SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 568 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few have installed an Android Auto / Carplay capable retrofit to the 2015.5 and on vehicles, but has anyone installed one in an earlier model year? Talking 2011 through early 2015?

I had a rental a few days last week and it came with Android Auto, being able to just plug my phone in and respond to messages via voice, use Google maps etc. reminded me how much I miss having it as an option. Started looking at what is available on aliexpress, but my concern is that without any real knowledge of anyone using one of those units, how reliable are they, I don't want to go spending $400+ on something that ends up being junk.

Here are a few I have come across...

With that one though, there is no split for early 2015 and late 2015. They have options for 2011 - 2014 and 2015 - 2017, as we all know, the 2015.5 is different, so I would assume a 2014 would work, but it's an expensive and possibly frustrating gamble if you have to return the unit.

This second one looks decent, but $720, is it worth the premium over the one above:

It specifically says it works with all factory functions though, including the back up cam.

Finally, this one is available but something about it looks off.

There are a ton of others on there as well, problem is knowing which are reliable and which are garbage.

Anyone installed one? How did it go? Which did you use?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I would be interested in Carplay as well. However none of these look ideal to me. These all look the same except for maybe the past one and they require a GPS antenna for some reason. And I don't think these use the OEM backup camera. It looks like there's an option to buy theirs.

I would want a system that adds on to the existing. Using all OEM equipment, mics, antennas, cameras ect. Then what happens when you change the temperature or seat heaters, do you see that screen overlay on the Carplay screen?

I am curious if anyone has added Carplay to an early MY.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using all OEM equipment, mics, antennas, cameras ect. Then what happens when you change the temperature or seat heaters, do you see that screen overlay on the Carplay screen?
Yep, that's my concern with some of these, I want to still use the OEM mic and back up camera, but it's a gamble on an earlier one. The look of the unit is not my favorite, but the added functionality I could get over it.

From the ones I have seen, then you get an overlay on the CarPlay / AA screen of the climate controls.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you check out the other thread on the newer ones, I'm pretty sure [email protected] installed one like this in his car. He said it works well. Can't remember the year off the top of my head though.
I think his car is a later 2015 though, one of these days I'm going to ambush him at Dulles cars and coffee to take a look at it, especially if it is an early 2015.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think his car is a later 2015 though, one of these days I'm going to ambush him at Dulles cars and coffee to take a look at it, especially if it is an early 2015.
Ah, I was thinking maybe it was a 2013 or something.

In any case, I think this will work for pre-2015.5 cars. It is more of a replacement compared to the other android auto/CarPlay systems that just operate side by side with the one that already exists.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Here's one that looks plug and play but I think needs a touch screen?

Does anyone here have experiance with this one?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
So I ordered this one last week from AliExpress after speaking with them (great communication) and comparing it to the same exact unit from Intergrated Automotive UK unit which was double the price after price conversion. The both have the same exact setup, used the same exact installation PDF (literally same photos) and I just figured I'll try it out and see how it goes. If all else fails they said they would fully refund me if I wasn't happy. The unit is both Wireless for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Note that Sensus systems prior to 2015.5 will require you to remove the screen to install a PCB Chipboard to make this all work; apparently the 2015.5-up models already have this and not needed for those installs.

Wireless Apple Carplay Car AI Box Android Auto Module For Volvo XC60 XC70 XC90 S60 S80 S90 V60 V70 V40 Mirror Link Decoder|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

Reactions: abcdefghii

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
This one has the wrong connector for 15.5 and up head-units.

I did buy one of the similar units that are for the internet/speak button versions… it worked great for four days then froze up towards the end of a four hour drive… next time I started up the center screen stayed blank and the DIM threw CTA and BLIS errors… removed the unit and all returned to normal thank goodness… did try reinstalling it a couple of weeks later same thing happened, so removed it again and consigned to the junk drawer in my garage. Hope you have better luck with yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I ordered this one last week from AliExpress after speaking with them (great communication) and comparing it to the same exact unit from Intergrated Automotive UK unit which was double the price after price conversion. The both have the same exact setup, used the same exact installation PDF (literally same photos) and I just figured I'll try it out and see how it goes. If all else fails they said they would fully refund me if I wasn't happy. The unit is both Wireless for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Note that Sensus systems prior to 2015.5 will require you to remove the screen to install a PCB Chipboard to make this all work; apparently the 2015.5-up models already have this and not needed for those installs.

Wireless Apple Carplay Car AI Box Android Auto Module For Volvo XC60 XC70 XC90 S60 S80 S90 V60 V70 V40 Mirror Link Decoder|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

Very interested in this, do you know if it can be fitted on a 5" screen ? I dont have the 832 option code to upgrade to a 7" :(

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Very interested in this, do you know if it can be fitted on a 5" screen ? I dont have the 832 option code to upgrade to a 7" :(
Message the seller from the link I provided, they'll be able to tell if it works on the 5" screen.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
This one has the wrong connector for 15.5 and up head-units.

I did buy one of the similar units that are for the internet/speak button versions… it worked great for four days then froze up towards the end of a four hour drive… next time I started up the center screen stayed blank and the DIM threw CTA and BLIS errors… removed the unit and all returned to normal thank goodness… did try reinstalling it a couple of weeks later same thing happened, so removed it again and consigned to the junk drawer in my garage. Hope you have better luck with yours.
The one I posted a link for isn't for 2015.5-2018, it's for the older SENSUS system. Hopefully I am lucky and have no issues. The unit I purchased is the same used by a UK company who has great reviews. Did your unit not come with a return policy?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The one I posted a link for isn't for 2015.5-2018, it's for the older SENSUS system. Hopefully I am lucky and have no issues. The unit I purchased is the same used by a UK company who has great reviews.
Any idea on when yours will arrive? I'm very tempted to just order one, my only concerns, albeit minimal, are Bluetooth phone performance and the rear camera.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Any idea on when yours will arrive? I'm very tempted to just order one, my only concerns, albeit minimal, are Bluetooth phone performance and the rear camera.
Mine says it'll be here on the 15th so hopefully I'll have time to install it in a day or two of getting it; I'm waiting on a part for the center console that I want to replace at the same time. BT you do need to disconnect your phone from the Volvo BT so it doesn't interfere with which system it's connected to. The rear camera works just like it does now they said and from the video with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 568 Posts