SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just got my unit installed into my Xc60 .. a little bit more of a pain removing the screen than the s60 due to the way the centre console is put together, but I got it done..
I am running apple CarPlay rather than android auto and I tried both wireless and usb connections .. for the most part everything works very well, however I too have had the same issue with call quality .. The caller comes in loud and clear over the speakers, However they have said they can hear their own voice echo back to them .. Turning down the aux input volume setting does help with the issue, however this turns down the overall speaker output volume ..
I believe the echo cancelation feature in the factory menu will only work if an external mic is used instead of the oem mic... I wonder if it's possible install an external mic to help with the call quality issue..

I've also gotten the screen fading after sitting in acc mode for awhile .. I believe the timing is the same timing as when the oem radio usually pops up the screen warning that it is about to shut down on ..

Over all the system works great with certain limitations due to connecting through the AUX system...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm trying to install this now on my XC60 too but I'm having a pretty tough time with the black plastic housing underneath the waterfall console. I cannot remove the screen because this piece is blocking access to the screws.

Can you tell me how you got this part off? It's definitely a more difficult process with the XC60 than it is with the V60 or S60.
You won't like what I have to tell you ...
According to VIDA screen removal instructions you pry that black frame forward, you don't actually remove it ... It definitely is not something I would do in the dead of winter when the plastic is cold and brittle, but I was able to man handle it enough to get the screen in and out .. not the most elegant method..

Slope Font Triangle Parallel Urban design

·
Registered
127 Posts
A couple oddities I've noticed .. When in ACC power, the system puts itself into "light/daytime" mode.. however when I turn on my ignition the system automatically places itself into "Dark/nighttime" mode .. dropping into the systems main menu (not CarPlay or android auto) shows a half moon in the upper corner denoting night mode ...

Trying a few different things I pulled the little dummy plug they provide out of the AUX input.. I expected to have no sound output .. however I still heard my music, just at a much lower volume.. so why is sound leaking through with the plug removed?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Unfortunately, I have an issue with my unit as well. While my Volvo screen works well, when I go to the Carplay/Android unit by long pressing EXIT, the screen becomes blurry and loses color basically. Here is a picture of what it looks like:

View attachment 137117

I'm talking with the seller now, but this is obviously not good. I haven't put everything back together yet as I wanted to test it first and it's a good thing I did.
Gonna be a pain in the ass, but I would definitely double check all the connections, including the flat ribbon cables and additional cables added to the display ..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do your interfaces go into "dark mode" when you when you switch ignition on? If you go into the main home screen (where you set car settings) there will be a half moon icon on the upper right corner if it is in night mode..

I think the units sense dark and light mode depending if the headlights are activated or not .. I've got a canadian vehicle so my headlights are always on no matter what switch position when the ignition is on ... it would be nice if instead it used the ambient light sensor to switch into light and dark mode

·
Registered
127 Posts
I didn't see this post earlier, but I tried the same thing and my sound actually didn't change at all lol. I don't really understand the point of the dummy plug. I left it in there but so far it's made no difference whatsoever.
Strange that yours doesn't act the same way as mine .. Do you notice a volume difference between playing music through the unit and playing music through the standard radio? Have you adjusted your Aux input volume?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Okay, just did some call testing with my wife and I have been able to consistently stop the call from echoing on her end. After immediately answering or placing a call she will experience an echo in her side until I do something on the physical phone… that could be turning on the display if it’s turned off or swiping the screen.. the moment there is activity on the phone the echoing stops on her side… this is on my IPhone connected wirelessly to the system.. we tried this half a dozen times and I was able to cancel the echo at will…

·
Registered
127 Posts
The screen going white to save power makes sense, however this is the behaviour I ran into tonight when I went to pick up my daughter.. I got to the parking lot and shut off the ignition, normally the radio stays powered up for another 15 mins or if the door is opened.. once the ignition was shut off, the CarPlay screen disappeared and I was dropped back into the Aux screen.. this was perfect, I just switched over to my radio to listen to music as I waited .. after about 3 minutes the screen went white, even though I was in the radio screen.. I touched the radio button and screen went back to normal, however every few mins the screen would go white again…it just kept cycling this way until I turned then ignition back on…quirky, but livable..

I’m going to ask about being able to override the night mode setting.. all Canadian spec xc60s have their lights on all the time.. the headlight switch basically does nothing… which means my carplay permanently displays in dark mode.. since I drive 90% during the day it would be better to have the day mode active all the time..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Today on a lengthy drive, my wife was in the car so we hooked up her iPhone through the USB and used CarPlay and everything worked flawlessly. I noticed that the time isn't cutoff the same way it is when using Android Auto. My wife was impressed at how modern the Infotainment looks now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Notice your wife uses Waze .. There is a bug with waze with apple carplay where the volume of any music you are listen to will drop quite a bit when using it .. very annoying, but the issue is not specific to this unit.. does it on any CarPlay system..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi All,

purchased the same unit from Aliexpress. Fitted to a 2011 RHD Australian S60 T5. That combines with a TFT swap just transforms the interior and modernises it. Thanks to everyone on this forum for guidance. This has totally upgraded the car.

Im getting the same white screen issues as everyone else when the engine isn't running

Also where is everyone hiding the control unit. Mine just fits behind the carpet. Will this thing generate excessive heat and is it safe to slide it behind there? I can't figure out how to get the glovebox out.

Also my Car doesn't have a reversing camera. But when I chuck the car in reverse I now see guide lines. So there must be a provision for a third party reverse cam. Im not sure where that would connect to on this unit. View attachment 137234
On the front of the box, beside the red lights you should see a white connector port.. it should be marked F/R-V .. that is the input for the cameras .. You should have also received a 2 wire harness with 1 wire a yellow female RCA connector and the other a green wire marked FV-12V .. you would plug that connector to the box and your camera into the yellow RCA..

My box is currently behind the carpet, I will adding a little more protection in this area so it doesn't get bang around too much..

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have mine under the passenger carpet.

I also have those lines pop up (no backup camera on my 2013 XC60). However, I did buy a $30 one from eBay that is designed to replace one of the license plate lights on the tailgate. I am going to install that tomorrow hopefully. I'll wire power from the reverse light and then run a wire up to the box. It connects at the yellow RCA cable on the box.

Definitely a cool extra feature of this box because it already does so much.
Yellow RCA cable on the same harness as the USB cable is marked Video OUTPUT .. I don't believe that is the proper input for camera.. There is a F/R-V input on the front of the box for camera input which also has 12V so you don't need to splice into the car wiring harness.

here is a link for the suggested camera for this unit:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hopefully that watermark isn't followed up with the software disabling itself after awhile .. I haven't seen any such watermark, but i'm also running Apple CarPlay.. I'll keep my eyes open for it though ...

·
Registered
127 Posts
My Bad for linking that particular camera .. there are several cameras available, I just grabbed the first link that i saw on Kremersino's store (they sell the same CarPlay unit) as an example of the required camera connector type and didn't really think too much about the physical mounting ...

·
Registered
127 Posts
software CIB_8818_5G V3.9.3.0717
Hardware - 03-0010-06-00-00-00-00
System - Linux_3.4.0_2021-06-30
Bluetooth - BT825,V5.5.0
MCU - Volvo_1.3.3

If possible would you mind sending me a copy of the firmware you were sent?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sure thing, I'll put it on a shared location later this evening.

Edit:
Here you go, I'm not sharing the MCU file they sent me as it causes my system to freeze requiring an engine restart.

And here is a link to the instructions.

Hoping I can get a downgrade on the MCU file later, while I can back out into Sensus. The Android unit freezes entirely.
Great thanks, I just loaded it.. no visible difference other than a new option in the camera options for "radar" which my previous version did not have... Crap to hear about your MCU issue though, thanks for being the test subject

·
Registered
127 Posts
Other sellers of the similar unit sell a usb to Aux box that plugs into the cars USB port for those who don’t have Aux option.. you would then set the unit in iPod mode rather than Aux… I wonder if switching to that kind of input would improve things?

·
Registered
127 Posts
My screen will fade out ONLY when I shut off the ignition (Hit the start/stop button) and do not open the door to shut the car off.. let's see I am picking up my kids and so I arrive at the parking lot, stop, shut off the car but want to continue listening to music ... Before the car play unit, I could continue listening to music until the display stated it would shut the car off in 2 mins ... with the CarPlay unit installed, once I shut off the ignition, it will drop me back into the AUX screen automatically.. I can go back into the CarPlay screen by holding down the exit button, however after a few minutes the LCD will fade out no matter what mode I am in..

If I enter the car and turn ignition to ignition 1, which I suspect P.Rico is doing, then I will not get the white screen .. it will work normally until I turn the ignition off and leave the car..

P.rico, next time you are done a drive and shut the engine off, before the exit the car, could you see if you get the white screen after a few minutes?

·
Registered
127 Posts
okay I belive that I got my phone echo issue fixed (using an iphone 11 connected wireless to carplay)
going into the factory settings mode there is an "advanced" options menu that is protected with a numerical code. the code to enter this menu is "8818" .. going into this menu will present a few new options (bootlogo, screenshot, lcd test).. choosing the "factory settings" option will show a bunch of new options , scrolling through the options you will find a "AEC Delay" option .. this is the Auto echo cancellation option .. I played around with a few of the timing options and figured that the long the delay, the longer the echo cancellation took to kick in.. Setting the option to "200" it took about 30 seconds of conversation before the echo disappeared on the callers end.. setting the delay to "50" and the echo was not present at all ... By default this option is set at "0" , which I believe sets the echo cancellation off completely ..
After making your setting change, select the "Sync" option at the bottom .. this will write the change to the configuration file.. then select "apply" .. I then shut the car and system off and wait about 30 seconds before turning things back on .. go back into the menu and verify that the AEC change stuck .. if it remains at "0" then it didn't write the change to the config file ..
Tried several phone calls after making this change and they were all clear and echo free!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts