s resolution is great & works well, but so far, only activates when moving into ‘Drive’ for CarPlay user selectable seconds (I have it at 15 seconds) - so when exiting a car park for example. It can also be manually turned on through CarPlay menu, but that’s not practically useful when (say) entering a parking spot. Hopefully one day they will add integrated CarPlay user ability to activate from a button on console or like.
  • you probably have ability to mirror phone on your current setup, it works fine on this unit too, so for example when parked (safety) I’ve occasionally played YouTube videos or streaming TV stations onto Carpkay - players full screen & through car audio. Neat but gimmick really (for me).
all these I beleive are differences to your setup, but also arguably minor but nice to have features, which only you can determine if it’s worth it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for sharing appreciated too - I’ve just loaded up on my car & have not noticed any changes from MCU 1.9.0.
I guess reading Change log would provide the detail - oh wait they don’t include one 🥴😉.

541 - 560 of 568 Posts