SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
Volvo XC60 D5 R-Design 2012 Polestar (Aftermarket CarPlay & Front Camera)
308 Posts
My MCU and unit firmware is the same as everyone else's above (the one dated 06/30). I have not physically gotten to the point where the screen in Sensus will turn off, so maybe I just haven't gotten a fading screen yet because I haven't got to that point.

Have any of you tried the USB music player inside the normal menu? I tried it earlier with my USB stick with flac files, however it will only show all the files in one giant folder instead of listed as they are according to album and artist. I asked the seller about that; he will ask the engineer.
Hi
Hope you don’t mind me chiming in on this, I’ve just installed same unit in my XC60 2912 (impressed!) - I noticed your comment regarding USB music player & its lack of ability to navigate (music) folders - not great as I have a number of albums stored as folders. Did you get any joy in resolving? I too asked supplier (Kremersino in China in my case) they were very responsive & helpful when I was installing unit but no joy on this question so far.

·
Registered
308 Posts
When you do the echo test... Just be warned you're going to get a very high pitch test noise for a few seconds. A little warning on the menu to indicator that would have been nice. o_O
I tried echo test (just was curios) and it failed (message popped up stating words to that effect) - not a big deal for me but wondering why. ( I’ve installed unit in XC60 2012 & CarPlay unit using car built in Mic in case that’s relevant also iPhone but I doubt relevant as Echo test is independent of phone I’m pretty sure. Any suggestions why it would have failed?

·
Registered
308 Posts
..something cool is that I can turn on the lights at home, change the thermostat settings while I am driving if needed.

I’m envious - unfortunately I’m on IOS phone which doesn’t allow Google Assistant, which I assume is how you are doing this, to be reached from CarPlay as I understand. So for me no car hands free contact with home automation (Google & Smarthome). Would be fun.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had an issue with mine for the 2nd time today, it'll just freeze entirely, the only way to get it back responding is to fully shut the car off. Not a huge deal, both times it's happened though have been times I'm using navigation in an unfamiliar area. Having to them find somewhere to stop safely, reboot the unit, while staying on route is not the easiest!!

The seller sent me the link to the touchscreen...

I'm not sure I'll bother with it, I think it replaces the units we're running entirely. Unless I can return my existing one, I'm not about to throw the money I spent on my current unit down the drain just to get touchscreen capability.
Just before I ordered mine I asked about touch screen & to their credit they advised they were in final testing of an updated unit that supported touch screen and asked if I wanted to wait and order that one. I asked if there were any other material changes to main unit & was told no - so I declined, also believing (at the time hoping) that touching the screen was both unnecessary, awkward (die to screen location) and imho a distraction. Now using unit I’ve no regrets not having screen. Fortunately not experienced any system lockups requiring a reset 🤞. Out if curiosity - where have those of you experiencing this installed the CarPlay box? I’m wondering if heat has persisted anything to do with this? (just a wild guess, mine is still ‘loose’ under passenger side carpet atm - I kept it accessible for now in case I need to do anything on the unit will I’m familiarising it’s operation.

·
Registered
308 Posts
One unexpected things I’ve had with my unit
1. Echo test (under factory settings) had never worked - fails every time I try running it, that said I’m not having issues so it was just a test (curiosity) but weird it fails. My gut atm is I’m not testing under same conditions as others whom have run this test reliably 🤷‍♂️. I’m on IOS (just to be sure) wirelessly connected, though phone connected connected to CarPlay unit USB line for charging.

2. Other is a little more weird - on startup I often have car audio on Radio not Aux (to listen to radio of course). When it starts connecting CarPlay - the AM radio station I’m tuned to changes frequency?? The station (a favorite) is on 693Mhz - car switches to 630Mhz (no radio station there by the way)?? No idea why this happens or even if it’s the CarPlay unit causing this at all. I’ll do a little bit more testing to verify - anybody else see this kind of thing?
Cheers

·
Registered
308 Posts
Echo test working depends on the firmware installed on the unit.. my unit's firmware does not have a working echo test either .. however you can go into the advanced menu in the factory settings and manually set the Echo delay to get rid of the issue with echoing people would hear when you placed or received a call..
Reassuring to hear it’s not just my unit thanks. I didn’t see manual adjustment in factory settings area but perhaps I missed it thanks I’ll check when I get a chance. - thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
When you go into the factory settings menu you will see an "advanced" option which will ask for a numeric password .. the password is 8818 .. that will that you into another menu where you can set advanced functions.. you'll find the manual echo delay there..
Yes thanks I’ve been in there using code - I only noticed echo test (which failed as discussed amongst the other settings under advanced) but perhaps I’ve just forgotten what’s there - will check cheers

·
Registered
308 Posts
Had the same issue with echo test not working under MCU: Volvo_1.3.3, upgraded firmware and MCU to Volvo_1.3.4 and echo test works fine. Best run with vehicle not running for 100% result. Mine is set to 0 running Carplay via USB connection and phone reception is very good.
Thanks Andy! that explains things - yes I’m on Volvo_1.3.3
So a few have mentioned updated firmware generally and this version specifically - as a techie at heat I’m interested / curious. Firstly where did you get it (it’s not on a web site perhaps where one could check & download as needed is it?)
and secondly was there a particular reason or issue to be addressed that resulted in later firmware fixing it? -changelog in technical speak.
Cheers

·
Registered
308 Posts
No changelogs that I am aware of, I contact Michael at KremerSino if I have an issue and he usually sends me an update. MCU: Volvo_1.3.3 was very stable with the exception of the echo cancellation being broken. I am experiencing occasional screen blackouts (no video) at boot up with MCU: Volvo_1.3.4. There is an updated MCU: Volvo_1.4.1 on the KremerSino web site download page but not sure if it is applicable/suitable for pre 2015.5 Volvo systems. My XC60 is a 2016 model so I have just updated the MCU to Volvo_1.4.1, will see if that has fixed the occasional screen blackouts (no video) at boot up. The download page is found on the KremerSino web page under Support. Password is 1234.
Cheers
Cheers Andy 👍
I also messaged Ever, the person I’d been dealing with at KremerSino & asked about changelog / changes to Firmware - was told the 1.3.4 firmware improved some functions with AndroidAuto and (quite reasonably) not to update firmware unless there is a problem (I know this having worked in electronics for many years - so good general advice). that said 😉 I’ll now go and get the updated firmware & consider installing it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes Numeric Keyboard works on mine too - keys 8 and 2 functions already mentioned - in case all not aware (as mentioned it’s not in the instruction guide 🤷‍♂️) other numeric keys work too - up down direction is achieved using keys 2/8, 5 is ‘ok’ and left right direction using keys 4 or 6. 😊

·
Registered
308 Posts
Over past weekend I took the plunge and finally retrofit installed the aftermarket front camera (supplied and recommended to me by KremerSino - not expensive) and I’m delighted - works great. My car had OEM reverse camera (and of course the CAM button that this option provides) and only reverse Doppler sensors - which as most would know are invaluable when parking). I regularly seem to be parking in tight spots between two cars, and having rear sensors for me made the lack of proximity awareness in front quite disappointing & frustrating. The front camera has definitely improved this, although I just completed the install last night so still familiarising myself with the camera operation. In simple summary, the CarPlay unit (to which the camera is connected and powered from) has settings to cause front camera to display for 0, 5, 10 or 20 secs (I have at 10) when gear shift moves from park (or reverse) to Drive (ie when getting out of a parking spot). One can also manually turn the front camera on from the CarPlay device Home Screen (the one that comes up if you select ‘Volvo’ from CarPlay screen.
Install took me about 4 hours - but it could be done faster - I was learning, being extra careful, cleaning car parts I took apart in process of install & figuring out routing of camera cable from front of car to passenger side interior where my CarPlay unit is located.
Happy to try answer any questions, I did take some pics (not enough - damned rainstorm came through halfway through install = panic!)
pic of front cam view attached
Sky Plant Asphalt Road surface Automotive tire

Font Electronic device Technology Electric blue Machine

Plant Grille Hood Car Automotive tire

Reactions: abcdefghii

·
Registered
308 Posts
That looks great, do you have a link to the camera you used?
Ill see if I can find it sure, I bought it from Kremsino shop on AliExpress at their recommendation when I asked them about their supported & recommended Cameras for their CarPlay unit for my car (told them I needed one for XC60 R-Design RHD 2012. Mention this only as there (I assume) may be differing camera mounts for different models of car, by asking them (they are very responsive) they should provide best advice for individual needs.
Edit - found it,
AU $34.38 | HD Front Car Camera For Volvo XC60 XC90 S40 C70 S60 Before 2020 Models
Pics of camera I ordered
Adapter Gadget Audio equipment Font Cable

Costume hat Hat Audio equipment Security Musical instrument

Reactions: abcdefghii

·
Registered
308 Posts
Does anyone have instructions to install Firmware / Software for the Kremsino Airplay unit they could share / send me please? I have access to the firmware just not seen instructions on how to install
& probably a good idea to read them first - I’m guessing it’s a simple load onto formatted to FAT32 USB, install to root directory & unit will self detect & install? I’d prefer to backup / have a copy of old / existing firmware too (currently on 1.3.1) - seems they remove previous versions on website when new version released.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks - unfortunately onedrive indicates I don’t have access so couldn’t download
Thanks alas no but don’t worry further thanks (appreciate effort) I did get confirmation from supplier just to load sw to usb as i thought & found video decribing process too here

Reactions: ttknf

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'll shoot the seller a message via WhatsApp, they have been pretty responsive to questions. My only concern is that they don't seem all that familiar with the unit, for example I asked them a while back about a Car, Sound and Display setting in the factory settings menu and they did not really know what those did. So, they may not know what I am asking or be able to help!
I’ve similar perception— Seller very helpful & responsive on install etc but I’ve not had much luck on technical suggestions. (Perhaps they need more requests from users) For example:

1. As I installed (their) Front Camera (my car has OEM rear camera & therefore CAM button on console - I asked if SW could be modded (since SW already reads some of the console keys like the numeric keys and all steering wheel buttons) to enable NAV button to toggle between front and rear camera view (Which I think would be useful) in addition to current timed view of front camera when moving gear select from Park or Reverse to Drive. That said, current operation isn’t bad - it would just be better. [I can though select Front camera view from settings whilst driving - pretty cool to see though quite unnecessary when driving)
2. I too see the CarPlay unit appears capable of supporting (specific list of) Radio and TV tuners (in factory settings - I tried & brings up new Radio interface but of course expects to find a tuner connected to CarPlay unit which isn’t) - my (possible) interest is adding a DAB+ tuner - how cool would that be (my car only has AM/FM).
3. again under Factory settings - there are settings for Steering Wheel button learning (I’m guessing to program a steering wheel button to perform a particular function - might be useful for my Front Cam idea but so far, my playing around functions appear limited.
I certainly DO NOT advise others to meddle with otherwise working systems - it usually ends in tears. I’m sharing my thoughts and impressions to discuss and learn what may be possible, and what others may have discovered.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Intergrated Automotive UK and if they were more knowledgeable with some of the more technical settings.

I wondered that too - hopefully someone on here may have & would comment.

..option to display the HVAC information, it was enabled on mine but the HVAC details do not show on screen.

yes I likewise tried that with same (no display of HVAC) result. I’m guessing it’s not a Volvo specific setting and only works for certain car makes 🤷‍♂️.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't seem to have that option in my unit
It’s not easy to find - it’s in the factory settings (the ones you need to enter passcode to access, then scroll down to the very bottom of the list (picture attached should help) , it’s just after the SWC (Steering Wheel Control) learning option. That said as mentioned before on my car anyway it unfortunately does not display the Aircon setting on the CarpPlay display (assuming that’s what it’s supposed to do on supported cars.
Car Automotive design Plant Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is not how my menu looks at all. Have been in the factory menu several times; all I recall being in there are the screen calibration and echo cancellation and logo. Hmm.
Yes mine is same - from that screen (which displays ‘Factory Mode’ at the top, there should be several selectable options ‘Boot Logo, ‘Factory setting’, LCD test’ and ‘Screenshot’. Select Factory setting -
Vehicle Gas Personal luxury car Font Automotive design

it should then prompt for PIN - enter 8818 using steering wheel control to select PIN digits displayed on screen one at a time then select displayed ‘OK’ button.
Gas Audio equipment Electric blue Machine Font

Then you should see the option list I originally posted - obviously don’t change anything one doesn’t understand - it’s an advanced menu for technical configuration and I certainly don’t wish to inadvertently cause folks to incorrectly configure their systems but it is useful to know they are there for those of us technically willing and able to experiment / explore.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What does "Door prompt" do? I have both "Enable Aircondition display" and "Door prompt" ticked in the settings but they don't seem to do anything!
I have ticked "Enable Right view" on mine for the RHS drive vehicle in Australia.
I can’t help you I’m afraid - what any of these options do imho is a process of user discovery (us!) (supplier have provided little documentation on this). So far my experience has been they appear to be options that are either still in development (unlikely but possible) or are system options that work / apply to certain cars / configurations.
I had a quick look at the software / firmware update config files - they do (as I’d expect) set configuration parameters for the unit depending on the manufacturer, car, model but that’s as far as I got - I’m going to dabble a bit to see if it’s possible to get the Volvo OEM aircon setting to display while using CarPlay. First thing is to establish if any of the OEM Volvo display info car be seen / enabled at same time as CarPlay screen, it may not be, if it is then I’ll experiment with trying to reducing CarPlay display size (defined in config files) to see if I can get bottom of screen to show the Aircon settings. That said expectations low as if it were that easy they would have enabled it.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts